Is this normal?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark_Poet

Reaction score
I can't believe I'm actually talking about this..... But I'm kinda worried.
So.... Like yesterday for example, I kinda see things sometimes.

Yesterday while I was pacing around in the living room listening to music, I looked at the floor and on the spot where the tile is chipped I saw what kinda looked like a tentacle or a snake coming out of there.

It was only there for like a split second, but I'm guessing that's not exactly normal right? I kinda make fun of myself when stuff like this happens, but at the same time I'm kinda worried.

I don't know what to say to help give you a better understanding, so I'll throw some things in here that maybe will help.

I don't really dream at night, but sometimes I day dream like crazy.
The bad thing is, my day dreams usually involve girls rejecting me in really mean ways. Uhh... I'm terrified of snakes and sometimes if a leaf simply moves because of the wind, I kinda freeze up and think its a snake.

That's not the only imagery I've ever saw though.

One of the first examples I can think of is opening my front door and seeing some guy staring at me. There was no one really there, but it was weird to say the least.

When my therapist suggested that I see another lady to help, I started panicking so much that I actually saw a woman walk towards the front door. When I weighed myself on the wii and looked at the controller, it was stained with blood.

I'm really embarrassed and ashamed to admit this, but I'm kinda wondering if because I worry so much, that maybe that is the problem or maybe its like a really quick day dream that I snap out of?

....Sigh I'm losing it huh?

Thanks for listening.

Seeing stuff that isn't there, so vividly, is not normal. That is, it's quite normal for those with certain mental issues. If your therapist wants you to see someone else about this, I suggest you do it. There's a reason you see things like this, and it's important that you get the help you need to work through it.

Don't be embarrassed or ashamed about this. When you brake it down, it's all just hormones and neurons in your brain deviating a bit from their usual state. Think of it as a physiological illness, only that the symptoms aren't so physical. It doesn't mean there's antyhing WRONG with you, just like there's nothing WRONG with people who have cancer - they're just different forms of sickness.

Hope you work it out! Living with visions like that doesn't necessarily mean you've "lost it", but if you endure them for long enough, that may very well be the result. I wish you all the best.

Actually, you might want to have your vision checked.

A lot of people are misdiagnosed for hallucination/psychological problems, when really they just have bad eyesight or dark spots in their eyes, which are then misinterpreted by the brain as something that couldn't be real.

So you might get your eyes checked, at least to just rule this out.

Agree about having your eyes checked, plus there are also physical ailments that can cause "hallucinations". You may want to see a doc before you jump the gun and think it's mentally related.

So physical ailments that affect your eyesight...sounds like a neurological issue?

There's never any harm in checking everything, but I'm 99% sure that having a vision check won't help solve these symptoms at all. Bad eyesight, blurry vision, dark/light spots etc. are all fine, but you don't see your wii remote covered in blood, or a person in front of you when you open the door, if the only problems is with your sight.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.

Equinox said:
Seeing stuff that isn't there, so vividly, is not normal. That is, it's quite normal for those with certain mental issues. If your therapist wants you to see someone else about this, I suggest you do it. There's a reason you see things like this, and it's important that you get the help you need to work through it.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that I wrote that differently than I meant.

I didn't see the Wii Remote or the lady walking to the front door until my therapist suggested I see someone else. I didn't realize I wrote it that way and for that I apologize.

She recommended that I see an additional therapist to help expose me to my fears, and be there when my original therapist couldn't.
Then she told me that not only was the lady going to be near my age, she was also supposedly really pretty.

This sent me into a panic for about 2 months. In those 2 months was when I saw the woman walking towards the door and the blood stained controller. I feel awful like I deceived everyone for writing it that way. I'm sorry everyone! :(

You may actually be seeing things, or you might just have a really vivid imagination.

I went through a period where I saw things too, especially people that "weren't" there. I never received any kind of help for it, and eventually it stopped, though with a curiously "resolving" final vision. It hasn't bothered me ever since, and really it was never the kind of thing that I felt awkward telling people about. I mentioned it years later to a therapist in passing, and she didn't seem too awfully concerned about it.

The big yardstick here is if seeing these things makes you feel uncomfortable or not. If not, I wouldn't worry about them too much. If they're making you uncomfortable, or if you feel like they might lead to some sort of dangerous reaction (I almost slammed on my car brakes once because I thought I saw someone in the road, for example), then try talking to someone about them. They could just be the result of stress that you don't even know you have.

In any case, you're definitely not losing it. :) It's far more normal than you might think.

Latest posts

Back