How do you Feel about Bluntness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SophiaGrace

Like when people say "I am blunt" or "I prefer it when people are blunt"

I appreciate it. I don't want the run around to know something simple.

mintymint said:
SophiaGrace said:
"I am blunt"

"I'm a dick"

SophiaGrace said:
"I prefer it when people are blunt"

"I love getting butthurt"

So those are your translations of those statements?

I didn't think people who preferred those who were blunt towards them wanted to get butthurt.

-------------------------

setting minty's statements aside I will now step out and say how I feel about the matter.

I dislike bluntness. I think it's another word for being rude. (which is echoing minty's sentiments). I have gotten hurt over what people have said to me in the past, then they have defended themselves saying they were just being blunt and that I couldn't handle their bluntness.

Now, maybe i'm just crazy, but i would rather someone not be blunt towards me, be nice, b eceause it shows me that they care about how I feel and thus about me as well.

There are infinite roads we could traverse down in this subject:

- Tough Love (aka: to me, snarkiness - which is irritability and rudeness wrapped in a little bundle and thrust in the other person's face.)

- Political Correctness. (or as i'd prefer to call it "political correctness", beceause that's a term i deem rude people to use to make nice people look like they're in the wrong, when it's really them that's being rude.)

- Freedom of speech (another term I think rude people use)

- A Kick In The Butt ("A Kick In The Butt")

They're all the same to me.

To me, people who throw around these words lack compassion, kindness, gentleness...etc.

I shall await your further comments on this subject, and I have no doubt that many will disagree with me on this topic, but i am curious nontheless to see what you have to say.

I think people generally go the "tough love" and others listed below route when all else has failed. Kinda like a plan B when niceness has failed.

Lucky for me I am a proper gentleman with delicate sensibilities! :D

I appreciate it. I don't like lies, and I like it when people put their opinion right out on the table. I don't like people that are afraid to express their opinion, or people that will beat around the bush to avoid saying what they really mean. But it's probably because I am quite blunt and very honest.

But I believe this is also why I don't have many friends.... So... You either like it or you don't, I guess.

Well, maybe your afraid, but that doesn't seem to stop you. :D I like your opinions, and I often agree with you. You have nothing to be afraid of, at least when sharing with me. (hug)

I think there are things for which you should be blunt about and things for which you shouldn't be. Same thing with opinions, I think everyone has opinions that shouldn't be shared with some people or even most people.

I guess that doesn't really answer the title's question, but I just don't think I could give a yes/no answer. When people say they like when others are blunt, I don't think they actually mean they like when people are blunt at every single occasion possible, just in some situations where it's called for but the other just dodges the issue awkwardly. The problem is, people respond to it differently, and it's hard (impossible) to tell, so you can't please everybody.

I see "blunt" as meaning getting to the point without beating around the bush.
I also know rude people who are rude in a very roundabout or sneaky way. If someone has a problem, I prefer that they say it in the open instead of farting around or talking about me behind my back.
I've found that people on the Left Coast (California) aren't as blunt as people on the East Coast. I've had to tone down my bluntness (and accent) so I don't stick out as much.
So I prefer being blunt by getting to the point without hurting anyone's feelings.

Teresa

Badjedidude said:
I'm pretty sure everyone knows I'm all for bluntness. :cool:

Yes, you're quite blunt about your bluntness. :D

Yet I never read a post of yours I thought was too blunt, even when i disagree with it, so I guess you just contradicted my post by your mere existence. I have no choice but to find a way to eliminate you now, no offense.

Depends on the definition of what is blunt.

If blunt is "Getting to the facts instead of bullshitting my way out of things", that's good in my view.

If it's "I'm just going to say whatever the hell I want regardless of people's feelings" (which some people seem to think it means) that's not so good.

TheSolitaryMan said:
Depends on the definition of what is blunt.

A hollowed out cigar. That's all I'm sayin'........

SophiaGrace said:
I dislike bluntness. I think it's another word for being rude.

A person can be COMPLETELY honest without being a rude.
I, like you, do not like rude people. I think some people use "telling the truth" as an excuse for their being rude.

Just because someone is being sensitive of another's feelings doesn't mean they aren't stating the truth. People should not confuse being blunt with being truthful.

Words are only part of the way we communicate. Add in a few pauses or vocal inflections, a few quantifiers like "even someone like you" and you have an arsenal to destroy someone without them really contemplating what has happend. However, it's not always the person who is talking who is at fault. You could use all the tact in the world to say something and have that person blow up on you because they are unable to hear anything other than how good they are. They try to tell you what a bad person you are and make what you said into something other than what it was.

The internet is a hard place to communicate because it lacks nonverbal communication and all we have are words.

Latest posts

Back