Happiness is overrated...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tedgresham

Writer, Thinker, Trouble Maker
Reaction score
There's something in the American psyche that everyone should be HAPPY! Yeah, baby, I want happiness! Seriously?

Happiness comes in moments, little blips of time in our lives, when things come together for us on occasion. It's impossible to maintain "happiness" continuously. Some of us find it less often than others and when we see those others we tend to be resentful. But the happiest people have moments of depression, anger, confusion. We just don't see them. They happen behind closed doors. And true happiness does not come with the latest iPad or newest car or biggest house. It comes only in those moments when we sit in the sunshine and can appreciate our life above all else.

Rather than happiness I believe we should seek contentment. Contentment is something we can maintain most of the time. Whatever situation we are in we can learn to accept some things, figure out how to change other things, and then be contented at that moment to just BE. I'm happy sometimes, like when my kids hug me. Sometimes I'm pissed, sometimes depressed, but there is a thread of contentment that runs through my life because I know who I am, I know I've done what I can, and I accept myself as who I am.

I may be a royal fresia up most of the time but I'm not a "looser." I can't be, because I refuse to play the game. Yeah, I'd like sushi for dinner every day, have a few things I don't have, but that's life. I'd like for my plants to grow and not die, for gas to be ten cents a gallon, for people to stop bitchin' all the time and for wars to end. What can I do about that stuff? Virtually nothing.

What do I do? I plant new seeds. I putter around on my Facebook supporting Occupy Wall Street. Whatever. But in my personal life I just appreciate what I have and let it be enough. And when a little chance to get what I want pops up, I grab it.

If we spend all our time looking at what everybody else has and compare it to ourselves we're always going to see our lives as honeysuckle, no matter how good it might be. If, however, we look at ourselves first and see that we may be down on the low end but we're still breathing, we are not completely without, we're not alone in the world but share a planet with at least a few people like us, then, you know, we can reconcile it.

Slipknot says "people = honeysuckle." Yeah, maybe, so what. *I* am not honeysuckle. Whenever I can I show kindness and respect and sometimes I run across people who are not honeysuckle. Sometimes I even find friends or at least friendly people. The rest can go fresia themselves, I won't let their stink get on my clothes. I am me. Me is good.

The funny thing is that the less we grope after what we want and the more we put into just getting ourselves moving to make improvements we wind up with more than if we just sit on our hands and bawl all the time. Weird, huh?

tedgresham said:
There's something in the American psyche that everyone should be HAPPY! Yeah, baby, I want happiness! Seriously?

Happiness comes in moments, little blips of time in our lives, when things come together for us on occasion. It's impossible to maintain "happiness" continuously. Some of us find it less often than others and when we see those others we tend to be resentful. But the happiest people have moments of depression, anger, confusion. We just don't see them. They happen behind closed doors. And true happiness does not come with the latest iPad or newest car or biggest house. It comes only in those moments when we sit in the sunshine and can appreciate our life above all else.

Rather than happiness I believe we should seek contentment. Contentment is something we can maintain most of the time. Whatever situation we are in we can learn to accept some things, figure out how to change other things, and then be contented at that moment to just BE. I'm happy sometimes, like when my kids hug me. Sometimes I'm pissed, sometimes depressed, but there is a thread of contentment that runs through my life because I know who I am, I know I've done what I can, and I accept myself as who I am.

I may be a royal fresia up most of the time but I'm not a "looser." I can't be, because I refuse to play the game. Yeah, I'd like sushi for dinner every day, have a few things I don't have, but that's life. I'd like for my plants to grow and not die, for gas to be ten cents a gallon, for people to stop bitchin' all the time and for wars to end. What can I do about that stuff? Virtually nothing.

What do I do? I plant new seeds. I putter around on my Facebook supporting Occupy Wall Street. Whatever. But in my personal life I just appreciate what I have and let it be enough. And when a little chance to get what I want pops up, I grab it.

If we spend all our time looking at what everybody else has and compare it to ourselves we're always going to see our lives as honeysuckle, no matter how good it might be. If, however, we look at ourselves first and see that we may be down on the low end but we're still breathing, we are not completely without, we're not alone in the world but share a planet with at least a few people like us, then, you know, we can reconcile it.

Slipknot says "people = honeysuckle." Yeah, maybe, so what. *I* am not honeysuckle. Whenever I can I show kindness and respect and sometimes I run across people who are not honeysuckle. Sometimes I even find friends or at least friendly people. The rest can go fresia themselves, I won't let their stink get on my clothes. I am me. Me is good.

The funny thing is that the less we grope after what we want and the more we put into just getting ourselves moving to make improvements we wind up with more than if we just sit on our hands and bawl all the time. Weird, huh?
Congratulations! You're human!

yeah..I can be content or comfortible sitting on my lazy ass all day too.
Self acceptance...some say that would be the BEGINNING of being able to living in my own skin.
I can take an honest apprasal to get to know myself. I have assests and liabilties.

Catitalize on my assets and work on my liabilites or rid of my liabilties.

I'm a sick basturd....Sometimes i gatta sit in my own honeysuckle for a while to know..errr yah man I'm the honeysuckle :p
Some say that's my defect. However I believe other people are a bit judgmental of that.
Maybe I'm not going to share my secrets of why I'm such a stud anymore.

Excuse the fresia out of me for being able to think on my own and believing in myself.

Yes, I can also honestly admit sometimes I like to see honeysuckle half ass backwards.
So I gatta let go of those shitty fucken ideas that dosnt serve me well anymore.

Anger, selffishness, self pity, egotistic, hatred, playing the victim, manipulative.
Things I've done to hurt people....especailly the ones I love and love me most.
Somewhere alone the line I hurt myself most
Accepting the unacceptiable..that too is insanity.

Mending fences. Squarding up. Manning up. Making it right. Cleaning up the mess Ive cuased.
The thing of it is...She had always loved me and needed me.
And she needs me now more than ever. I simply cant be content with things as they are.
Nothing is easy. Shes also human. I love her more than life itself.

always pursue happiness.
the danger of just being content with being content is missing out when your contently riding it out till the end.

or something else that sounds smart...

i can be perfectly happy being miserable and really "enjoy" the feeling at the time.
for me being happy isnt just happy happy joy joy stuff.
its experiencing everything for as much as i can take it.

oo.. and where there are people there will be honeysuckle. (literally, people poop) sooo.
people = honeysuckle :p ( it does sound catchy doesnt it )
do not go to deeply into the lyrics and titles of metal bands.
especially the ones that wear funny masks and have clowns dance around on stage.
youll be surprised at how many of them are just making fun of their audience.
snickering at what deeply profound message people think they might be telling them.

paulo said:
always pursue happiness.
the danger of just being content with being content is missing out when your contently riding it out till the end

Amen.

"Aim for the moon. That way, even if you miss you'll still be amongst the stars."

You will never find your true limits if you accept them before you've tested them.

Latest posts

Back