What's the saddest film you've ever seen?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annik

Reaction score
I think I'd say Rosemary's Baby. Honestly I cried like a crazy person through most of it and for some time after. It stayed with me for ages. It still gives me shivers. I mean it was a little unsettling and I don't watch a lot of horror but mainly it was just so desperately, desperately sad.

Anyway apologises if I'm covering old ground here...

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. Maybe not the saddest that I've seen, but it's the one I've seen most recently that I found to be sad. Just... tragic, the whole thing.

jesse-james-robert-ford.jpg

ALSO:

I'm probably the only guy who teared up for this movie. Gods and Generals. There's nothing glorious or redeeming about Americans killing Americans on such a mass scale. Just tragic and sad as fresia. Gettysburg is the same.

images

I thought she was saying any love story in general, sorry didn't notice it's a movie...

I thought Never Let Me Go was a very sad one

Latasluos said:
I thought she was saying any love story in general, sorry didn't notice it's a movie...

Oh right I see you're point :)
Yeah I never saw that but I read the plot and it sounded really sad.

annik said:
Latasluos said:

Oh right I see you're point :)
Yeah I never saw that but I read the plot and it sounded really sad.

It really is, and the music makes it even more sad (very beautiful music though )

Latasluos said:
It really is, and the music makes it even more sad (very beautiful music though )

Yeah I thought the same about The Hours. I had to buy the soundtrack because I was over watching the film because I loved the music so much. I only own 3 soundtracks so it was a big deal for me. I'd buy a 4th if I could find it cheap!

freedom said:
this is the first one that comes to mind:

The_Boy_in_the_Striped_Pyjamas_1.jpg

I've always wanted to see that.

I agree that Never Let Me Go is extremely sad, yet beautiful. My picks:
Picnic at Hanging Rock
Pan's Labyrinth
Antichrist (2009) - my favourite, but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. It may be perceived as too dark and too violent, but certainly it's the saddest movie I have ever watched.

While I don't know what the saddest movie is that I've ever seen, the first one that came to mind this time was The Diving Bell and the Butterfly.

Also, Silver Birch - Antichrist was, imo, a very good movie. It was terribly disturbing, but I wouldn't call it "sad". Just disturbing, or unnerving.

Million Dollar Baby
Grand Torino
- Both sad films with Mr. Eastwood in them as a bonus :p

Saving Private Ryan brought me near to tears three freaking times when I last saw it. An intense and also very humbling film.

Touching the Void - a true docufilm with interviews about a guy who crawled and climbed miles on his own with a broken leg with the vague hope of saving himself after a disasterous mountain climb. He lived because he was very, very lucky in the end. A harrowing film.

Gladiator - Sort of a surprisingly sad ending in some ways, though uplifting in others.

No Country For Old Men - Evil "wins"! Odd sense of sadness rather than heart wrenching upset though.

And that's just off the top of my head :p

TheSolitaryMan said:
Grand Torino - Both sad films with Mr. Eastwood in them as a bonus :p

Stunning, stunning film and yes totally sad. Amazing. God I love that film!!

Grave of The Fireflies. The first movie that made a tear escape my eye. Ever. I broke down at the end.

Latest posts

Back