Getting old

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdoe22

Reaction score
Firstly, I'd like to say that I'm elated that I found this forum and that other people share my burden.

Let me introduce myself; I'm almost 30 years old and am currently going on a 9 year streak of being completely single, not even 1 date. Prior to that, a very short lived relationship (1 month) that I ended after finding out that she was still banging the ex-bf.

A little about myself; I am a very well rounded person, maybe a modern day renaissance man. I have graduate level education but have also framed houses, played blues guitar, worked on trucks, you name it.I am a very confident person--I've been told that I am very "intimidating". I command attention and have VERY many friends, often quite the hit at social outings. I have a very dark sarcastic sense of humor and can surely ALWAYS make everyone laugh with very little effort on my part.

I am relatively fit and well kept. I have manners. OTHER people have told me I am "good looking", I cannot comment on this myself.

I tend to be conservative and frown upon casual sex and promiscuity. I refuse to settle for such nonsense or those who take part of it. I am not religious, I'm a scientist. So with all this said... I have never been able to attract women. Every time in my life I've tried... I've either had phone calls not returned, been left on dance floors, etc.

So, I finally met someone at the university... who is an eerie shadow of myself. Remarkable similarities in personality and thought process... very exciting. She seems like a genuinely nice person. So here's where I get lost... I went out with her a week ago and spent the evening having a few drinks and getting to know each other. I'm not an expert at all with women, but she was not drunk and I picked up on things like dilated pupils, constant eye contact, flushed skin, playing with hair, etc. To me this means that I was attractive to her.

So, I invited her to a social event the following day, and when the time came she told me that she would not be able to make the event because of some other obligations and such... not a big deal and I told her it was OK. She said she would very much like to meet up with me again the following week and I said I would enjoy that as well.

So the following week came and here's where I think I made a horrible mistake. I passed her several times in hallways, where I nodded, said hello but she was occupied with other people so I didn't stop. I then went to a bar with my friends, and she was there , with her friends. She seemed busy and I thought that it might be rude to interrupt her, so I decided that if she wanted to talk to me, she saw me and could come over.

The next day I felt bad about the possible perception of this behavior, so I had found a nice jazz band that was playing and decided to call her and invite her out. She never answered... it's been a day, still no answer. I never left a voice mail, as I thought it would be inappropriate.

So, now how do I salvage this... I'm getting too old and sick of all this cat and mouse crap, but if she truly is not interested I'd hate to make her uncomfortable by badgering her about it. I guess this is really disappointing because these opportunities don't come around for me very often, I'd say well, in this case once in a life time so far... so I've gone from that confident commanding person on date #1 to a balled up nervous mess. What makes me even more uncomfortable is the searing experience that I've already lived, I'd hate to spend my entire 30's alone as I did my 20's.

jdoe22 said:
Firstly, I'd like to say that I'm elated that I found this forum and that other people share my burden.

Let me introduce myself; I'm almost 30 years old and am currently going on a 9 year streak of being completely single, not even 1 date. Prior to that, a very short lived relationship (1 month) that I ended after finding out that she was still banging the ex-bf.

A little about myself; I am a very well rounded person, maybe a modern day renaissance man. I have graduate level education but have also framed houses, played blues guitar, worked on trucks, you name it.I am a very confident person--I've been told that I am very "intimidating". I command attention and have VERY many friends, often quite the hit at social outings. I have a very dark sarcastic sense of humor and can surely ALWAYS make everyone laugh with very little effort on my part.

I am relatively fit and well kept. I have manners. OTHER people have told me I am "good looking", I cannot comment on this myself.

I tend to be conservative and frown upon casual sex and promiscuity. I refuse to settle for such nonsense or those who take part of it. I am not religious, I'm a scientist. So with all this said... I have never been able to attract women. Every time in my life I've tried... I've either had phone calls not returned, been left on dance floors, etc.

So, I finally met someone at the university... who is an eerie shadow of myself. Remarkable similarities in personality and thought process... very exciting. She seems like a genuinely nice person. So here's where I get lost... I went out with her a week ago and spent the evening having a few drinks and getting to know each other. I'm not an expert at all with women, but she was not drunk and I picked up on things like dilated pupils, constant eye contact, flushed skin, playing with hair, etc. To me this means that I was attractive to her.

So, I invited her to a social event the following day, and when the time came she told me that she would not be able to make the event because of some other obligations and such... not a big deal and I told her it was OK. She said she would very much like to meet up with me again the following week and I said I would enjoy that as well.

So the following week came and here's where I think I made a horrible mistake. I passed her several times in hallways, where I nodded, said hello but she was occupied with other people so I didn't stop. I then went to a bar with my friends, and she was there , with her friends. She seemed busy and I thought that it might be rude to interrupt her, so I decided that if she wanted to talk to me, she saw me and could come over.

The next day I felt bad about the possible perception of this behavior, so I had found a nice jazz band that was playing and decided to call her and invite her out. She never answered... it's been a day, still no answer. I never left a voice mail, as I thought it would be inappropriate.

So, now how do I salvage this... I'm getting too old and sick of all this cat and mouse crap, but if she truly is not interested I'd hate to make her uncomfortable by badgering her about it. I guess this is really disappointing because these opportunities don't come around for me very often, I'd say well, in this case once in a life time so far... so I've gone from that confident commanding person on date #1 to a balled up nervous mess. What makes me even more uncomfortable is the searing experience that I've already lived, I'd hate to spend my entire 30's alone as I did my 20's.
Welcome jdoe22!

Sounds to me that maybe you are trying too hard. Judging by this post you seem like a cat with lots of attractive qualities. Go into your bathroom, plant your ass in front of the mirror and think about all you have to offer. Any decent woman will pick up on that. Have confidence and be prepared in case you strike out. I suggest "Speed Dating".

Leave her a voice mail. If she doesn't call back then youll have a definitive answer and then don't take it personally. Plus I agree with LoneKiller.

Jdoe~

I am a female in her 40's (just so you know where I am coming from). I've had lots of love relationships.

You are being too hard on yourself. If this women is rejecting you because you didn't initiate the last two times, even though NOW you are initiating, then I don't think she is really interested.

I think if a person is really interested in someone, unless they experienced big time rejection, they will stay interested even though it goes thru twists and turns.

You made it clear you were interested when you asked her out! That is enough. You don't have to do it again. If she wants it, she'll let you or should let you know. I don't believe men should keep asking and asking. Once clearly is enough. After that the ball is in her court.

Just my humble opinion. However, if I turn out to be wrong...please let me know.

I agree with the others, esp HappyYogi. I'd call her one more tiime, but this time leave a VM. If you don't hear back from her, then move on.

Judging from your description, you sound like a pretty good catch. A nice, intelligent guy with good moral standings and manners - that simply sounds too good to be true. You mentioned that you can come off as "intimidating", and I totally get that. The way I'm picturing you right now, if you ever showed interested in me, I'd be terrified, and puzzled as to why a great guy like you would be interested in a girl like me. (I actually once rejected a tall, handsome guy while out dancing, because I just thought he was too good for me. To this very day, my friends won't let me hear the end of it.)

My point is that a lot of girls have doubts about themselves, and are their own worst critics. If anything can be perceived badly, it probably will be. This is what I'd be thinking, if I'd been this girl: "Hmm, he hasn't asked me out again since that day I had to cancel. He probably thinks I'm stupid for cancelling, and has moved on to someone better." "OMG, he called. Why can't I ever remember to turn on the sound on my phone? He didn't leave a message though - he probably changed his mind and was glad I didn't answer. If he's really interested, he'll call back later."

It's a silly and self destructive thought process, but a lot of girls have it. I can't speak for this girl, though, she could have entirely different reasons for not contacting you herself. I just thought I'd offer some input on how a lot of the female brains work. We don't mean to "play games"; we just don't think very highly of ourselves. Give her another call, and leave a VM if she doesn't answer, or send a text. If you still don't hear from her, she might actually not be interested anymore, but then at least you'll know.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

You're probably overthinking things. Maybe she was too busy to answer your message. I agree with the others, call her again and see if she's still interested. Good luck!

Teresa

You know, there comes a time in every mans life... when he must question his own sexuality. Have you ever thought that maybe you are just gay, and don't know it?

Just kidding. I don't really have any advice... But uhmm... I'm not exactly a ladies man myself so... Sounds like you guys had your time and that's that. Most likely you may have said something that was a total deal breaker for her and she was just being nice and wouldn't ever say that for some reason she won't divulge she wouldn't consider dating you.

I always make the mistake of talking about myself to girls. Girls don't want to hear about your pathetic man life. The life of a man is not interesting. It is full of sorrow and discontented suffering and pain. Just keep shooting her questions and build branches other questions you can shoot off from their. If she wants to know something about you she'll ask and then your doomed cuz then she'll find out who you really are, but hey you tried...

At least that's how it seems to go for me. Good luck to you...

fickle, childish, dishonest...
I don't know, you tell me which one or combination comes to mind when you think of her actions, which include but are not limited to her words.

That may have been a mistake, but it should not have been a fatal one to someone who genuinely wanted to hang out the following week, as she expressed to you wielding the power of words. Leaving a message would have been good, but I doubt it was necessary. How prominent is caller ID/call history these days?

There are signs here of someone who plays the "string along" game, perhaps to raise a low self esteem. There's a good chance if you ask her some more (and, unfortunately, maybe some more after that), the two of you will finally hook up again. Part of me wants you to try again, and even again. The part of me who has been hurt by this kind of thing before wants you to let it go. Decent adults shouldn't behave this way.

jjam said:
fickle, childish, dishonest...
I don't know, you tell me which one or combination comes to mind when you think of her actions, which include but are not limited to her words.

That may have been a mistake, but it should not have been a fatal one to someone who genuinely wanted to hang out the following week, as she expressed to you wielding the power of words. Leaving a message would have been good, but I doubt it was necessary. How prominent is caller ID/call history these days?

There are signs here of someone who plays the "string along" game, perhaps to raise a low self esteem. There's a good chance if you ask her some more (and, unfortunately, maybe some more after that), the two of you will finally hook up again. Part of me wants you to try again, and even again. The part of me who has been hurt by this kind of thing before wants you to let it go. Decent adults shouldn't behave this way.

Well, I waited... then finally went ahead and asked again. I came up with something she couldn't refuse... and we got together. It seemed to go well... she was very responsive. I had arranged for us to meet again this week, but ah.. once again she cancelled. Now another several days without hearing from her.

I'm rather sick of this ordeal.

I don't think it's every to late to find love....maybe it will be worth your wait? Welcome..

She knows that you want her, there is no longer a chase so her interest has probably faded. I say you have done your part. Time to make her come to you. Otherwise move on.

So no offense but if I was a girl I would not date you. The way you describe yourself you sound like you give off a cold vibe. Women don't like men who seem cold. You need to seem more fun and happy. Right now you seem boring, desperate, and mean.

To be honest, this situation sounds like it was lost after she cancelled your second date. That is just part of dating though. Some women flake some women don't. One thing I think you need to do is create more sexual tension. I don't care that you don't feel the need to have lots of sex. You need to make her feel like you want to have sex with her. After all, her friends make her feel appreciated for who she is. She needs to know that you are attracted to her. As they say leave her wanting more. Take your short lived relationship for example. She was still sleeping with her ex because he built up that tension, and you did not.

It sounds to me like you need a new perspective. I think you need to change things up. I bet you have been doing roughly the same thing for the past 9 years. Change things up, break out of your safe zone. Most of all build your confidence. You say you are a scientist. Then stop looking at this as dating. Look at it as human mating. Look up materials on human mating patterns. There are plenty of studies on patterns seen in human mating. Don't be afraid to demystify human mating.

Trust me friend I have been where you have been. However, I made a commitment to change my success with women. It takes time, but most of all it requires you to change your views.

AFrozenSoul said:
She knows that you want her, there is no longer a chase so her interest has probably faded. I say you have done your part. Time to make her come to you. Otherwise move on.

So no offense but if I was a girl I would not date you. The way you describe yourself you sound like you give off a cold vibe. Women don't like men who seem cold. You need to seem more fun and happy. Right now you seem boring, desperate, and mean.

To be honest, this situation sounds like it was lost after she cancelled your second date. That is just part of dating though. Some women flake some women don't. One thing I think you need to do is create more sexual tension. I don't care that you don't feel the need to have lots of sex. You need to make her feel like you want to have sex with her. After all, her friends make her feel appreciated for who she is. She needs to know that you are attracted to her. As they say leave her wanting more. Take your short lived relationship for example. She was still sleeping with her ex because he built up that tension, and you did not.

It sounds to me like you need a new perspective. I think you need to change things up. I bet you have been doing roughly the same thing for the past 9 years. Change things up, break out of your safe zone. Most of all build your confidence. You say you are a scientist. Then stop looking at this as dating. Look at it as human mating. Look up materials on human mating patterns. There are plenty of studies on patterns seen in human mating. Don't be afraid to demystify human mating.

Trust me friend I have been where you have been. However, I made a commitment to change my success with women. It takes time, but most of all it requires you to change your views.

Thanks for the advice.... I don't think I come across as cold and boring but maybe I do. I can say that I've tried many routes... and I've tried many different angles, but it is very possible that even with this variation I'm still well within my own bounds, so to speak.

As far as sexual tension and the like, I will very much admit that I tend to keep a low profile and allow space as to not tread too heavily on someone. I personally don't like needy grabby people, as I believe one should not be desperate or "need" someone in their life to make it full. You should be a separate entity entirely happy in your own life on your own, and adding someone simply enriches what's there.

And... it's not that I don't want to have sex, I just hold it with a far greater level of morality than most. I will take your advice on studying human mating and see what I can come up with.

jdoe22 said:
Thanks for the advice.... I don't think I come across as cold and boring but maybe I do. I can say that I've tried many routes... and I've tried many different angles, but it is very possible that even with this variation I'm still well within my own bounds, so to speak.

You don't sound cold at all, but rather distant by the way you talk about things. I"m not certain about the 'keeping a low profile' and all, may work for you, may not work for others. There is some notion of 'peacocking' which may have value for you if you wish to look it up.

It would be helpful to try to talk to women and get their perspective of things a bit more. You seem a bit analytical about things where women are generally more emotional and fluid about, and that difference can lead to poor communication, which does not lead to healthy relationships or even one in the first place.

You should, of course, make people feel appreciated. That depends on the person, but I do find that ,amu women seem to appreciate consistency a great deal so perhaps being a bit more frequent in reminding that you love/appreciate/find her attractive would be helpful. At the end of the day, though, every person is different.

jdoe22 said:

As far as sexual tension and the like, I will very much admit that I tend to keep a low profile and allow space as to not tread too heavily on someone. I personally don't like needy grabby people, as I believe one should not be desperate or "need" someone in their life to make it full. You should be a separate entity entirely happy in your own life on your own, and adding someone simply enriches what's there.

And... it's not that I don't want to have sex, I just hold it with a far greater level of morality than most. I will take your advice on studying human mating and see what I can come up with.
I meant you give off a negative vibe and women tend to dislike that.

There is plenty of other ways to build sexual tension. Clever innuendo is one way. Touch is the easiest way to do it. Remember that you have to make it known that you want to touch her. If she makes physical advances towards you and you don't respond in a positive way, she will lose attraction.

As for your views on sex. You walk a very narrow line. I suggest you learn how to hide those thoughts and beliefs. If a girl thinks you are judging her in a negative light. You might as well loan her a room to fresia another guy. You need to be careful with those views. They can be interpreted any number of ways. A woman can take a view like yours and interpret it as sex is not important to you. She can then use that view against you. Also remember the easiest way to build up an attachment is through repeated sexual encounters. So if the tension is there, but you are not. It will make it easier for her to jump in bed with another guy. Women can easily transfer attraction from one man to another.

If you want some suggestions on books I have read. PM me.

AFrozenSoul said:
jdoe22 said:

I meant you give off a negative vibe and women tend to dislike that.

There is plenty of other ways to build sexual tension. Clever innuendo is one way. Touch is the easiest way to do it. Remember that you have to make it known that you want to touch her. If she makes physical advances towards you and you don't respond in a positive way, she will lose attraction.

As for your views on sex. You walk a very narrow line. I suggest you learn how to hide those thoughts and beliefs. If a girl thinks you are judging her in a negative light. You might as well loan her a room to fresia another guy. You need to be careful with those views. They can be interpreted any number of ways. A woman can take a view like yours and interpret it as sex is not important to you. She can then use that view against you. Also remember the easiest way to build up an attachment is through repeated sexual encounters. So if the tension is there, but you are not. It will make it easier for her to jump in bed with another guy. Women can easily transfer attraction from one man to another.

If you want some suggestions on books I have read. PM me.

You know I've thought about what you've said and I started to read some empirical studies and articles on human mating and sexuality.

After careful consideration I've come to the conclusion that I'm not so sure anymore that any of this "cat and mouse" game playing to manipulate women into wanting you is necessary--in my case.

So this is the story; the studies I've looked at included data from something like 35 different countries across the world (including Africa, Asia, Mid East, Americas, Europe) and amazingly enough exhibited the same results independent of location.

We are human beings, the intelligent portion of our species has and employs the ability to rationalize and make responsible decisions. We see past things and do not respond directly to primal instinct like animals. And it is because of this that I don't trust these studies because I think for the most part they poll a data set of people who DO respond to primal instinct, the average "livestock" people who also frequently make irresponsible, ill-thought decisions and engage in frequent promiscuous behavior.

Now I don't mean to throw rocks here and offend... but I'm not interested in these type of women anyways. I always have wanted someone who is not "livestock" and is responsible and puts careful thought and consideration into making decisions. Someone who is not immediately turned on or off by physical appearance or awkward social behavior.

If you're not willing to look past that and give someone a chance to get to know them... then what good are you anyways? Why should I put in all this effort to GET you, when I have to continually struggle to make you appreciate me, then consistently worry about you leaving me? I'm not like that.

So... it would then seem that there are only two possibilities;
(1) I am completely unique and alone in the way that I am, and possibly am not human
(2) There are other people like me who are female and single

So... why change what I'm doing? If a girl doesn't like ME, then it's simply that cut and dry and any attempts to change that feeling will only be temporary.

Oh... and as far as touch goes. I do not touch women. I was raised to not touch women, I find it morally wrong to put your hands on someone unless they specifically indicate that it is OK--i.e. they kiss you, or you're dancing. If a woman cannot appreciate the fact that I respect them enough to not grab on them like a piece of meat (like the "livestock"), then she's the wrong type.

I look forward to your feedback.

jdoe22 said:
You know I've thought about what you've said and I started to read some empirical studies and articles on human mating and sexuality.

After careful consideration I've come to the conclusion that I'm not so sure anymore that any of this "cat and mouse" game playing to manipulate women into wanting you is necessary--in my case.

So this is the story; the studies I've looked at included data from something like 35 different countries across the world (including Africa, Asia, Mid East, Americas, Europe) and amazingly enough exhibited the same results independent of location.

We are human beings, the intelligent portion of our species has and employs the ability to rationalize and make responsible decisions. We see past things and do not respond directly to primal instinct like animals. And it is because of this that I don't trust these studies because I think for the most part they poll a data set of people who DO respond to primal instinct, the average "livestock" people who also frequently make irresponsible, ill-thought decisions and engage in frequent promiscuous behavior.

Now I don't mean to throw rocks here and offend... but I'm not interested in these type of women anyways. I always have wanted someone who is not "livestock" and is responsible and puts careful thought and consideration into making decisions. Someone who is not immediately turned on or off by physical appearance or awkward social behavior.

If you're not willing to look past that and give someone a chance to get to know them... then what good are you anyways? Why should I put in all this effort to GET you, when I have to continually struggle to make you appreciate me, then consistently worry about you leaving me? I'm not like that.

So... it would then seem that there are only two possibilities;
(1) I am completely unique and alone in the way that I am, and possibly am not human
(2) There are other people like me who are female and single

So... why change what I'm doing? If a girl doesn't like ME, then it's simply that cut and dry and any attempts to change that feeling will only be temporary.

Oh... and as far as touch goes. I do not touch women. I was raised to not touch women, I find it morally wrong to put your hands on someone unless they specifically indicate that it is OK--i.e. they kiss you, or you're dancing. If a woman cannot appreciate the fact that I respect them enough to not grab on them like a piece of meat (like the "livestock"), then she's the wrong type.

I look forward to your feedback.
Sorry friend, but this whole post contradicts your first post. If you REALLY believe everything you said in the quoted post. Then you should have never made the original post. First off you said you don't need advice on how to make yourself more attractive to females. Yet in your first post you say you have not had any success with women for the past 9 years. Contradiction, if this information was not applicable to you, then you would not have trouble meeting and wooing women. You would inherently know what to do. You would not have 9 years of failure under your belt. You would not have made this thread if you did not feel you were doing something wrong. You would not have made this thread if you did not think that any of this was applicable to you.

Humans are more than capable of rationalizing things. That is what this girl has done to you. She may have reacted to certian queues or triggers in her mind. However, she has sat back and reevaluated the situation. That is why she suddenly flaked out. However, humans are just as bound to instinct as any other animal. You are bound to instinct as well. The instinct to reproduce. Humans can jazz up the desire to procreate however we want. Love, Companionship, Safety whatever. In the end that is just our guilt from wanting to engage in the reproductive activity. Let me ask you this. If you some how managed to get this girl. Would you be ok with her having a sexual relationship with other men. Even better would you prefer she not have any sexual contact with you?

I need to know, do you flirt with any girl who looks interested in you? Whether she be the next top model or so fat that she can barely walk? It is all the same to you as long as she is a good person?

If you are constantly worrying about whether or not a girl will leave you. Then that shows a lack of security on your end. People who worry about that kind of rely on relationships to make them happy. They are not happy as inidividuals. Yet I met plenty of men and women who are happy on their own. To them the relationship is part of their life, not their life. Those kinds of people don't run into your situation very often. Even when they do, they don't care.

Let me point out another contradiction here as well. You say that you don't want to change to get someone. Again why bother with this thread. If what you are doing is fine then why care that she is being a flake? She has clearly dumped you, so give up and wait till the next one comes along. She is not responding to your method of wooing. Therefore she is not interested. There is no reason to further pursue her.

I really think should try something different. What are you scared of, the fact that you might like it? Humans adapt and evolve. We grow, we learn new skills and become stronger. 9 years without any success with women. Sorry friend you are not going to prove to me that your way is the right way. That is like saying that starting fire by rubbing sticks together is the best way to start a fire. It can start a fire, but a match will start one faster. True it might take more than one. However, I will start more fires over my lifetime than you will.

You need to make her feel like you want to have sex with her.

Huh? I would think that if a woman sensed that you wanted to have sex with her, it would be a red flag to stay away from you because you want to get laid and you're not interested in them. At least this is the impression I've been given.

I thought that most women went around believing that men are only interested in sex and that this is why men (who are NOT interested in them for sex) suffer so much in trying to get a date - because women always need to be convinced that you're interested IN THEM and not in sex.

I'm not a woman. But if I sensed, before going on a date, that a woman wanted to have sex with me ... this would raise a red flag and cause me to think that she was just looking to have sex and might not really be interested in me. I would tend to suspect that the relationship would be ending very soon if I was made to feel she wanted to have sex.

Maybe I'll try the opposite approach and just make women want to have sex with me, and hope that leads to marriage. I don't know, maybe it really does work that way. (But women always seem to be critical of men and hypervigilent about whether men are simply viewing them as a sex object or genuinely interested in them.)

"Why should I put in all this effort to GET you, when I have to continually struggle to make you appreciate me, then consistently worry about you leaving me? I'm not like that.

Yeah. I totally agree with that; save your time and energy for someone you CAN get. You can't create attraction, it has to HAPPEN to both partners.

If you very directly ask someone on a date, perhaps even saying "I'll take you out ..." rather than even posing it as a question, and they're evasive and you feel a long drawn out struggle of "getting" starting to unfold .... that's a red flag. One should always come up with ways to obtain the answers they need early on before getting too embroiled in a massive "getting" journey which will use up precious time and energy that could have be spent on finding Miss Right.

Dionysianpoet said:
(But women always seem to be critical of men and hypervigilent about whether men are simply viewing them as a sex object or genuinely interested in them.)

One of the nastiest catch 22's on the planet that is. They vilify all men in general for viewing them as sex objects, and yet they're always going home with the men who fit the very stereotype they're supposedly so disgusted by.

Latest posts

Back