Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.56 Average
Scams That Prey On the Lonely
I'd say most any of those internet dating sites qualify as well.

I have already lost count of the number of human disaster stories I can site that started with the words "Hey I just met this great guy/girl online"...

Lets face it, match.com, eharmoney.com chemistry.com are all actually whatsleft.com.

Like the lottery they are peddling false hope.

My most humble two cents. -LY
Every one should stay away from emails that says something with "contact me" unless it was someone you intend to contact
You cant help a man who cant help him self !
We should totally use this thread to draft our own fake scams.

----
Hi there, sexy. I'm a 19 year old girl (actually 30 year man), and I've been interested in you a long time. Please give me a email back at tinagrummer@yahoo.com (redirects to progdownload@malware.net)
There was a teenage Korean girl that kept trying to have cyber sex with me on MSN. She turned out to be a 25 year old guy from the US military. Big Grin
The worst case I have heard was a woman handed over around a total of 300,000 Sing dollars to a guy she had talked to for over a year on the net.

Initial reactions 'foolish' but understand how the scammers suck people in.
''It takes a greater person to admit their mistakes, than one who never made any'' Author- the university of life
I got scammed last year. Lost some money. The lessons learned were:

1. Don't just play along for a laugh or to see what happens
2. Don't start to believe there is a real person writing to you
3. never send money
4. and most important : NEVER SEND MONEY
(12-04-2012, 05:28 AM)duff Wrote: I got scammed last year. Lost some money. The lessons learned were:

3. never send money

I agree, I hope it wasnt too expensive lesson - same happened to us via a fake item we wanted to purchase.

You can never be too careful.

Tips for dating on line

Ask repeated questions (see if you get same answers in a later conversation)

To check photo is of person - ask them to send a photo of themselves holding up a note of your name . Genuine people won't take offence of this.

Look for discrepancies in information given.

Never give your address or personal details

Always meet in a public place and inform people of where you are and what time you will return.

Never accept a lift home and if possible arrange someone you know to meet at the end of the date.
''It takes a greater person to admit their mistakes, than one who never made any'' Author- the university of life
(12-04-2012, 05:59 AM)monkeysocks Wrote:
(12-04-2012, 05:28 AM)duff Wrote: I got scammed last year. Lost some money. The lessons learned were:

3. never send money

I agree, I hope it wasnt too expensive lesson - same happened to us via a fake item we wanted to purchase.

You can never be too careful.

Tips for dating on line

Ask repeated questions (see if you get same answers in a later conversation)

To check photo is of person - ask them to send a photo of themselves holding up a note of your name . Genuine people won't take offence of this.

Look for discrepancies in information given.

Never give your address or personal details

Always meet in a public place and inform people of where you are and what time you will return.

Never accept a lift home and if possible arrange someone you know to meet at the end of the date.

all good info. I lost £860 which was bloody stupid of me. I wasn't hard enough with my questioning. And I told people at work and they encouraged me to carry on writing to her because it was a 'laugh'

The £860 was for travel expenses. Two days before she was due to visit, she asked for another £2,700 to help with her visa. I didn't send that, wasn't daft enough. Never heard from her again. She wrote 80 letters to me as well, roughly one a day for 3 months. All different, not a copy and paste type deal. Very detailed, very clever.
That's why they say: "Try before you buy" Smile

haha oh well.
all good info. I lost £860 which was bloody stupid of me. I wasn't hard enough with my questioning. And I told people at work and they encouraged me to carry on writing to her because it was a 'laugh'

The £860 was for travel expenses. Two days before she was due to visit, she asked for another £2,700 to help with her visa. I didn't send that, wasn't daft enough. Never heard from her again. She wrote 80 letters to me as well, roughly one a day for 3 months. All different, not a copy and paste type deal. Very detailed, very clever.
[/quote]

I am glad you sussed her, I think anyone after that much correspondence - would believe the person. I bet you felt violated.

Don't let it put you off though.

There are genuine people, I was naive initially, but luckily I met someone who told me how the scams work and to be honest I would never have believed it or protected myself so well had I not been warned.

We also lost £800 but that was for a purchase that turned out to be a con. Now I doubt the item for sale even existed.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Am I lonely? Obunga 4 61 3 hours ago
Last Post: hewhowalksalone
  Married and Lonely seeking friends tangy002 47 76,684 Yesterday, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Itschucky
  Feeling Lonely and Lost / Advices unknownj 10 473 01-13-2019, 06:04 AM
Last Post: Know One
  Lonely because of your principles Serenia 43 1,789 12-27-2018, 10:45 PM
Last Post: Richard_39
  True or False: Lonely people flock to the Internet Azariah 10 1,483 12-16-2018, 03:22 AM
Last Post: ardour
  Happy, but lonely jessee22 9 502 12-10-2018, 07:20 PM
Last Post: hewhowalksalone
  You ever felt so lonely that you cried? Saulgoodmanfan 33 2,372 11-15-2018, 09:52 PM
Last Post: MagicalMaryann
  I am lonely, and it's my fault Phantimos 12 1,129 11-09-2018, 02:25 PM
Last Post: Fustar
  Professional Lonely Fizkultprivet 4 895 10-30-2018, 03:39 PM
Last Post: hye345
Sad 4 years of being single makes me lonely PursuitofHappiness 5 724 10-28-2018, 07:34 AM
Last Post: DeepTxWater