Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.56 Average
Scams That Prey On the Lonely
Think the most dangerous scams are cloned sites...it looks like PayPal but it's a scam to get your info....never respond to a Paypal message unless you know it's absolutely legit always go to the PayPal site itself
THere is one thing that will set them apart from the rest and that is bad English. I can spot scams a mile away basically from their broken English. Usually they all start with: I will like to get to learn a lot more of you so that we can fall in love. The right way to say it is : I would love to get to know you better. This is particular found on dating sites and fake profiles. So if you've seen this before, you know it's someone not from the U.S. and is a scammer.
Just like to point out that I myself will most likely PM certain people if I feel I can help them socially. Saying it's not a scam would be predictable but I do try being as transparent as possible, including having a public thread and encouraging anyone I PM to share general questions on that thread. And also whilst not "strictly business", I do have tendencies to focus on the social help rather than creating online friendships. Oh, and I don't ask for a penny. I don't believe I'm doing anything wrong, neither technically or ethically. But if moderator wants to inquire my intentions, they're free to do so.

As for actual scammers, your original post should be quite helpful. As stated, im not the biggest advocate of online friendships generally, but as long as people keep their wits about them, and know when certain lines have being crossed, they should hopefully be okay.
dating sites
(06-26-2016, 09:04 AM)Jenncats Wrote: THere is one thing that will set them apart from the rest and that is bad English. I can spot scams a mile away basically from their broken English.  Usually they all start with: I will like to get to learn a lot more of you so that we can fall in love. The right way to say it is :  I would love to get to know you better.  This is particular found on dating sites and fake profiles.  So if you've seen this before, you know it's someone not from the U.S. and is a scammer.

Hey my english is bad because im spanish speaker and im not a scammer
My first language is spanish, so Im sorry about my english[color=#00BFF[/color]F]
(10-28-2016, 05:00 PM)mari1969 Wrote:
(06-26-2016, 09:04 AM)Jenncats Wrote: THere is one thing that will set them apart from the rest and that is bad English. I can spot scams a mile away basically from their broken English.  Usually they all start with: I will like to get to learn a lot more of you so that we can fall in love. The right way to say it is :  I would love to get to know you better.  This is particular found on dating sites and fake profiles.  So if you've seen this before, you know it's someone not from the U.S. and is a scammer.

Hey my english is bad because im spanish speaker and im not a scammer

Don't worry, mari1969, I can vouch for you ... that you're one of us Smile

Jenncats (and others), I hope y'all realize that we have a lot of forum members who are NOT from the US or other English speaking countries. Let's not rush to discriminate against them, because loneliness does not discriminate ... it affects humans the world over.
Its on every social site pof meetme Facebook its everywhere._
I despise scams that prey on innocent people who already go through enough. And I despise scams in general. Having been targeted by tons of scammers in the past because I seemed like easy prey, meek and lonely, I've grown to absolutely distrust and despise any damn scam/scammers and I'm pretty hyper cautious now due to my experience with them and can tell whether things are fishy or not. They've made me too cynical I think.

Scams also seem to be everywhere on the internet now. On reddit, youtube, social media, and even forums. It's disgusting how some people can actually choose to go out and take advantage of other people's loneliness or naivety.
I was scammed 4 times, it was funny because each time they had to try harder due to my growing distrust until now I Have no trust whatsoever, I wouldn't go into detail about what happened but its fair to say I was about naïve as they come and in the last case actually believing I was in love, I had no idea about scammers.. the last time I tried a dating site, all I did was report scammers.. which was pretty sad

I remember first time joining a dating site thinking wow this will be a piece of cake lol this is a great tool that can change my life lol

for me a sure sign of an online romance scammer is an attractive woman showing an interest in me
I hope that it was pretty obvious to all that received it but we did have a scammer on the forum who never posted publicly but he did spend over an hour sending a scam PM to a number of members.

If you received this PM, this version of the scam is a copy and paste that has remained relatively unchanged at least since 2012.  Ignore it, he is not going to send you money.

loveu2didier\ Wrote:Hi,Good morning,

Pls read this mail attentively. A France Based investor who was a business tycoon,a cocoa Merchant and a contractor with Ivory Coast Government who died in a plane crash on Tuesday August 16, 2005 in Venezuela has come to the limelight in our bank because since 2005 that he died his portfolio and investment of 9.8 Million Pounds has not been touch because no name next-of-kin was found in his bio-data form, If you are familiar with Investment Banking affairs,those who patronize our services usually prefer anonymity with some levels of detachment from conventional processes-now this investment has generated a huge accrued interest to the amount of 1.9 Million British Pounds because he was operating a domiciliary pounds account.

The bank management has therefore authorized me as the Funds Manager /Managing Director of our bank Investment Banking Division-to locate any living relative of this investor to apply for an inheritance claim so that the funds can be paid to the family of the late Depositor inline with the banking rules,ethics and policies; Pls contact me immediately so that I can furnish you with the detail. Mind you, I do not care whether you are truly related to this investor or not but for the fact that you know nothing about this money before now and I am the one that comes to you - we are sharing this money 50/50. I will see to it that this arrangement work-out perfectly cos it is risk free as I have taken care all necessary steps before contacting you.

Pls if for any reason you are skeptical or see or consider this classified information contained in this mail to be scam, spam. junk or hoax simply delete it and forget I ever contacted you because this is a God given opportunity but if you understand my point in this mail and ready to work with me to actualize this project with me to claim this God blessing pls send to me in your return mail your most direct telephone

number.

Remain Bless,
Didier Kone.
E-mail;didierkone43@gmail.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lonely Lonely Lonely Time humourless 1 103 06-23-2019, 09:51 PM
Last Post: Sci-Fi
  Married and Lonely seeking friends tangy002 54 90,218 06-21-2019, 05:34 AM
Last Post: Buddy_2019
  Lonely Londoner Fomolone 4 519 06-11-2019, 12:18 AM
Last Post: BrettyBoy
  Lonely because of failed romance Sker01 3 536 05-24-2019, 05:11 PM
Last Post: Adrian7878
  Married life. Parts are great. Other parts are endlessly lonely. ARGH! Quietsoulseeker 4 613 05-12-2019, 02:33 PM
Last Post: Broken heart
  lonely right now Bluesunshineday 9 633 04-18-2019, 12:28 PM
Last Post: graceforeverandever
  What is the soundtrack to your lonely life? redbeard 44 9 1,887 04-09-2019, 09:56 AM
Last Post: IncolaVacui
  Married but lonely. So1itaire 20 1,776 04-06-2019, 11:41 PM
Last Post: redbeard 44
  suicidal and lonely after losing first love michaelmyers24 23 4,692 03-12-2019, 01:09 AM
Last Post: Enpatsu No Shakugan
  Am I lonely? Obunga 7 769 01-28-2019, 11:07 AM
Last Post: RexieSF7