Music when feeling alone

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guld

Reaction score
I noticed a lot of people wrote music in "the what soothes you"-thread. Now I'm curious - which music?

For me, I've always got one or two artist and a little collection of songs in specific, which helps me. Right now I'm going from a U2 phase to a Simon & Garfunkel phase. Quite a lot of their songs (both of them) I can't stand though :p. I've just got those few songs that helps.

I love classical music too, probably more than other types of music. But that's another sort of emotion than my sooth-songs.

Would change the heading to "when feeling *down", if I could - came to think there are other reasons to feel down besides loneliness :p

Without a doubt, Country. This music genre has been a constant source of emotional soothing for me for a little north of 15 years now. When I'm feeling lonely, I put on some Alan Jackson or Reba and that seems to work.

God Bless.
LK

If I want to be soothed I'd say the soundtrack from the film the hours. The song Sway by Strangelove is stunningly beautiful too.

Oh I forgot Adelaide by Thomas Dybdahl too. My best friend sent it to me when I was feeling crappy. The lyrics and the fact she'd dedicated it to me made me cry and sometimes if I feel bad when I'm out I'll skip to that song and play it over and over and I can smile to myself and forget the world.

Everybody huuuuurrrrrrrttssssss someetiiiiimeeeeesss........

I don't really have alone music... but that one would work I think

LoneKiller said:
Without a doubt, Country. This music genre has been a constant source of emotional soothing for me for a little north of 15 years now. When I'm feeling lonely, I put on some Alan Jackson or Reba and that seems to work.

God Bless.
LK

This is usually what comes to my mind when thinking of country. Traumatic experiences from from my childhood involving the annual Swedish song contest. I don't know if she's actually any good or not. In Sweden, she's nationally mocked as a poser, the poor gal.

Alan Jackson does go down quite smoothly though. Perhaps I should do some re-evaluation.

annik said:
If I want to be soothed I'd say the soundtrack from the film the hours. The song Sway by Strangelove is stunningly beautiful too.

That's a funny coincidence - I'm learning to play Morning Passages on the piano :)

I must be a freak but I have entire song lists dedicated just to this type of emotion. Right now I am feeling a lot of Coldplay, ie "The Scientist" and "Warning Sign"

DON'T listen to Morrisey while lonely. It makes you feel too sad :(

lol is true...

I'm one of the stupid people who listens to haunting ballads while depressed. I don't know, sometimes I just want to sit down with a song like "Black" by Danger Mouse and let myself go with the lyrics. Anything that makes me feel something is good when it comes to books or music, so I don't always go for the upbeat. I usually prefer things with a faster pace if it's early in the day and I need to get pumped up and moving, so I'll play some Pretenders or Blur or some dance-able hip-hop so I can get my energy up.

Generally though, I like slow and droning or slow and airy. I guess dreamy. I am constantly daydreaming so the music kind of goes with that. For a sample of the sort of sound I like:

[video=youtube]

Rather like this cover:

[video=youtube]

Melancholy and really sad, but as with Lybica above, I sometimes find a song in tune with my feelings is cathartic.

The original Tears for Fears version's alright, but I think Jules really turned it into something else with his mournful delivery of the lyrics.

Latest posts

Back