Motivation

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeverMore

Reaction score
Over the past two years or so I've noticed that I've had a severe drop in motivation to do anything such as papers, talk to people, eat or do basic things like clean my side of the dorm. So my question to everyone who reads this is:

What motivates you?

Maybe in seeing what motivates everyone else I can get some motivation too, so any contribution will be appreciated.

NeverMore said:
Over the past two years or so I've noticed that I've had a severe drop in motivation to do anything such as papers, talk to people, eat or do basic things like clean my side of the dorm. So my question to everyone who reads this is:

What motivates you?

Maybe in seeing what motivates everyone else I can get some motivation too, so any contribution will be appreciated.

OK..don't laugh at me but life itself is my big motivating factor. This doesn't mean that I am happy all the time..I have my bad days too because I am human. But nothing motivates me like a beautiful morning with the hope that the day will continue on the same course as its start.

Goals and social gain. Loneliness saps your morale, and your over-all motivation goes along with it. Positive social stimulation will pick anyone up, providing they genuinely want and appreciate the company to begin with.

Le Gout du Jour seems to be .........pain

Usually, there's more than one motive involved for any given action though.

I have no motivation. I am probably the laziest f*ck you ever will meet. I do things because I must... or I just don't. I just found out today that my grade in my honors trig class has dropped 30% from last quarter to the current one. I have not done a single homework assignment since the last quarter ended because it is too much effort to download the assignment sheet from the teacher's website. That's how much motivation I don't have. I disgust myself.

Qui said:
I have no motivation. I am probably the laziest f*ck you ever will meet. I do things because I must... or I just don't. I just found out today that my grade in my honors trig class has dropped 30% from last quarter to the current one. I have not done a single homework assignment since the last quarter ended because it is too much effort to download the assignment sheet from the teacher's website. That's how much motivation I don't have. I disgust myself.

how's your horses? I've thought about how you talked about their breath warming your hands. What's always amazed me is, when you feed one an apple, those big teeth, and that big snout and mouth, they seem more sensitive than they look like it should be.

Yeah they do have very sensitive noses... sometimes. One of my horses likes to stick her nose in your stomach and it is to the effect of being punched by a big nostril-y fist. Bleah... she does that when she thinks you aren't paying enough attention to her. Such a bad habit... But the other one can unzip pants pockets. And pants zippers. It's a little strange but they can do a lot with their noses. Also lots of horses like to chew on things like the end of a rope or the boards of the fence and in the winter during the day when they are in their stalls with their blankets hung over the stall door they love to take the neatly folded blanket and throw it out in the barn isle. I could probably go all day telling you about cute things horses do... but I'll spare you.

Oh but if you ever see a horse with hiccups, it is the single most adorable thing ever!

I didn't know that a horse can have hiccups. o_O Also, lol at the zippers. Bad, bad horse. :)

Well so it seems like this is quite the rampant problem among everyone here, looks like we could all use a lot more motivation:p

Arianna said:
OK..don't laugh at me but life itself is my big motivating factor. This doesn't mean that I am happy all the time..I have my bad days too because I am human. But nothing motivates me like a beautiful morning with the hope that the day will continue on the same course as its start.

I would never laugh at that kind of answer, that was amazing thought provoking! Live life if not just for the next moment that it takes your breath away and makes you marvel at how great the world really is, like a wonderful sunset or a really long equation that works out perfectly or the rhythmic sound of waves at the beach....

I found some motivation there, thx:D

I don't have any motivation either. Hell, it took me almost an entire day to muster the effort to write this. I lost my job a couple days ago and I just don't care about anything anymore. I slept all day today. I really don't care if I live or die sometimes. I just don't care about anything. I wish motivation came in a pill or a shot. I can't continue to live like this.

Motivation... well, I'm pretty lonely right now, but I always have hope that things will be better in the furute. That I will find a good friend or two, and that I will find someone to love, that loves me. This hope always keeps me up, and I don't think there's anything wrong in having this hope, because no one can see into my future.

I also enjoy life. I don't constantly think about my job, or the money in my bank account, or all the tradegies on our planet. I like to live one day at a time, and not thinking about my life in 20 years. The smallest things can fill me with joy. Hearing a good song on the radio, seeing a bird in a tree, sunshine, flowers, nice customers at work ect ^^

At the beginning of this school year, when I first had these feelings of loneliness, I had large bouts of depression. During those times I was pretty lethargic and I pretty much did nothing except sit in front of the computer or TV all day. I couldn't be bothered with homework anymore and I began to struggle at school with work.
Since then, my depression has faded a bit, though I'm still dealing with my loneliness. However, one big motivation for me is getting into the University I want to. It is my hope that I will be able to reinvent myself there and deal with my self esteem issues. For that I need good grades and that's what's motivating me right now. I still lapse into apathy occasionally but having a clear goal and a source of hope helps!

I NEED answers to this question as well!!!! My motivation is so shot to hell...Most of the things I should do have become outright AVERSIVE just because they need to be done. I avoid doing just about everything. It's insane.

I sleep a lot during the day and have insomnia at night, but I'm always tired. I used to be so organized and active. Now I am a blob of depression. I hate it. I can really relate when you say you can't keep living like this. How can we change this and elevate our energy levels???

I do wish someone came up with a solution for this, other than Arianna's good answer, we have nothing else that motivates other people here, anyone out there have any motivation????

NeverMore said:

What motivates you?

I don't know fear motivates me. For example fear of having roaches invade my apartment motivates me to clean up. Fear of embarrassment motivates me to study the language of this country I live in (and I still get embarrassed anyway). On the flip side, sometimes the fear thing also leads me to procrastinate, which sometimes returns mixed results in terms of accomplishment quality.

GodsWitch said:
I NEED answers to this question as well!!!! My motivation is so shot to hell...Most of the things I should do have become outright AVERSIVE just because they need to be done. I avoid doing just about everything. It's insane.

I sleep a lot during the day and have insomnia at night, but I'm always tired. I used to be so organized and active. Now I am a blob of depression. I hate it. I can really relate when you say you can't keep living like this. How can we change this and elevate our energy levels???

If you sleep all day, it makes sense you can't sleep at night. Also explains why you're tired; if you're on a nocturnal sleep schedule (sleep in the day, insomnia at night is basically this), you're obviously going to be tired when you are up durring the day. So don't let yourself sleep in the day. Only let yourself sleep at night and you'll get back to a normal sleep cycle eventually.

NeverMore said:
I do wish someone came up with a solution for this, other than Arianna's good answer, we have nothing else that motivates other people here, anyone out there have any motivation????

This one sometimes works, but not for long because I have no self-control. For all the time I spend doing something productive that I have to do I get to spend time doing something unproductive that I want to do. For example, 1 hour spent doing math homework gets a 20 minute guitar break. Cleaning all my horse tack gets a bareback trailride. Studying hard and getting through a tough exam gets a junk food binge and an afternoon to myself. But again, self control. Reward comes after you earn it. And by the way... as long as I'm not morally against whatever it is, I am a sucker for bribes. So... bribes are great motivation!!! Bribe yourself. DO IT.

Lost in the Oilfield said:
Exercise creates natural happy drugs, and increases energy levels.

Excellent advice. A little jog often lifts me out of the tangy juices of my marinade of depression. It might just get your creativity working as well.

I think Niche said "The best thoughts can be had while taking a walk"

Latest posts

Back