High IQ

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lonelyloser

My IQ is in the top 2%. I learned that people who have high IQ's have trouble socializing and functioning as adults. Is this the case for any of you? I'd be interested in knowing how your IQ has affected your life, whether it be in a negative way or a positive way. I am bothered by the fact that there are people out there who have average IQ's who seem to be much happier. It feels like being smart is a curse.

Well, yes. I think that highly intelligent people don't 'fit in' with society.

I don't know if I'm top 2 percent--I doubt that! But my IQ is almost genius level, at last testing. (Who knows how reliable those stupid things are anyway?)

I never felt like I fit in throughout school. I wasn't a smart scientific/math geek/nerd. I wasn't a dumb jock. I wasn't a pretty cheerleader. I wasn't a beautiful golden girl.

I was pretty, intelligent, but chubby and insecure!

I took a UK National IQ test and scored 113.

IQ only tells you're ability to problem solve, intelligence is much vaster then that, like emotional intelligence.

I think so because when you are very smart most likely you are always thinking, wondering what the other person is thinking, wondering how they perceive you, just over-analyzing and it makes others uncomfortable for whatever reason. Because you are always thinking, you cant just let it all hang out and relax like people with little on the mind, that's what I think, they aren't always processing information, they are just being and doing and enjoying not even thinking probably!

Presence said:
I took a UK National IQ test and scored 113.

IQ only tells you're ability to problem solve, intelligence is much vaster then that, like emotional intelligence.

Ya I have never taken a IQ test but I do know a lot of people in school who supposedly have some IQ that should make them a genius and they are idiots and I have a buddy who scored like a 80 on some IQ test and he is probaly atleast as smart as I am if not smarter. So I put little value into some number from a test.

But to get back to OP I do think smart people do have a hard time fitting in because most people are dumb so it's hard any time you are an outsider in any way to fit into the majority and thats pretty much all are problems we don't fit in with the majority.

I honestly don't think that you can measure intelligence with a number, that's a terrible system, everyone is smart in some way, some people's mental abilities are just harder to see then others

lonelyloser said:
My IQ is in the top 2%. I learned that people who have high IQ's have trouble socializing and functioning as adults. Is this the case for any of you? I'd be interested in knowing how your IQ has affected your life, whether it be in a negative way or a positive way. I am bothered by the fact that there are people out there who have average IQ's who seem to be much happier. It feels like being smart is a curse.

How my IQ has affected my life is that it makes it nearly impossible to have a relationship or communicate with men. It actually helps me interact with other women but when it comes to men, forget it. There isn't a man that I've met that doesn't automatically assume that just because I'm a woman, I'm somehow unintelligent. This is really frustrating. I've found myself having to pretend that I'm much less intelligent than I actually am just to be able to peacefully associate with men. Frankly I'm tired of having to dumb myself down but I don't see too many other options available. I think my intelligence intimidates men but I wish it wouldn't. Maybe someday I'll meet someone who isn't like this but right now that doesn't look very promising because I've dealt with this during my entire life.

Almond said:
lonelyloser said:

How my IQ has affected my life is that it makes it nearly impossible to have a relationship or communicate with men. It actually helps me interact with other women but when it comes to men, forget it. There isn't a man that I've met that doesn't automatically assume that just because I'm a woman, I'm somehow unintelligent. This is really frustrating. I've found myself having to pretend that I'm much less intelligent than I actually am just to be able to peacefully associate with men. Frankly I'm tired of having to dumb myself down but I don't see too many other options available. I think my intelligence intimidates men but I wish it wouldn't. Maybe someday I'll meet someone who isn't like this but right now that doesn't look very promising because I've dealt with this during my entire life.

I saw a show that addressed this problem. Their recommendation was to just "be a girl". Guys like girls who are very feminine. This doesn't mean dumb, but we like girls who try to make themselves look good and like girly things. Being intelligent will help you in the workplace. At work, men feel superior but if they see a competent women, they are very impressed (not necessarily intimidated). It will help you get promoted and help you advance your career. When it comes to dating, you have to be a different person. It's true that most guys don't want a girl who is smarter than them, I'm not going to deny that. But if you let the guy "take the lead", "be the man", whatever you want to call it, he'll feel more at peace with himself and will want to be with you.

yeah, I score in the upper 130s to mid 140s, but i don't actually know what normal is so I couldn't say how low or high that is. But I think I am smarter than some people at least... I mean, I'm not the stupidest person ever even though it does seem like it sometimes.

My lowest was 129 and my highest 163. O_O But I don't think I'm smart at all, those online tests are just easy. (perhaps so that people don't get pissed off and keep visiting the website?)

iamalone said:
Because you are always thinking, you cant just let it all hang out and relax like people with little on the mind, that's what I think, they aren't always processing information, they are just being and doing and enjoying not even thinking probably!
Eh... I don't think so. Socializing is a very complex system of queries and responses. It's very tricky to give a "passing" response at the appropriate time, combined with the right body language.

Those people can do it without thinking because for them it's on a learned-reflex level. (ie. like typing, or riding a bicycle) They already know anything that people can say to them, and the proper way to respond. It's automatic for them. :)

And they know how to respond when someone does something that doesn't fit the routine: bash. If you are seen as "weird" you will be made fun of and eventually excluded. (or not accepted in the first place). There is a way to be weird while actually gaining respect for it. That's what the "clowns" do. They know how to step out of the limits just a little to make people laugh, but not enough to weird them out.

My own way of dealing with this became...
1. not saying any opinions about the topic that's being discussed because my opinions are "weird"
2. not bringing up any new topics, because the things that interest me are "weird"

Almond said:

This might be a ridiculous thing for me to ask of you, but can you describe some examples of men responding to you and leaving you with the impression that they assumed you're unintelligent? Hmmm. I find it weird that every man you've encountered has made you feel this way.

lonelyloser said:
Almond said:
lonelyloser said:

I saw a show that addressed this problem. Their recommendation was to just "be a girl". Guys like girls who are very feminine. This doesn't mean dumb, but we like girls who try to make themselves look good and like girly things. Being intelligent will help you in the workplace. At work, men feel superior but if they see a competent women, they are very impressed (not necessarily intimidated). It will help you get promoted and help you advance your career. When it comes to dating, you have to be a different person. It's true that most guys don't want a girl who is smarter than them, I'm not going to deny that. But if you let the guy "take the lead", "be the man", whatever you want to call it, he'll feel more at peace with himself and will want to be with you.

I'm very feminine already so I can't adjust that and I'm not worried about a career. My problem is socially interacting with men. It's good of you to admit that most guys don't want a girl who is smarter than them. Usually when I mention this it's met with denial. I always let guys take the lead too so I can't change anything there either. I have no problem with guys wanting to be with me. The problem I have is getting treated like I actually have a mind.

jjam said:
Almond said:

This might be a ridiculous thing for me to ask of you, but can you describe some examples of men responding to you and leaving you with the impression that they assumed you're unintelligent? Hmmm. I find it weird that every man you've encountered has made you feel this way.

It's not a ridiculous thing for you to ask me. Some examples of how men respond to me that show me they can't accept my level of intelligence are completely ignoring me in philosophical or scientific discussions, refusing my help in areas of advanced knowledge and instead taking the assistance of a man who is obviously not as educated in that field as I am, oversimplifying explainations, and actually coming out and telling me that I couldn't possibly know something that I just explained. There are more but those are the basics.

For the record I have to say that there have been a few black men who haven't done this. Instead some seem to be very impressed with my intelligence but with every white man it's always the same.

Oh and no I'm not black. In case some could be considering that's the reason. It just seems like black men are much more open minded.

Almond said:
lonelyloser said:
Almond said:
lonelyloser said:

I'm very feminine already so I can't adjust that and I'm not worried about a career. My problem is socially interacting with men. It's good of you to admit that most guys don't want a girl who is smarter than them. Usually when I mention this it's met with denial. I always let guys take the lead too so I can't change anything there either. I have no problem with guys wanting to be with me. The problem I have is getting treated like I actually have a mind.

Well I am not sure who you are dating, but I would suggest dating smarter men. My best friend is a PhD student and he has no patience for dumb girls. He wants someone as smart as him, and smarter is fine with him.

I'm not dating anyone. :) As for trying to interact with smarter men then there's the problem of them always having to prove they're smarter. That along with their usual higher level of arrogance firmly keeps me distant from genius level men.

Ohh I see. Well I think I may be in a similar boat. Most girls tend to go for more athletic type guys, but they don't give me a chance to show that I'm good at sports or that I can be just as fun. Just because I don't look like the athletic type doesn't mean that I'm all about books and computers.

Sometimes I try to make intelligence-neutral talk. This doesn't mean talking about the weather necessarily, but you know what I mean...just general, casual stuff.

If I start dating a girl, I try not to make myself look that smart. I don't want her to think that I'm geeky. So I think it happens for guys too. It's all about finding the right match. I think you'll eventually find a guy who really appreciates your intelligence.

Well... Average people think I'm smart but smart people don't care or are annoyed with me because I am a lazy ass. But it really does bug me when people treat me like I'm stupid! When they do that, I have to prove them wrong using big words for insults. "cognitive deficient" is my favorite... I love when people are just like, huh? because with a response like that they just prove my point, they are a cognitive deficient and I am not stupid!
-but anyway, please forgive me if I'm a little off today, I'm exhausted and hyped up on an industrial sized red bull...

XL is cheaper and has the same effect. :) But yes, taurine = life.

Almond, where do you find all these men? It sounds like all of them are very arrogant. Perhaps there is something common for all of them. (ie, some elite university...)

Latest posts

Back