Question Your Limitations/Achieve Your Goals

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Innersky23

Reaction score
Did you know that if you move a goldfish from its small fishbowl in your home and took it to a lake, that he will still continue to swim in the same circles as in the fishbowl? Why is that? Because ultimately he has accepted the belief that if he swims out farther than his learned movements and conditioned state, that he is going to “bump himself into the fishbowl”. He’s always done it this way, this is all he knows, and any other way is now “impossible”!

Like the goldfish that has been freed to the lake, you still think you’re limited. Your limitation is set by your beliefs. When you challenge your beliefs, you take the first step in ending your limitations. If your beliefs do serve you and your goals- they will withstand the scrutiny. If they don’t –its time to drop them and replace them with beliefs that serve you.

When the word ‘Belief’ comes up, many people start to imagine, the type of belief someone has when they have a strong religious faith. Contrary to this, beliefs are what we deeply hold in our subconscious mind that we assume to be real about a given circumstance or area in life.

If you hold the belief that it is hard to make money, it is likely that you will be broke or wind up broke at some point. This is because a deeply held belief is a self fulfilling prophecy. Your mind will find a way to either make this belief come true, or make it seem to be true…which winds up being the same thing in terms of your experience of life.

In the end, it doesn’t matter if your beliefs are “true” or “false”. What matters, is are they moving you TOWARDS what you want or AWAY from it. If they do not serve you, now is the time to replace them with ones that will.

Interesting concepts here. I believe this may relate in connection with breaking through the habits of operant conditioning and stereotypical molds in our minds, and generally society.

Just one thing, As interesting as this is, I do like the way you put it..... BUT, I thought goldfish only had seven second memories? :p

dont believe or assume anything.
know... and find out what you dont know.
know your limits and push them, strech em as far as they wil go.
when you know what you can do, you know what you have to work with.

swimming in circles can be verry practical.
you dont have to turn around and go all the way back when your done.
you dont know the intensions and reasoning of a goldfish.

(I`m Bored..... sorry :p )

oopsiedoop said:
What I know is that everyone I have ever met has hurt me.

oke,
but you dont know that everyone you will ever meet is going to hurt you.

(just being a smart ass... :p)
((still bored))

that might have been a little insensitive.. i didnt meen it to be, sorry.
no one deserves being hurt that much.

It's ok, that's what people usually say, when they're trying to be helpful. I guess it's insensitive, I never thought of it that way because I've been REALLY hurt so much that I guess I'm desensitized myself. I just thought of it as ludicrously illogical, even though it's trying to be objective.

oopsiedoop said:
What I know is that everyone I have ever met has hurt me.

I read something some where that said something like this.

Everyone you meet in life well hurt you at some point, you just have to work out the ones that's worth suffering for

Something like that anyway. But you get the idea.

Yeah I've heard that before. I think most people are worth some discomfort, but no one except your children are worth suffering for because if they make you suffer -- well then by definition they're not worth your love.

I personally think everyone in this world has there good points and there bad.
Its just a matter of whether the good out weights the bad or the other way around.

But if they make you suffer, that outweighs the good. Like I said, suffer, not discomfort. They might be messy, or like different music. They might even drink too much, and even embarass you because they act stupid. or I don't know, a lot of things. But suffering means they don't care about YOU, and especially your feelings, which has nothing to do with anything they don't do TO you.

I only make people suffer if I dislike them seriously(and ironically, suggests that I do care about their opinions and emotions). Its too much effort otherwise.

Unfortunately for the world and maybe myself, the list of people who piss me off is vast and arbitrary.

Does make for an entertaining life, though.

I completely agree. I'm pretty **** sure nobody who hurt me did it because they actually hated me. They just didn't like me enough to bother. And these were people I knew well, not all the ones who just don't bother because they don't want to bother with me at all for whatever reason. If I counted them .. well I'd still have my position, only even worse.

Indifference isn't actually hate, though, and I suppose it should be more relatively ignored as such? I mean, a lot of people are indifferent toward me, but I don't particularly /suffer/ for their indifference; indeed, I generally assume that the default state of people is to be indifferent toward you. Why should anyone care? They're pretty intent on their own lives already.

Yes, but that's my point: they don't hurt you because they hate you. That would make sense, and I'm not above that. Why should I be? It's the right thing to do. They hurt you by their indifference to you and your welfare. Of course, it's going to have a lot more impact if you're actually close in other ways. At least with people you don't know, you do expect it. I don't even count them, but if I did, wow.. The truth is a lot of strangers have been very nice to me. So it's not everybody I've ever met if I count them. By met I actually meant met though, and knew.

oopsiedoop said:
Yes, but that's my point: they don't hurt you because they hate you. That would make sense, and I'm not above that. Why should I be? It's the right thing to do. They hurt you by their indifference to you and your welfare. Of course, it's going to have a lot more impact if you're actually close in other ways. At least with people you don't know, you do expect it.

I try not to expect too much from people, regardless of who they are. The most important thing to every person should and most likely is themselves, so I work around that understanding and find that I can communicate fairly well.

Latest posts

Back