How diet, exercise, and medical illnesses can affect your mental state.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skorian

Reaction score
I thought I would make a thread for people to post about things that they know affect peoples mental state. I would like to see books, essays, documentaries, and other resources. I will start with a book I have known of a long time, but haven't read or owned. I have read other simular things so believe I know most of what it contains. Some day I plan to get it, but I already have stacks of books I need to read first.

Sugar Blues

How candy and junk food can affect your mood and general state of well being.

Here is a reader of the books review.
363 of 374 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars For Responsible Adults Only!, May 28, 2000
By
Ken Nanni (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sugar Blues (Mass Market Paperback)
For weeks I walked to and from work, over one hour each way, to help drop through a weight plateau of 199 pounds. No matter what I did, including dieting, I was destined to be a 199-pounder for life! Then, one Sunday evening, I read the first few chapters of a book a friend lent me, "Sugar Blues" by Dufty. My first reaction to the information contained in it was entirely emotional: anger and disgust. Until that moment I had never given sugar a moment's worth of thought. That Sunday evening, I felt my anger so intensely, that I promised myself that I immediately would stop my ingestion of sugar for MORAL reasons. As I read further, I wished that I had known this information years ago. I wished that I had used this information while raising my children. I am saddened that I didn't get to the profound wisdom in this book sooner than I did. But, life is full of important lessons. This book is but lesson number one. And learning this lesson later is better than not learning it at all. While reading "SUGAR BLUES" I was also reading another book on the topic of meats. I decided to give up sugar and meats. That Sunday evening, I switched to a SWEETENER-FREE and meat-free lifestyle. On Thursday of that week I spent time between the fetal position in bed and sprinting to the washroom. I thought I had the flu, but looking back, I now realize I had what I'd describe as, "withdrawl" symptoms. 24 hours later I was feeling better. 7 days later, when I weighed myself, I received the first of many self-fulfiling rewards: I cracked my weight-loss plateau, was finally down to 190 pounds. Three weeks later, I lost another 6 pounds and was down to 184. Seven weeks later I was at 177. 10 weeks later 174. I have had to tighten my belt 5 notches! I fit into pants that I had not fit into since 1978. As of this last week, I stabilized at a weight plateau of 174 pounds. I have lost a cool 25 pounds. This book made me THINK about the quality of, and effect from, the "foods" I shovelled into my mouth. This book motivated me to read the labels before I bought. It is an absolute MUST HAVE for your home library...a MUST SHOW to friends who you care about...a book that you MUST DOG-EAR and underline, (use over and over again). It might be a good idea for you to think about buying several or more copies of this book in paper back version, (low cost), to either give away or circualte among your friends and relatives. If you do, you just might enhance your life and theirs. Thank you for taking the time to read my thoughts about "SUGAR BLUES". By sharing my experience I am hoping that your life will become healthier. All the best in your decision to buy "Sugar Blues".

Latest posts

Back