Ever Feel Like A Ghost?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost Drifter

Reaction score
Ever felt ignored or stuck out of place? Like your in someplace that you don’t really belong or unwanted? I’ve been feeling it for years but I’ll share two recent examples:

Last weekend the people at work were organising Christmas parties. Each person was asked where they were going or who they were going with and people were getting all excited about the up coming events but not a single person asked or invited me. Keep in mind I’m sat in the middle of the room so people have to talk over me and the ones who were short on numbers still didn’t bother. I asked to join some groups but it really hurt when they told me they had enough but carried on looking for other people to join them afterwards.

There was a family photograph taken some years back that I still hate to this day. Both my younger sisters are there with their husbands, my mother is there with my step-dad but for some reason I’m stood at the back looking like some awkward teenager. I’m 32 years old yet I look and feel so out of place, they’re dressed smart while my clothes are shabby, they’re smiling while I have this pathetic shoot-me expression. I just seem the odd one out like I’m not supposed to be there.

What are yours?

Lost Drifter said:
Last weekend the people at work were organising Christmas parties. Each person was asked where they were going or who they were going with and people were getting all excited about the up coming events but not a single person asked or invited me. Keep in mind I’m sat in the middle of the room so people have to talk over me and the ones who were short on numbers still didn’t bother. I asked to join some groups but it really hurt when they told me they had enough but carried on looking for other people to join them afterwards.

That mate really sucks.

Well the last time I was at my parents place for dinner I asked if they where going to the early morning Sunday market as I was after a car charger that I know they sell cheep there. I did not wont to walk around a market alone. No one dose that there. They said they was not going. Then next time I sew them they mentioned that they went at the market.
I mean am seat there thinking WTF thanks for the invite Nob heads.
Honestly my family make out they care but well..... Nuff said

The people at your job were quite cruel and rude. I could never imagine treating anyone like that. I was reminded of a quote by Mother Teresa when I read your words.
"Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat."
I have been in that place of loneliness too. School was the hardest for me. I remember a questionaire being passed out by the teacher in the 6th grade. One question we had to answer was, "Who is your best friend?" I did not have any friends. There was not so much as one person whose name I could write down. So in desperation, I wrote down Jesus as my best friend....lol I have more stories, but I'm not going to share them here.
I think the worst part of not being wanted is when you find that even you don't want yourself. You don't want that person you see in the mirror. You yearn for a much smarter, socially acceptable, eloquent, better looking person to be there instead. You start to justify what other people have said and how they have made you feel. "How could anyone love this?" I have asked myself that question for most of my life. Loneliness can be most lonely when you don't even know yourself. Don't let an old picture define you. Don't let some group of rude people define you. You are much more than any of that. The most important person you will ever know is yourself. Find that person, create that person, and I believe your life will be very different.

That's...ass, man. I'm sorry that happened to you. Who needs ****** people like that anyway. Consider them bullets you dodged.

Yes, in Jr. High it was a constant feeling.

The people where you work are probably just oblivious. You could start by opening up possibly? Talking more and more. And if they reject you, then they aren't mature adults. :p

Heh I pretty much am a ghost at the moment. I go to class, eat,sleep, honeysuckle and the tedium repeats every day. Besides occasionally talking to my parents and brother I don't really have anyone to talk to. I get that feeling when I am around new people too like I dont belong there or that my presence is unwanted. Even with people who I was sort of friends with before I always felt like that frequently. Don't know how much of that was just in my head and how much was what they thought.

I always thought of it as being invisible. You walk into a room with a coworker. The people who are already in the room greet the coworker but no one seems to notice or care that entered with him.

You talk to a person in the hallway. They look at you and keep on walking without saying a word.

The boss is looking for a solution to a problem. You mention a possible solution. The boss pretends to listen and then goes on again about how a solution needs to be found. After a while you mention the idea again. The boss looks at you and then again asks for ideas. The person standing right next to you says the very same thing that you have just said twice. The boss looks at him and says "That is a great ideas, we will do that." The person standing next to you say 'Minus just said that twice.' The boss walks off without saying a word.

I do feel like a ghost. People don't call me anymore, except for when they want to vent about things that bother them and they're always family. The world forgot about me, I forgot about the world. There's nothing left out there for me.

This is bizarre but I am usually the life of the party, the big mouth, the class clown----- but I have NO friends. and I only ever get to go to parties, or places because i am a big mouth and bold and I invite myself. ppl usually like me, but never enough to hang out with me, I think it is easy to have me, the clown around to break the ice for those not bold enough to do so.
I am laughing on the outside, but crying,and screaming on the inside.

Lost Drifter said:
Ever felt ignored or stuck out of place? Like your in someplace that you don’t really belong or unwanted? I’ve been feeling it for years but I’ll share two recent examples:

There was a family photograph taken some years back that I still hate to this day. Both my younger sisters are there with their husbands, my mother is there with my step-dad but for some reason I’m stood at the back looking like some awkward teenager. I’m 32 years old yet I look and feel so out of place, they’re dressed smart while my clothes are shabby, they’re smiling while I have this pathetic shoot-me expression. I just seem the odd one out like I’m not supposed to be there.

What are yours?

Those people at work sound horrible people!...i can understand your hurt as i feel invisible like i don't really exist....something that happens quite a lot to me that makes me feel REALLY unwanted and lonely is on the rare occasions that i get invited somewhere, whenever there is a group photo taken, i am NEVER on them!one particular 'friend' always makes sure i am at the toilet or whatever before taking a pic.....it happens at other events as well, someone will take a big group shot but they will not make any effort to get me on it

I searched Google for, "I feel like a ghost" and this post came up. That's what brought me to this site. Feels odd, doesn't it? If I had a live, cloned dinosaur in one hand and a strobe light in the other; I think people would just walk right on past me.

K Prime said:
I searched Google for, "I feel like a ghost" and this post came up. That's what brought me to this site. Feels odd, doesn't it? If I had a live, cloned dinosaur in one hand and a strobe light in the other; I think people would just walk right on past me.

If I saw someone who was apparently trying to control a dinosaur with a strobe light, I might avoid you and just keep walking too :p

But yeah, it does feel strange. To me it feels like I don't fit in, like a puzzle piece from a different puzzle, so I'm ignored.

Have always felt like a ghost. As a child, all through school and university, to work, in clubs and groups and hobbies, in volunteering, to ... well, even on the Internet I feel ignored and like I don't fit in.

Cucuboth said:
Have always felt like a ghost. As a child, all through school and university, to work, in clubs and groups and hobbies, in volunteering, to ... well, even on the Internet I feel ignored and like I don't fit in.

This is how I feel all the time.

Part of me wants to say fresia it, and its the people who dont fit in that make waves. But it still hurts.

I've been there multiple times...The worst of it was in high school when I was extremely shy and had almost no friends. I would sit in my classes, completely silent, and no one even seemed to notice or care that I was in the room. The worst was in gym class. I was really bad at sports, and I would just stand in the middle of the room and watch people play games. It got to be pretty humiliating after a while.

Have I ever felt like a ghost? Man, There was a time not so long ago where I was so lonely that I wasn't even sure if I was alive anymore, because I though that none of what was happening to me could be real, and that maybe I had died and was in some limbo land or something....

Latest posts

Back