Friends first or not?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okiedokes

Reaction score
Do you see any importance in being friends with someone you find attractive before dating or do you like to go straight to the point and date right away? What do you prefer?

Friends first... definitely. It's crucial to me... unless I'm just after 1 thing.. then friendship is unnecessary.

This is a crucial question to me because I much prefer to be friends first. But, then finding out if it's more is so painful it's never worked out for me.

Okiedokes said:
Do you see any importance in being friends with someone you find attractive before dating or do you like to go straight to the point and date right away? What do you prefer?

Vaguely. Its usually pretty obvious after the first month or less if I'm interested in her or not. The friendzone is real and dangerous.

IgnoredOne said:
Okiedokes said:

Vaguely. Its usually pretty obvious after the first month or less if I'm interested in her or not. The friendzone is real and dangerous.

I've never experienced the friend zone.. wish I could lol. I have the opposite problem. Women never seem to want to be just friends. I would really like the directions to this zone!

Sprint said:
I've never experienced the friend zone.. wish I could lol. I have the opposite problem. Women never seem to want to be just friends. I would really like the directions to this zone!

Practice passive-aggression and treat her as a substitute mommy to weep to, and you too shall discover the friendzone.

I see the problem now lol. I don't know how to do passive-aggression & why would I weep to anyone, especially a woman???

Sprint said:
I see the problem now lol. I don't know how to do passive-aggression & why would I weep to anyone, especially a woman???

my life sux, everything is unfair to me, why is it so unfair,wah, why do i still live with my parents in their basement now and have no job please be my g/f now and fix everything wrong in my life which is not at all my fault.

Friends first? not for me. thanks lol. I get the whole wanting to get to know someone better, to get a better grasp of that persons personality, friends, family, habits, opinions, bra size, whatever. Trying to get it on with someone you already know is by far a safer (and perhaps more sanitized) approach. Its also a lot easier. But... Where`s the fun in that? I don't wanna be with someone I grew up with, and shared most of my life`s drama. To me that`s boring. If I know everything there is to know about her, and she knows everything about me - than there`s no sense of excitement or danger in it. There`s no adrenalin rush. No sense of discovery. That`s simply not so special, in my opinion. To each his own, of course.

bearscut10 said:
I prefer to get to know them.

Me too.
I would feel much moor comfortable doing it that way.

I have only had two long term relationships in my life and both I got to know as friends first.

Seventh said:
Friends first? not for me. thanks lol. I get the whole wanting to get to know someone better, to get a better grasp of that persons personality, friends, family, habits, opinions, bra size, whatever. Trying to get it on with someone you already know is by far a safer (and perhaps more sanitized) approach. Its also a lot easier. But... Where`s the fun in that? I don't wanna be with someone I grew up with, and shared most of my life`s drama. To me that`s boring. If I know everything there is to know about her, and she knows everything about me - than there`s no sense of excitement or danger in it. There`s no adrenalin rush. No sense of discovery. That`s simply not so special, in my opinion. To each his own, of course.

What happens when you know most things about the person after awhile of dating?

Sprint said:
IgnoredOne said:
Okiedokes said:

So you would like to have female friends or you want to be their friend before dating and they prefer to date right away?

I like the idea of being friends first. It goes beyond just skin-deep attraction... Or should, rather.

The problem is that so many girls don't want a relationship, so if you're friends first you'll get stuck there. But it is good to be friends with whomever you're dating. So it would be great if there were some way to be clear that you intend to have a romantic relationship but still take it slow and get to know them first as friends. How does one set that up with a girl?

xrchz said:
The problem is that so many girls don't want a relationship, so if you're friends first you'll get stuck there. But it is good to be friends with whomever you're dating. So it would be great if there were some way to be clear that you intend to have a romantic relationship but still take it slow and get to know them first as friends. How does one set that up with a girl?

I guess that is something that would have to be made clear at the beginning. Then there's the chance of finding out you may not really like each other and then the deal would be off. Safer though, right?

In person it might be kinda awkward...but if you ask them in a general way if they are looking for a relationship or liking the single life. And if they are looking for something serious, then you could say how you feel ..that you are looking but want to take it real slow. I think those dating websites are great for that kind of info because it usually has it written for what the person wants and other details.

I would prefer getting to know her well at first, as a friend. Though I even fail to establish that part, for some reason. I tend to take things too slow and careful, while thinking too much and expecting the worst.

I see these "straight-to-the-point" relationships all the time in films, I just don't see how something like that could work out for me.

Latest posts

Back