Antivirus Trial Version Vs. Paid Activated Version

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
I'm currently using a 3 month trial of "Panda Antivirus Pro 2012". Does the paid activated version do a better job of dealing with viruses than the trial?

Trials are generally the same program. However, a free antiviral program that has a paid upgrade often has more features.

One program is usually not enough these days, you need 2 or 3. I wouldn't run 3 all the time, but if you get a virus no program can get them all.

LoneKiller said:
I'm currently using a 3 month trial of "Panda Antivirus Pro 2012". Does the paid activated version do a better job of dealing with viruses than the trial?

Generally, activated versions of AV applications offer more features than a simple trial version.

Also, once the trial period is over... there will likely be no more updates of the definitions .. which will render the program useless to you.

So the general answer to your question is "yes".

Sprint said:
LoneKiller said:

Generally, activated versions of AV applications offer more features than a simple trial version.

Also, once the trial period is over... there will likely be no more updates of the definitions .. which will render the program useless to you.

Uh. Alot of anti virus have free versions that are downgrades of the trials. Once the trial is over you can still get updates. Some though will not let you run it at all anymore. Some companies are different, but usually they offer a trial to get you hooked on all the features. Wouldn't make sense to try to get you hooked on a partial product. It is a trial, to show off their full product. Sometimes you can pay more for an upgrade to their full product. Like a software suite. I don't use panda though so maybe you are just talking about Panda? Maybe you should go with AVG, Norton, Avast instead?

If you want to take the time and effort you might be able to find where there are lines of code that kill your trial and reinstall over and over to keep their product running. I don't really think it is worth it, but it can be done I believe. Usually it is in the registry somewhere. If you did want to try researching that, I can't help more.

The Panda I'm familiar with is a cloud-based AV.

It's a pay service. You're obviously paying for something :D

As for the suggestion of a way in which to "kill your trial and reinstall over and over to keep their product running" ... that is also known as "theft".. plus cloud-based applications aren't even installed to the local machine, so an effort like that wouldn't even be applicable.

Again, when you pay for a "service" ... it's exactly that... a service. Paid services have features that are unavailable to those who don't pay for them.

For those who want free AV there are plenty of programs out there... no valid reason to commit software theft in a situation such as this. In fact in this situation, no way to even commit software theft because you theoretically aren't even purchasing the AV, you're purchasing the right to access it.

I was advised by someone who's life is computers, fixing them, rebuilding them, and knowing every single bit about programs, etc., etc. that you can mention to try the security system he uses. When I have any type of computer problem (not security), he takes over my computer from where he lives in another state, and fixes it for me. So, I have now been using the one he uses, which is a TOTALLY FREE security system called Microsoft Security Essentials for at least 3 years, and NEVER had a security issue. You may want to Google Search it. I was apprehensive at first, but trusted him, and I am so glad I did.

Actually abusing the trial privileges of a product may not be theft. It would be abusing a loop hole. Cracking a product with code to make it work. That is theft. The difference is likely the fact that to reuse their trial, you don't actually do anything to their product. Altering a product that is copyright owned, generally violates it's disclaimer and your rights to it. If you wanted to know you would have to read a products disclaimer and see what they consider abusing their product.

I personally only use free anti viral software. I don't think it is worth paying for. If you read any tech sites. If you do get a virus. Most anti virus software will only get around 80 to 95 percent of virues. The most important tool you need is something that lets you see what services are running, what those services are, and help you remove anything that shouldn't be running. The scanning for viruses part you want to be able to run more then one if you have a problem. Otherwise things can slip through undetected. Free software can do this. The problem is things are constantly changing, so fast in fact that nothing is full proof. Many reviews out there recommend just going free. Probably most companies make their income off of direct business services. That is the work they do for large companies. It can actually benefit them to run their software on a computer as they can learn of new viruses that way. That allows them to detect problems for other clients that can doll out big bucks. I don't remember, but I think there are even a couple open source programs that can help remove virues.

Years ago Microsoft started a free product called microsoft defender. I think there are some other names for it now. Also when you update, windows is checked.

The best thing you can do is be careful of what you open, run, and avoid some of the screwy websites out there. If you are on some sites you aren't sure are trustworthy, make sure you don't let them run anything on your computer that they shouldn't. I know popup's asking for permission to do things are annoying, but it can save you problems.

There are some anti virus programs out there that are actually themselves viral in nature. Some run keyloggers, spyware, and other nastiness.

I pay for it, I've used Norton on and off over the years and tried others and always go back to Norton. I used McAfee for awhile and liked it but after buying my new computer I went back to Norton. I tried AVG at one point and it screwed up my computers. I had a hell of a time getting rid of it, it was worse then a virus. I had to do a system restore, Windows Defender did a better job and a free trial of McAfee found the infection and got rid of it as where AVG wanted to make it worse. My local computer tech said he doesn't even recommend AVG and 90% of the work he does on computers that had virus protection had AVG installed. My brother uses AVG and swears by it, he's had more problems then I have had using Norton, which I pay for. As far as I'm concerned anti virus software should be free, but I'm more then willing to pay for something I can trust and haven't had issues with.

I did a lot of research when I bought my new computer, before subscribing with Norton. Most of the recommended, trusted anti virus programs I came across in reviews were ones you had to pay for, very few were totally free. Even these "free" ones had upgrades you had to pay for to get better protection.

Skorian said:
... Cracking a product with code to make it work. That is theft. ...

Exactly why I said I couldn't support your suggestion to do this :D

Skorian said:
...I personally only use free anti viral software. ...

For a home user that's usually sufficient.

Skorian said:
... The most important tool you need is something that lets you see what services are running, what those services are, and help you remove anything that shouldn't be running.

Windows OSs have had this ability as long as I can remember.

Skorian said:
I think there are even a couple open source programs that can help remove virues.

Hundreds, yes.

Skorian said:
There are some anti virus programs out there that are actually themselves viral in nature. Some run keyloggers, spyware, and other nastiness.

Just like any other software, an AV application can also be a Trojan horse.

Sci-Fi said:
I pay for it, I've used Norton on and off over the years and tried others and always go back to Norton. I used McAfee for awhile and liked it but after buying my new computer I went back to Norton. I tried AVG at one point and it screwed up my computers. I had a hell of a time getting rid of it, it was worse then a virus. I had to do a system restore, Windows Defender did a better job and a free trial of McAfee found the infection and got rid of it as where AVG wanted to make it worse. My local computer tech said he doesn't even recommend AVG and 90% of the work he does on computers that had virus protection had AVG installed. My brother uses AVG and swears by it, he's had more problems then I have had using Norton, which I pay for. As far as I'm concerned anti virus software should be free, but I'm more then willing to pay for something I can trust and haven't had issues with.

I did a lot of research when I bought my new computer, before subscribing with Norton. Most of the recommended, trusted anti virus programs I came across in reviews were ones you had to pay for, very few were totally free. Even these "free" ones had upgrades you had to pay for to get better protection.

Good for you, that's what is important... finding something that meets the user's needs.

As for AVG, I no longer install it on client machines. It isn't what it used to be. I now install Avast when a user requires a free product.

Sci-Fi said:

I was once told that there are viruses that target Norton specifically. Judging by your post though, that doesn't appear to be the case I guess. Which is a good thing! lol

I am sure there is code that is designed to slip past some anti virus software. Some may even turn some programs off, prevent them from running, and/or break their internal processes.

The windows operating system does not have a full proof system for showing what is running. Some software is better at showing this.

Most trial software keep themselves from being reused by leaving a cookie somewhere on your computer. If you can remove that cookie then it can be reused. It is not the same cookie as a web cookie. It can be a line of code that is in the windows registry file. It depends on how they track trial usage.

Latest posts

Back