Depression Related to the Weather.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ak5

Reaction score
Just a theory here. :p

It sounds a bit odd that the majority of the people here are from (or living) in the UK. And as far as I know, it rains a shitload there. Also, we seem to have a lot of people from up North (Canada or Northern U.S.) and there are tons of snow and bad weather there. Could it all be related?

Shitty weather depresses so many people. Some
people it doesn't bother at all. As far as being related, I can't really say.

A lot of people get depressed around this time of year. Whether it's the weather or the upcoming holidays is anyone's guess.

It affects your mood yes, especially when you barely have any sunny days. The past few weeks we've had mostly cloudy rainy days. It does pull your mood down, more so now that it gets darker sooner. I had to turn my headlights on after I left work last night, I worked until 5:30pm. :-/ There have been studies done, and people are generally much happier when it is sunny and nice out. We're like Superman, we're fueled by the sun.

If we don't have enough serotonin it can cause depression. S.A.D. in particular .

I think it can affect mood for sure. I like rain though. I'm pretty much in a bad mood for the whole of summer and don't even come at me with hot weather in October cos I'll be murderous.

While I believe seasonal affective disorder does affect a lot of people, I found for myself it is actually more related to the moon phases.

From Dashami to Panchami (Laksmi), my moods normally tanks a little and a lot during Purnima (full moon) .

From Panchami to Amavasya (Kali) and from "Amavasya" to Dashami (Durga), my moods are generally great and do my best work during this time - esp three days before and three days after the new moon (Amavasya).

Therefore, at least for me, it more related to the moon phases as oppose to the season for the most part.

Also, during the time of shorter days and longer nights, I get to spend more time (and get more sleep) with one of my favorite hobbies - astronomy - since i can start after getting home from work with the benefit of going to bed at a decent time.

That's a good theory and I believe it's true. I find myself depressed and miserable during the summer when everything is hot and bright. This usually begins during Spring which can be really stressful. Though when winter comes around, I feel calm and comfortable. And during autumn, I'm either moody or tranquil.

i think so. i live in the deep south USA, and the winter, even though i love the weather, is when i get most depressed. something about the leafless trees, the grass turned beige, and the lack of sunlight on most days just brings my spirits down. what's worse is that it doesn't snow where i live. EVER. it's only snowed twice in the last 60 years, and i wasn't around for the most recent snowfall. i guess i've always associated the winter time with snow, and since it doesn't snow here, it's like my soul is also missing a key element during the season.

I'm wondering if the recent spike in hostility and rudeness in the forums has anything to do with the seasons changing. Or maybe I'm utterly imagining things again.

Latest posts

Back