"Christmas": Spiritual But Stressful?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
Hi People.:)

Personally, I love Christmas, but it can also be a little stressful. Everyone wants to get their loved ones the gifts they want and sadly, sometimes go into debt paying for these gifts. It's cool to see the person's eyes light up when they open up a gift that you gave them.

It's very noble to put your loved ones ahead of your money, but when it's all over, some have that debt to settle. I won't lie. I love getting presents, but sometimes I have to remind myself just what Christmas is really all about. The fact that I have to remind myself is just more proof of how much of an impact Christmas has on some people.

I've seen videos on television of people Christmas shopping who will tackle you to get that last copy of any given video game title. This behavior is insane. People's hearts are in the right place, but the way some go about it, is a tense scene indeed.

Do you feel like this?

Godspeed.
LK

In keeping with the holiday season coming, I thought that I'd resurrect this video:

[YOUTUBE]_RiYTrLnfXc[/YOUTUBE]

I have no loved ones so it isn't stressful for me

I love Christmas even just for the atmosphere, they made me nostalgic.

Christmas is my favourite holiday, despite the fact that I'm atheist.

There isn't much drama in my family, I don't have a large amount of relatives, so it's quite peaceful.

But I do wonder if my dad and his new wife will get along... their marriage is not very solid, they tend to argue a lot. Fortunatley I don't have to be around them, that's why I don't know how they are doing. I guess I'll ask my dad one of these days to see how things are so I'm prepared.

Since I have not celebrated Christmas for around 20+ years, it is not stressful for me.

Our small family get together is nice and relaxing.

Exchanging presents have been limited to $50 per person which helps focuses on eating dinner, talking, and having fun.

(For my daughter, the $50 range has been historically busted by her grandmother and great grandparents.)

I like Christmas. It's not really stressful. I have a feeling that this one will be a depressing one though.

I don't know why anyone would want to avoid stress.

Stress makes us strong and reminds us that we're alive. :)

Aww man that video is tuff honeysuckle! Those parents deserve a good hard slap in the face!

Good gods that was nasty. If they can't afford it, don't crush the kid for your own personal amusement. :(

Still...I don't much fancy Christmas. It's always been one of the worst times of the year for me. Folks always started drinking and fighting. And it was more often than not always full of it's own disappointments. Like the times someone got me a last minute gift pack of scratchable lottery tickets. It's also cold and dark, and everyone else seems to be either on the top of the world, happy as can be, or foaming-at-the-mouth-raging with bulging eyes and cursing the holiday as they steamroll through the packed streets and stores since they still got a million and one things to do, and time is running out.

Me, I just want it all to be over so I can get to my own birthday celebrations not soon after. :)

Badjedidude said:
I don't know why anyone would want to avoid stress.

Stress makes us strong and reminds us that we're alive. :)

Not all stress is good. I'm sure a lot of folks with nervous breakdowns, ulcers and hair loss would agree.

Don't you just love it around Christmas time when stores put the price up a little on their gaming consoles and have the audacity to stick a "BLOW OUT!!" sign on the shelf?

Bread said:
Not all stress is good. I'm sure a lot of folks with nervous breakdowns, ulcers and hair loss would agree.

That's OVERSTRESS. A certain amount of stress is healthy for someone; it drives them onward and keeps them on their toes. It's when you have TOO MUCH stress that nervous breakdowns, ulcers, and hair loss occur.

This is a great documentary about it:
460_0___30_0_0_0_0_0_jesusbuy.jpg

I don't have to buy anyone presents, the 'luck' of the lonely(?). I will be sending strangers Christmas gifts on a swapping website, because I actually do love buying gifts and making people happy.

2 years ago I CANCELLED CHRISTMAS !

it was the best christmas I ever had ! BAH HUMBUG LOL !

We put up a fibre optic tree but that was it.

No hassle spending money I didn't have, no queuing or running around not knowing what the hell to buy, or buying gifts no one really wants, no slaving over an oven all day, or having to sit with relatives that I don't see or see eye to eye with.

We had beans on toast for lunch and stayed in bed all day watching comedy dvd's.

Why ? - because Christmas is a religious festival that has been hijacked by the retail industry to make us feel we have to conform and spend our money to benefit them. Great if you have kids or lots of money. But not for those who can't afford it.

Just like valentines day ! You don't need to feel peer pressured to show or tell someone you love them by being told you have to rush out on a certain day.

Yes I had a tear to the eye when the Christmas parade went by and also felt guilty - but if you can't afford it or you are unhappy its best to just let it fly by - because by boxing day its all over anyway, so not worth getting upset or in debt for.

Christmas is only as stressful as you make it. Don’t like high prices? Then don’t buy those items. Hate sitting around with relatives? Then don’t go.

For me Christmas is a time of helping and trying to do some good. Again this year I’m volunteering at two nursing homes, a homeless shelter and a local hospital. It helps me get out of the house and makes up for the lack of people in my life. Plus all that working stops me from scoffing all the chocolates!

I have felt best of the both worlds... but overall... I find it kind of calming. It's a season for people to come together and well.. I enjoy the music and shiny decorations but that's just icing on the cake. I REALLY enjoy the christmas cartoons and movies and can watch them over and over again. As for presents.. I enjoy buying but I don't go all crazy or allow myself to. I can't even if I wanted to lol.

For me it's neither (spiritual nor stessful).

But the word you're looking for is "Black Friday." That's where the stress is! :cool:
People have literally been trampled, robbed, and threatened with weapons Black Friday. All for some dance-with-me Dora and Xbox 360.

LoneKiller said:
My father, always says around Christmas time: "..Take Away The Gifts And See How Merry It Is.."

In my experience he was right !

I suppose the key to taking the stress out of it is to stay within your limits.

or doing this to the relatives that wind you up ......:club:

LOL

Latest posts

Back