Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things that boost your self-esteem?
I think I have reasonable confidence (at least when it comes to small things), but it's my self-esteem that's been lacking. Now I'm trying to change that.

Whenever I feel down, assuming I'm at home or whatever, the last few days I've started doing some stuff to try and get myself back into a positive, active mood.

1. I've started "shadowboxing", as the cool kids call it Toungue Throwing some punches makes me feel physically stronger, gets my heart rate up quickly and makes me feel more energetic. Seems to make me feel more proactive about getting things done too. Surprising how different it can make me feel.

2. I've started reinforcing my good qualities in my mind. If I said the stuff I've been thinking out loud, I'd probably sound like an absolute twit. In my head though, it seems to cut off those annoying "doubting" thoughts. I tell myself I'm a good person, I'm strong, intelligent, stuff like that.

I've even started saying this to myself in my head before I walk into a room full of people, it seems to help me make a good impact when I do actually open that mouth of mine.

3. I've tried to stop being negative about myself. I had so many strange, subconscious little thoughts like "I'm not a cool/interesting/hot/normal/confident/intelligent/strong person." Only when I stopped to dwell on it recently did I realise how much I always put myself down, nearly non-stop. Hopefully I can curb that now.

So there are my quirky "boosters". Does anyone else do anything in particular to feel good about themselves? I'd be really interested to know, because I really think feeling secure in oneself is the key to a lot of things in life Smile
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things...and no good thing ever dies."
Complete some projects, even small easy ones. Makes me feel like I accomplished something.
Pay yourself a compliment, or when others pay you a compliment accept it and tell yourself they are right.

[Image: 8C7Zu7.gif]
I like to go running. When I come back I usually feel like a fresh new sponge.
I usually like to deep-think, ponder about things and give out all the positives. This usually makes me feel better and in a better mood.
"The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest..."
- Henry David Thoreau

Like a pundit, I offer my advice uncensored and completely from gut feeling.

[Image: Popcorn_02_Stephen_Colbert.gif]
Flirting – you don’t need to consider the recipient attractive and you may not always get a response but continue to be polite and keep being charming because having a total stranger flash you a smile can be an amazing feeling.
Take my love, take my land, take me where I can not stand.
I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.
Exercise definitely boost your self esteem a year ago I could not leave the house because of anxiety and a touch of agoraphobia along with crippling shyness and self loathing. Now I shouldn't leave the house because I get into rows with the staff at shops...
Taking care of yourself: exercise, healthy meals, flossing, a relaxing bath etc

Coming up with a countering/positive thought for a few negative thoughts you have and repeating these positive statements every day to yourself several times a day: (ex I'm ugly / I have a nice smile) and stopping yourself in the middle of a negative thought with a positive one

Explore hobbies/interests, find out what you're good at and do that

To sum up, you change your habits. You make yourself do things/think things even if you don't believe them. You retrain your mind.
^I love it.
Getting the numbers round on Countdown is always a thrill. Toungue

Definitely doing something productive no matter what it is can make you feel better.

I have a little thought I think to myself too. I'd never tell anyone what that thought is but it makes me feel better.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are some ways to improve self-esteem? Azariah 59 10,203 01-15-2019, 09:22 AM
Last Post: Phantimos
  Mom is killing my self esteem Missingthesun 19 5,087 05-20-2017, 11:09 AM
Last Post: WallflowerGirl83
  Building confidence,higher self esteem and overcoming shyness? owmygod 19 6,032 02-26-2017, 07:27 AM
Last Post: owmygod
  10 winning quotes for those with low self-esteem NewOrder2016 5 3,277 12-18-2016, 06:57 AM
Last Post: Lacrecia
  Regular A.L.L. Anti-Loneliness/ Low-Self Esteem Drop-in Sessions...? Would love... MyTherapyisALL 5 2,594 12-11-2016, 01:51 PM
Last Post: lilE
  Survey on self-esteem related issues Oniönhead 6 2,719 11-18-2016, 06:14 AM
Last Post: sothatwasmylife
  Interesting read on self esteem LonelyInAtl 12 7,557 10-24-2016, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Saddo
  Thinking things over BeyondShy 41 8,400 04-07-2016, 01:46 AM
Last Post: handheart
  Self Esteem has gone M.I.A. LordofLosers 27 8,377 10-14-2015, 10:02 PM
Last Post: kathyjoyce
  Inflated self-esteem LiLeila 26 7,380 09-25-2015, 06:35 PM
Last Post: kunapuy