Things that boost your self-esteem?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSolitaryMan

Reaction score
I think I have reasonable confidence (at least when it comes to small things), but it's my self-esteem that's been lacking. Now I'm trying to change that.

Whenever I feel down, assuming I'm at home or whatever, the last few days I've started doing some stuff to try and get myself back into a positive, active mood.

1. I've started "shadowboxing", as the cool kids call it :p Throwing some punches makes me feel physically stronger, gets my heart rate up quickly and makes me feel more energetic. Seems to make me feel more proactive about getting things done too. Surprising how different it can make me feel.

2. I've started reinforcing my good qualities in my mind. If I said the stuff I've been thinking out loud, I'd probably sound like an absolute twit. In my head though, it seems to cut off those annoying "doubting" thoughts. I tell myself I'm a good person, I'm strong, intelligent, stuff like that.

I've even started saying this to myself in my head before I walk into a room full of people, it seems to help me make a good impact when I do actually open that mouth of mine.

3. I've tried to stop being negative about myself. I had so many strange, subconscious little thoughts like "I'm not a cool/interesting/hot/normal/confident/intelligent/strong person." Only when I stopped to dwell on it recently did I realise how much I always put myself down, nearly non-stop. Hopefully I can curb that now.

So there are my quirky "boosters". Does anyone else do anything in particular to feel good about themselves? I'd be really interested to know, because I really think feeling secure in oneself is the key to a lot of things in life :)

Pay yourself a compliment, or when others pay you a compliment accept it and tell yourself they are right.

I like to go running. When I come back I usually feel like a fresh new sponge.

I usually like to deep-think, ponder about things and give out all the positives. This usually makes me feel better and in a better mood.

Flirting – you don’t need to consider the recipient attractive and you may not always get a response but continue to be polite and keep being charming because having a total stranger flash you a smile can be an amazing feeling.

Exercise definitely boost your self esteem a year ago I could not leave the house because of anxiety and a touch of agoraphobia along with crippling shyness and self loathing. Now I shouldn't leave the house because I get into rows with the staff at shops...

Taking care of yourself: exercise, healthy meals, flossing, a relaxing bath etc

Coming up with a countering/positive thought for a few negative thoughts you have and repeating these positive statements every day to yourself several times a day: (ex I'm ugly / I have a nice smile) and stopping yourself in the middle of a negative thought with a positive one

Explore hobbies/interests, find out what you're good at and do that

To sum up, you change your habits. You make yourself do things/think things even if you don't believe them. You retrain your mind.

Getting the numbers round on Countdown is always a thrill. :p

Definitely doing something productive no matter what it is can make you feel better.

I have a little thought I think to myself too. I'd never tell anyone what that thought is but it makes me feel better.

Practicing public speaking. Not that I ever speak in public, but practicing it makes me feel good. :)

Cold approaching people (women really). Improving my guitar playing. Music composition.

Lost Drifter said:
Flirting – you don’t need to consider the recipient attractive and you may not always get a response but continue to be polite and keep being charming because having a total stranger flash you a smile can be an amazing feeling.

this

Bantering with some coworkers, who are kind of like friends. We never meet outside of work.

But honestly, any social situation where I'm getting along with everyone works.

BeyondShy said:
Paraiyar said:
Cold approaching people (women really).

I'd have an easier time climbing a mountain with no shoes on.

I have an easier time climbing Everest with no legs

Im still KING

Exercise, successfully helping people with their issues. Can't think of anything else.

Latest posts

Back