Things that boost your self-esteem?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly nothing really. ^^; Maybe receiving compliments but not if I don't feel I deserve them.

My customers have boosted my self esteem a lot over the last 6 months. Through them, I know that I do an alright job. Unfortunately, there are a lot louder voices telling me that I don't.

Mostly it's reflecting with upbeat music. I also like goofing off and starting banter in games. They get pretty quiet sometimes even if there are a lot of people around.

AmytheTemperamental said:
My customers have boosted my self esteem a lot over the last 6 months. Through them, I know that I do an alright job. Unfortunately, there are a lot louder voices telling me that I don't.
I had a customer that normally would come in loud and obnoxious a 11 out of 10
He was wound a little tight ...one day I said to him if he kept up like that he was going to have a stroke ...it stopped him for a little bit
Another occasion he came in the doors hollering ..I had a customer on the phone that could clearly hear him in the back ground ...I put the phone on hold
I went up one side and down the other of this jackass
From that day forward he was a lot more bearable LOL

Just because they have a loud voice doesnt mean they are right !!

I think your selfesteem will grow when you will see results in your life .Start reading tony robins ,law of attraction ,Napoleon hill books etc .Find a purpose in life and fight for it until you succed never give up

This is a very interesting thread. I am very happy to help you with some tips that can really boost your Self-esteem:

1) Appreciate Yourself
2) Forgive Yourself When You Make Mistakes
3) Reward Yourself
4) Be Kinder And Caring About Other People
5) Start To Use Motivational Habits

For complete explanation and example, suggestions on how to pursue them, feel free to have a look at this relevant source:
http://mind-globe.com/tips-increase-self-esteem

I'd say one of the things that can boost my self-esteem.... is talking to some people who just makes you feel good.

ladyforsaken said:
I'd say one of the things that can boost my self-esteem.... is talking to some people who just makes you feel good.

Seconded.

I guess being accepted for who you are, let's you realize there's in fact nothing wrong with you. Don't go hard trying to prove yourself, change yourself, or get acceptance from the wrong people in order to boost your self esteem. But rather, surround yourself with the right people.

Self growth is one thing (don't confuse the two), changing yourself for someone else is another.

ladyforsaken said:

Came here to say exactly the same thing. So I guess that's thirded. Some people are just easy to talk to and they make you feel comfortable, accepted, and welcome every time.

1. Having dogs as pets because they shower you with an abundance of love and appreciation everyday.
2. Yoga/any exercise that makes me feel like I've worked hard
3. Positive feedback about my work from colleagues/boss/students
4. Trying on pretty clothes and feeling like they look nice on me
5. Volunteering because it makes me feel like I've done something worthwhile

I think those are good exercises -- thanks for posting!

I used to struggle a lot with shyness and being afraid to speak up, along with being incredibly self-conscious about everything I said or did.

I wasn't incredibly social growing up, but it wasn't until late high school/college that I started to realize that I was pretty bad socially. Realizing that I was awkward and uncomfortable to be around made things even worse, and just made me become more and more introverted.

What really helped build my confidence though was not only discovering personal development (John Assaraf, Tony Robbins, Brian Tracy, Jim Rohn, etc.), but joining Toastmasters International.

Working on public speaking and leadership in a safe environment where everyone has similar goals and supports each other was really liberating, and it really helped to build my confidence.

A couple of years of public speaking/personal development gave me the confidence to give independent keynotes at universities and even pursue new business ventures outside of my normal job as an engineer - things I never saw myself doing only a couple years before.

I think the positive thinking/reconditioning does make a difference, but what made the most lasting impact on me was taking action/doing what I was afraid of.

I actually read a great book on self-esteem, called the Six Pillars of Self-Esteem, by Nathaniel Branden (I actually wrote about it here: https://curtisyungen.wordpress.com/2016/04/25/how-to-improve-your-self-esteem/).

It says one of the cornerstones of self-esteem is self-efficacy. I think by developing our skills (particularly those in communication and leadership) makes a huge difference in how we see ourselves, and how we interact with others.

Anyway, great post on an excellent topic!

-- Curtis

Self-esteem has an inevitable importance in our life and achievements. We should attain a healthy self-esteem in order to maintain our mental health. The cause of low self-esteem is biased interpretation and perceptions. You should believe in yourself in a realistic way. My self-esteem was very low and had suffered a lot because of this. I used to compare my failures with others success and that had made me weird. All my confidence and talents were gone and I became alone. That was one of my hardest time. Later I sought help from a well known mental health clinic in Toronto. They helped me to enhance my self-esteem by some sessions and ACT therapy ( http://www.cbtassociates.com/about-cbt/what-is-act/ ). The first thing that you have to do to boost your confidence is identifying the real problem that makes you down. And then you should adjust your thoughts and beliefs in a positive and realistic way. Explore and encourage yourself to do more creative activities. These are the lesson that I learned from those therapy sessions. Exercises will be a great way to boost our self-esteem. Yoga, meditation, healthy diet and regular exercises are my strategies for increasing my self-esteem.

A little late to the party, but I wanted to add my two cents.
1. Get down to do 10 or 15 push-ups, which will really get your heart rate up and get blood pumping into your muscles, making you feel stronger immediately.
2. Try a power pose, as advocated by Amy Cuddy in her TED Talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are?language=en
3. Try meditating. One of my favourite guided meditations for self-esteem is from Glenn Harrold:

Latest posts

Back