A crossroad in an 18 year old's life that needs advice.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

135alex531

Reaction score
I'm an 18 year old freshman attending Jefferson Community College currently doing the "Ultra Program". The ultra program is for students who do well on the ACT but not so well on their high school GPA. Kids who are smart, but it doesn't reflect on their grades for whatever reason. My personal recipe for my own lack of success was pot + a lack of motivation. Now i'm 18 years old, head screwed on a little tighter, and attending JCC for my entire freshman year. Now Ultra is a transfer program in which you reach a certain number of credit hours at JCC, then you are allowed to switch over to the University (uofl). The minimum amount of credits necessary to transfer is 24 (8 classes) and the maximum amount of credits to transfer is 60 (20 classes). Now the person who takes 20 classes at JCC then transfers gets the SAME University of Louisville degree as someone who takes 8 classes. At a third of the price.
I don't feel connected with the community college that i go to at all. I take 3 classes and am only on campus 2 days a week. The classes are easy and I have 3 A's as well as sooo much free time on my hands.
I spend most of my free time at my friend's place. He and 2 other good friends are renting an apartment and living there full time. They all are doing decent academically but i don't think they are reaching their full potential. Their main activity they partake in is smoking weed. And when i'm with them that is my main activity as well. It's an everyday thing that quite frankly i'm getting sick of. I spend hundreds of dollars every 2 weeks to get high and sit in an apartment. I could save that money and go scuba dive the Great Barrier Reef! I could do anything. But i'm stuck in this routine...This monotony....This boredom. And i'm not quite sure how to get out of it.
I know the first step is to meet new friends. I was always popular in high school. Friends came to me, it was never the other way around. I really don't know how to make friends. I also go to a school where i am not connected and have no desire to be, i've met nobody of interest.
I have to go to this school though...It is cheap and will allow me to get through a portion of college debt free and that is awesome. I can't decide if i want to transfer after 8 classes or take advantage of the cheap 20 classes and just bite the bullet.
I'm 18 years old. Out of high school and just about all grown up. I'm coming out of a 9 month relationship and have hit rock bottom. I'm ready to experience life, meet new people and be happy. The thing is the monotony that I've come to despise so much is also a comfort zone for me and i love it in that way.
There must be some wisdom on this website that can give me some advice and help me on my track to success and happiness...
If you read this far, Thank You.[/font]

Stop being oblivious is the first step, drop the pot addiction, get a job (or a better one), and continue studying.

Sure, easier said than done, but it is possible.

DO SOMETHING! You don't HAVE to go to that school. You don't HAVE to go to school period. There are other avenues you can take besides going to college if it doesn't feel right for you. You can join the military. If you don't want full time active duty right away then just join the reserves. Or you could go to a trade school and see if there is something offered there that you might be interested in.

This is only your first semester right? If this is how you are feeling now, then most likely you aren't going to be finishing college. That's just how it is. Only about 50% of all students end up graduating. Some universities even go as low as 40%.

Just don't waste your time. That is one of my biggest regrets. I wasted so much time running into brick walls.

[Edit- And no more pot. It kills motivation.]

Latest posts

Back