How to change your IP address.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skorian

Reaction score
At some point I plan to add more then just filler :p

I'm already gonna add that there is no simple way of changing your IP address. It's usually under control of your internet provider and stays the same for long periods of time (unless you're dialling up).

Your best shot at resetting your address IP is to disconnect your router from the internet for a long period of time (try a day or so). If your ISP's routers detect that your IP address isn't being used any more, they might take it up in their pool of available IP's and give out a new one the next time you connect to the internet.

Notice that I'm talking about your public IP address here. Not the private one which your computer has as well (that one can be changed easily, but there's little point in doing so most of the time). These private IP's are usually marked as 192.168.xxx.xxx , 172.16.xx.xxx or 10.xxx.xxx.xxx , they have no meaning whatsoever on the internet.

/nerd out

Ian Haines said:
Intriguing!

Tell us all about changing our IP addresses, and why we might care to do that.

Quit being an ass.

I'm tired of it.

We all know why one might want to change their IP address. To avoid bans. Why not state that directly?

This is a support forum, and moderators are here to break up fights and enforce rules, not to be aggressive and rude to others which you have been in several posts.

SophiaGrace said:
Ian Haines said:
Intriguing!

Tell us all about changing our IP addresses, and why we might care to do that.

Quit being an ass.

I'm tired of it.

We all know why one might want to change their IP address. To avoid bans. Why not state that directly?

This is a support forum, and moderators are here to break up fights and enforce rules, not to be aggressive and rude to others which you have been in several posts.

And I'd say that you calling him an ass falls under the "being agressive and rude to others" also.
No name-calling.

I was wondering why myself. That must mean that i am an ass also. Oh well.

Double standards. Awesome.

Minus said:

Nah, not you.

SophiaGrace said:

Minus said:

Nah, not you.

There's no issue of a double standard here. You called another person an ass. That's name-calling. Simple.

It was quite rude and uncalled for.

So you can show up as coming from Australia, the US, or anywhere you want to. To prevent stalking or hacking. There are many reasons.

There is software and services that you can purchase that can alter your IP address.

This was more just a reminder to myself to look at what is new that is out there.

I don't really get the point of this thread, being as you aren't giving any information.

your public ip address (router gateway) is dynamic; it changes whenever you reboot your router. Servers use a static ip address which their ISPs provide, usually costing more money though.

local ip addresses on local area networks can be changed from your machine, but you must make sure there are no conflicts!

just cos your gateway ip address can change, doesn't mean your machine's can't be traced though. Each machine has a unique MAC address. Bans for example, are usually applied to these. So don't be thinking you can escape bans just by rebooting your router! ;D

new hardware + new connection will escape these bans though.

(In a very brief nutshell =x)

Skorian said:
There is software and services that you can purchase that can alter your IP address.

No there aren't, and if there are, they're spoofs or services provided by your ISP and your ISP only (meaning whatever might work for you, won't work for someone else)

What these so called programs MIGHT offer you is to connect through a "proxy server", which means if you were to surf for instance to these forums. You would send all your information to the proxy and the proxy would then send it to ALL using one of its own IP's instead of you doing it directly. So it's like you're hiding behind someone else. It's a way to bypass IP bans, but proxy's only have that much IP's as well. And a lot of them are banned for lot's of sites already.

Proxy servers are very dangerous things because you send all your information (including passwords, creditcard numbers, private messages w/e it is you do on the internet) all right past it, and unless you're connecting to secure sites (marked with https://) , every piece of information that you send over the internet can be seen by the people administrating the proxy.

Use these so called IP changing programs at your own risk.

your public ip address (router gateway) is dynamic; it changes whenever you reboot your router. Servers use a static ip address which their ISPs provide, usually costing more money though.

This is not always true. Some ISP's might give you a new IP every time you reboot your router, some might simply assign you your old one again. This is ISP policy. Your ISP in theory always knows who you are, so they can counter forced IP resets. I get a new public IP address about once a month or so. Servers have static ip addresses most of the time because it is described that way in their TOS towards the ISP.

EveWasFramed said:
SophiaGrace said:

Minus said:

Nah, not you.

There's no issue of a double standard here. You called another person an ass. That's name-calling. Simple.

Well, I admit I did something against the rules (name calling), but i disagree, I do think there is a double standard going on here.

Ian did call us Hecklers in one post of his. That is name calling.

Double Standards.

You can also have a second service downline that specially encrypts and alters your IP address as I understand it.

Or you can just buy some hosting and set up your own personal proxy server. Get as many IPs to use as you want.

Polar said:
Skorian said:

No there aren't, and if there are, they're spoofs or services provided by your ISP and your ISP only (meaning whatever might work for you, won't work for someone else)

What these so called programs MIGHT offer you is to connect through a "proxy server", which means if you were to surf for instance to these forums. You would send all your information to the proxy and the proxy would then send it to ALL using one of its own IP's instead of you doing it directly. So it's like you're hiding behind someone else. It's a way to bypass IP bans, but proxy's only have that much IP's as well. And a lot of them are banned for lot's of sites already.

Proxy servers are very dangerous things because you send all your information (including passwords, creditcard numbers, private messages w/e it is you do on the internet) all right past it, and unless you're connecting to secure sites (marked with https://) , every piece of information that you send over the internet can be seen by the people administrating the proxy.

Use these so called IP changing programs at your own risk.

There are many options.

There are people on here who already secretly have more then one account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back