Black Friday

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ak5

Reaction score
It's Black Friday here in the United States! It is said that more than a quarter of the total annual retail sales occur during this time. Stores open early, drop their prices, people pack the stores and malls, stampedes, complete and utter chaos.

Too much hype? Is it worth not sleeping and having to wait in line for hours? What are your thoughts guys?

well, some stores opened and started at 9 last night and also most of the deals were available online all day yesterday.
But I think it's stupid, some person pepper sprayed a bunch of people so they couldn't get what she wanted. honeysuckle like that happens every year, stories like that one and worse. I hate shopping as it is, so I'm not stupid enough to go out today. I'll shop the deals online if there's something I want. Or if I know someone else is going, I'll ask them to get me what I want.
It's just asking for trouble.

+1 except I went to Staples this morning at six and bought my daughter a laptop computer that was $300 off for her birthday.

I was in and out of the store within 15 minutes and took a total of 25 minutes from leaving my house, purchasing the laptop, and returning home.
biggrin.gif

All the "crazies" were at Walmart, Best Buy, etc fighting it out with one another.
disbelief.gif

Callie said:
well, some stores opened and started at 9 last night and also most of the deals were available online all day yesterday.
But I think it's stupid, some person pepper sprayed a bunch of people so they couldn't get what she wanted. honeysuckle like that happens every year, stories like that one and worse. I hate shopping as it is, so I'm not stupid enough to go out today. I'll shop the deals online if there's something I want. Or if I know someone else is going, I'll ask them to get me what I want. It's just asking for trouble.

Got a few things last night at midnight. Stores were jam packed.

We have that here in Canada too, except most places will call it Midnight Madness. It's C-R-A-Z-Y!! I've only been once, and that was enough for me.

I read that a woman pepper sprayed other costumers in order to get xBox games...

Felix said:
I read that a woman pepper sprayed other costumers in order to get xBox games...

That is extremely screwed up and selfish. I hope she didn't get one. Hope they took it away.

Got quite a few good deals here. :p

And yeah Felix I saw that, people like to go to the extreme lol.

havent gone the last few yrs
just dont c the deals like i used 2
so not worth it 2 me 2 save any less than a couple hundred
waste of time

Steam has a number of weekend sales this holiday for those curious, so its an ideal time to buy video games.

I feel sorry for the underpaid, overworked, and poorly protected shop clerks and assistants who end up getting stampeded. Madness.

I think it's great that so many things are on sale but I'd rather not get stomped on or worse. lol

Just a little factoid for anyone who doesn't know why it's called Black Friday....

Retail usually operates at a loss (in the red) until the official kick-off of the shopping season, aptly named "black" Friday because they move from operating at a loss, to making money (into the black).

EveWasFramed said:
Just a little factoid for anyone who doesn't know why it's called Black Friday....

Retail usually operates at a loss (in the red) until the official kick-off of the shopping season, aptly named "black" Friday because they move from operating at a loss, to making money (into the black).
I didn't know that.... Sure it isn't because of all the people that get trampled by crazy people? I swear every year someone gets injured or worse by being walked over.

Skorian said:
EveWasFramed said:

I didn't know that.... Sure it isn't because of all the people that get trampled by crazy people? .

Positive.

I know that stock prices usually surge this time of year. Stay up a few months and then sag back down

I've always thought as a foreign observer that Black Friday pretty much typifies everything messed up with materialism these days.

I'm not an anti-establishment person (as you've probably noticed from my rather fiery replies to people who are :rolleyes: ), but this is one event that I find a bit depressing.

The fact that people would pepper spray others, beat them/stab them/shoot them/trample them to death over the latest kid's toy or an Xbox just saddens me to be honest.

TheSolitaryMan said:
I've always thought as a foreign observer that Black Friday pretty much typifies everything messed up with materialism these days.

Black Friday /is/ stupid, to be fair with all of the various components of hysteria, misplaced priorities and mob pyschology in one giant ball of crazy. I think of them the same as football hooligans who burn cars and stampede after games. There's enough of that kind of really...random and undirected violence that one could make a reasonable argument that there are people who just want to hurt people and are waiting for any trigger that allows them to have a motive.

Latest posts

Back