Talking about depression

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anonymous Rex

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right board for this, not sure where else.

I'm feeling pretty awful, have been for a while, but I'm not sure how to talk about my depression to those around me.
I have told most of those round me how I feel (with exceptions - my Gran etc. - a few people who maybe wouldn't deal with it that well), but in terms of further discussions I don't really know how to talk about this.

'How are you today?' 'I feel like there's this thick fog inside my brain, I can't think properly and life seems utterly pointless. You?'
Not the best, really.

I'd quite like to be the kind of person who can talk frankly about my depression, pretty sh!t at it at the moment.

Any advice?

No advice, unfortunately. I'm pretty new to dealing with depression myself, and still trying to learn how to live with it.

But:
Anonymous Rex said:
'I feel like there's this thick fog inside my brain, I can't think properly and life seems utterly pointless. You?'

This was a pretty darn accurate way of describing that feeling. I'm going to use this next time someone asks me about my day. ;)

its hard for people who have never felt it to understand how it feels.
talking to them is just trying to explain something they will never fully understand.
that can be a pretty frustrating conversation.

someone who has been through or is going through the same thing will understand you a lot better.
that makes talking about it a lot easyer.

im guessing youll find plenty of people that can relate here.
you found 2 so far ;)

just say whats on your mind, and dont get to upset if people dont get it.
some people just have (happy for them) no idea what your talking about.

Like Paulo said, someone who has had or has depression is better placed to understand what you are going through. And talking/writing to someone who has been there emotionally helps to reduce to an extent the terrible feeling of isolation which depression brings. I remember meeting someone else with depression once and while we were talking, it felt that, although we were still in complete blackness, we were together there and not totally alone.

We got your back don't feel depressed your wonderful and have a bright future ahead of you. One of the best things you can do to get out of depression is to do that which you love. For what you love is never a pain but a joy. Let is sustain you and find things that will even go up and beyond the horizon. Explore new things you had never explored from music to new types of books to gaming whatever it is you want to explore. You can do anything that is physically happen for real.

You can even explore the sky and space. Just tie a weather balloon to a camera. Learn what you need to to make it fly and to make it send a signal back to you on a computer or tv. Then when someone asks if you seen space you can say sure and even prove it by a video tape. Your amazing and can do amazing things the world is your stage.

agree w/othrs
talks about depression r best kept btwn those whov been there
most ppl?
(as ive noticd?)
dnt really like hearng negative thngs
it doesnt seem socially acceptable
n?
in the end?
it will probably just end up depressng a person w/depression?
evn MORE
since those ppl will nt know how 2 react 2 ur xpressions of depression
as bad as that seems?
it just appears 2b how it is
so if u feel u must discuss ur depression?
its probably best 4 YOU 2 limit the types of ppl u discuss that w/2 eithr those who have gone thru it/r still going thru it or counselors/therapists
so in that?
u rnt the victim of negative reactions>>
which only?
in the end?
make u feel >>
well?
more depressd
:rolleyes:

Thanks all, it's something I'm really self-conscious about, good to know that the language I'm using at least makes sense.
Maybe I could work on letting out what I'm feeling in diluted amounts, rather than being totally deceitful about how I'm feeling.

Latest posts

Back