Is therapy as creepy as I think it is?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roguewave

Reaction score
Just this night I found myself thinking about my upcoming therapy session and how utterly creepy it is that I don't know a thing about the person I have been telling some of the most personal and intimate details of my life to, for over two years.
I told a relative this and they found my conclusion to be completely irrational, considering that my therapist is a professional and has a university degree.
But I am not sure.
Is therapy weird? Do you think its basic premise is as insane as I believe it to be?

Just wondering.

roguewave said:
Just this night I found myself thinking about my upcoming therapy session and how utterly creepy it is that I don't know a thing about the person I have been telling some of the most personal and intimate details of my life to, for over two years.
I told a relative this and they found my conclusion to be completely irrational, considering that my therapist is a professional and has a university degree.
But I am not sure.
Is therapy weird? Do you think its basic premise is as insane as I believe it to be?

Just wondering.

Actually I find it most invigorating..... really.

i had this same type of issue when i went 4 therapy yrs ago
it inhibitd me @ the time
i mean?
how could i tell sum1 everythng about me?
yet they wouldnt tell me a thing about them
the main focus of my sessions bcame steerng my therapist in2 self relevation n xposure
LoL
wont mention wut happnd aftr that
:rolleyes:
bad story
but i feel diffrntly now since learning more about life/ppl/minds
a therapist has 2 keep this distance 2 b able 2 do his/her job effectively
any therapist who would cross this line?
is a BAD therapist
n
1 who could/would do damage

i imagine therapeutic relationships are different than uhm relationships that are not therapeutic

It takes alot and I mean alot of heart for a person to become a therapist. Most if not all are people who got into the field did because of its nature. Its about helping others I think that alone really sets a standard for the type of person they are. The best cure to fear is knowledge. By understanding not only the profession but the people in it. You can begin to understand if your fear is warranted or not. Its up to you who you put your trust and your involve your personal life with. But you shouldn't let fear get the best of you to. I hope everything will work out and I hope it won't bother you no more.

Vinan said:
It takes alot and I mean alot of heart for a person to become a therapist. Most if not all are people who got into the field did because of its nature. Its about helping others I think that alone really sets a standard for the type of person they are. The best cure to fear is knowledge. By understanding not only the profession but the people in it. You can begin to understand if your fear is warranted or not. Its up to you who you put your trust and your involve your personal life with. But you shouldn't let fear get the best of you to. I hope everything will work out and I hope it won't bother you no more.

I'm not afraid of my therapist. I am genuinely concerned about my privacy. And I'm not sure it takes a lot of heart either, more like an interest in psychology. Most of the therapists I've seen have been average and don't have much to offer.

roguewave said:
I'm not afraid of my therapist. I am genuinely concerned about my privacy. And I'm not sure it takes a lot of heart either, more like an interest in psychology. Most of the therapists I've seen have been average and don't have much to offer.

A therapist is legally prohibited from releasing information unless such information is an immediate threat to yourself or to others. You don't need to "spill your guts" either; just talk to one and see if you feel that he or she is capable of assisting you. Then you can decide your trust level later on - you don't need to tell him that you have been traumatized by fluffy objects every since your mother allowed you to be subject to an experiment where someone blew up a balloon whenever a rabbit was shown to you, for example. You can just say that you feel phobic of rabbits and state that fact; he or she can then recommend what can be done to overcome that specific phobia.

Its just like any other medical professional.

IgnoredOne said:
roguewave said:

A therapist is legally prohibited from releasing information unless such information is an immediate threat to yourself or to others. You don't need to "spill your guts" either; just talk to one and see if you feel that he or she is capable of assisting you.

Its just like any other medical professional.

+1

Idk. I think I'm done with therapy. I can't justify going anymore.

I can't fathom the idea of therapy for loneliness.
I refuse to pay people to act like my friend just to have someone to talk to.
*laughs*

First of all, 2 years going, you obviously trust this therapist. Of course it's weird, you're telling them your life and paying for it lol.

If you're comfortable, which 2 years tells me you are, then you should be fine, avoid the creepy thoughts. Oh and tell your therapist you feel that therapy is creepy, interesting conversation would arise. :p

blackdot said:
I can't fathom the idea of therapy for loneliness.
I refuse to pay people to act like my friend just to have someone to talk to.
*laughs*

uh they don't act like your friend, they're there to help you work through your problems.

Ak5 said:
First of all, 2 years going, you obviously trust this therapist. Of course it's weird, you're telling them your life and paying for it lol.

If you're comfortable, which 2 years tells me you are, then you should be fine, avoid the creepy thoughts. Oh and tell your therapist you feel that therapy is creepy, interesting conversation would arise. :p

It doesn't work like that. I've been going to this therapist for 2+ years because they let me get away with b/s ing my way through it. I have talked about nothing but superficial fluff for 2 years. I keep going because I need to see a therapist to get my medication, which helps me feel better.

roguewave said:
Ak5 said:

It doesn't work like that. I've been going to this therapist for 2+ years because they let me get away with b/s ing my way through it. I have talked about nothing but superficial fluff for 2 years. I keep going because I need to see a therapist to get my medication, which helps me feel better.

and you don't address your real issues because...

I've been in therapy since I was 8 years old. I've seen dozens of therapists all over the country. It's become a rat race to me.

When is it enough? When should someone give up on talk therapy and look into other alternatives?

roguewave said:
I've been in therapy since I was 8 years old. I've seen dozens of therapists all over the country. It's become a rat race to me.

When is it enough? When should someone give up on talk therapy and look into other alternatives?

Give up on therapy and talk to me instead. :D

SophiaGrace said:
roguewave said:

Give up on therapy and talk to me instead. :D

I am on MSN right now :)

Latest posts

Back