New here and just felt like writing things down.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackdot

Reaction score
-- "Life is like a poker game. We live with the cards life dealt us. Some people are born with a royal flush. Others are born with a toilet flush." -- -me

It sucks when you have friends yet you are soooo alone. I am in a large community service group and there are a lot of people in it that would say they are my friend. Yet none of them realize how alone I am.
It sucks being 38 and not having a clue of how to date someone. It doesn't help that I didn't start looking until I was 35. It doesn't help when I find out that women who are single are single because they don't want to date. It doesn't help when the women I attract are married women. *laughs*

I asked my mom once why she didn't e-mail me much. She said it was because I sound so depressed. I snapped back that I am not depressed, I am lonely. There is a difference! I told her I sound depressed cause I have no one to talk to. She asked me what I meant and I told her that the only person I hear from is her. She thought other people talked to me. I told her no other than an occasional coworker at work. She was sorry and said she would write me more often then. But she doesn't cause she once again says I sound depressed. *laughs*

Things in my life should be good. I have a house that is paid off. I have a car that is paid off. I have a job (although it can be debated that my job is not good). I have friends with the community service group. Yet I have no one to talk to. And no one seems to notice.
I guess it doesn't help that I am good at hiding my feelings. People in real life think I am happy and social. They get shocked when I tell them I don't know how to find a date. That I don't own a cell phone. That I don't go on vacations. That I don't go shopping. Usually they then write me off as crazy and run away.
If they ask why I don't have a cell phone. I ask, who am I supposed to talk to? If they ask why I don't go on vacations. I ask, who am I supposed to go with? If they ask why I can't shop. I ask, where can I go where I won't see other couples walking hand in hand being happy together. Thank God for online shopping. Add to cart and ship to my front door. *laughs*

I hate going to bed crying. Or waking up throwing up. Or going to work and hiding in the stairwell. Or just staring at the ceiling fan at home.

I really hate getting in arguments with people who think depression and loneliness are the same thing. They tell me to go to a doctor and pick up some pills. I ask them if they know a doctor that is single and looking to date instead. *laughs*
You can't solve loneliness with pills. Sure, you can try to hide it by dulling your feelings but it doesn't solve that you don't have anyone to sit with and talk to and go out with and laugh with.
Everyone else goes out and gets a life. Everyone else goes on living and leaving me behind.

I'm a great person. I am someone that people love to hang out with when there is an event I am at. I love to make people laugh. I am interesting. And people tell me that I am very cute. But unfortunately people don't want to be around someone like that.
I went on a date with someone on a dating website this year. I wasn't sure about her before I met but we sat for 3 hours laughing and talking and I found we had a lot in common. I contacted her after the 1st date to see if she wanted to do something again. She finally responded that she had a great time, that I was very entertaining, that I made her laugh, that we had a lot in common... but that that was not what she was looking for. HUH????????
I guess that explains why I hear women complaining about the guy they are dating and how terrible he is and that he doesn't care about them. I guess if women only want to date guys who don't like conversations, who don't care about knowing things about the woman they are with, or who has nothing in common with them; then it ain't going to work out. But then those women will come crying to me. I will cheer them up. They will then run away again to find another guy they have nothing in common with and who hurts them. *laughs*

It really is a struggle each day knowing that each morning will be just like the one before.
People would miss me if I was gone. People would be sad to not have me around. People would be shocked that I felt so alone. Yet none of them would care until I was gone. I have told some people how things are. They will at first try to help but then they realize that the things they find fun are not what I find fun. Most people just say to go to a party and get drunk and have fun. But I don't drink and I am not fond about being around drunks. Plus the ones I know at the parties have a habit of getting drunk and then talking about all the people they have slept with. Something I don't have any interest in hearing about. But they won't notice. They will tell me I looked like I had a real fun time at the party. They don't even remember I spent it outside to avoid the conversation.
I guess it's good that I like to shock people. Nothing is more fun than talking to a very outgoing social person and telling them what it's like to be alone. They freak out.

But at least the birds in my backyard continue to come back to see me each day. OK, technically they come back for the bird food but I'll keep telling myself they are actually wanting to talk to me. *laughs*

Oh yeah, we now have Christmas and New Hells Day coming up soon. I hate these 2 holidays. And they happen within 7 days of each other. As the song goes, it's the most horrible time of the year.

I know I am preaching to the choir by posting on here but I was just bored and alone right now and decided to post.
Luckily I was off work today and didn't have to hear from 2 different people in my group whose wives just had babies last week.

I guess in the end, everyone can say I just need to get out there and meet people and I will have friends. But to meet people you have to know where the people are hiding. And then if you find people, you have to find people you fit in with. And since the people I fit in with are either already married, don't exist, or are too shy to leave their house; the odds are low of finding those people. *laughs*

-- "It used to not be as bad. Me, myself, and I all lived together. But unfortunately me and myself moved out and I was left all alone." -- -me

Hey, welcome Blackdot.
so, what do you like doing? hobbies? interests?

hope you're having a good day today.

I don't really have hobbies. I enjoy community service work in my free time as a way to get myself out of the house and to help other people who have things worse than I do.

Answering what I like to do is hard to say since I never feel like doing things when I don't have anyone to do things with.

Luckily today at work was busy so I didn't have to worry about listening to what everyone was talking about.

Hey!

I definitely relate to your situation and how you are feeling. It's like we're secretly lonely, people just assume you are happy. When I'm with others people also say I'm fun to be with/entertaining etc. But still people don't invite me places, people very rarely contact me.

I feel so sad looking at my facebook. I have few friends (about 70).. but no one ever initiates a conversation, no one ever writes on my wall.

It felt amazing on my birthday, because everyone acted like they actually cared. I felt the most included in a long while. People actually sent me txts and messages and asked me how I was.

Like you, I also feel that those will only care when I'm actually gone.

I might be in the same situation as you are. I generally come over as a positive/sociable guy (thats what my boss told me once) but in reality I'm just a wearing a mask. Inside I'm cynical and negative. Everytime I go for a walk and see a group of people (couple or friends) I get very sad and even shed a tear.

I know a few people but I don't consider them friends. We never talk or do anything besides school related stuff. I used to be a member of a few clubs, student organizations but all that failed as I never felt needed/part of them. I also tried doing tutoring and assistant teacher programs at school but I quit all those after a year of wasting my time trying to help people who don't appreciate it.

I'm turning my attention to online websites now (like this one). I'm a member on several tech/programming forums, yet every day I feel like deleting my account as nobody seems to appreciate my posts/help/advice. I was told I should join dating/penpal sites or make a facebook account, But I think they are hopeless, I don't need a contact list with 100 people that don't even know me or talk to me.

I can't really give you any advice on how to feel better as I still haven't found the answer for myself. Sometimes I just want to say fresia it and be a hermit but every time I think about it my chest hurts. So stay strong I guess.

Welcome to the forum, blackdot. I'm fairly new to this forum as well, and I find that it helps to some extent. If anything, it gives me the sense that I'm not alone in this. There are many lonely people out there.
I, like you, have many acquaintances in my life, but I couldn't count on one hand the 'close friends' I have. Hell, my own children (one in his late 20's, the other in his early 30"s) don't even call me much. I talk to my parents almost every day on the tele - mostly just so they know that I'm thinking of them, and concerned for their well being. It would be nice if my boys would phone me once every week or two, but it seems that the only time I hear from them is when there's a problem of sorts. My brother has been phoning me a little more often, however, and I'm happy about that.
If you are like myself, there are times that it doesn't bother me as much to be by myself, but there are times when the feelings of loneliness are stronger, and that, my friend, is when the depression can be at it's maximum. I've been dealing with it as best I can, and I do have to consider that I may be by myself for the duration of my life, now that I am in my 50's. Acceptance of this probability is not the easiest thing, and there is the possibility that it won't be the case. There is some hope, but I think it best not to kid myself about it. It just could be my fate.
Anyway (sigh), I do wish you a smooth sailing through the holiday time. I know that it's not easy during the Christmas season, and the cold winter months can be tough as well.

mountainorc:

When I found online stuff in college in the early 90's, it was so wonderful. I finally found a place where I could find people to talk to who were like me. Anti-social computer people. *laughs*
I could spend hours each day talking to random people around the world. I even would occasionally travel to big get togethers of the people on the large message board so I could see people in person.

Unfortunately now days, people turned to cell phones and then to texting. Online friends vanished and I sort of hop from one place to the next trying to find people who have a clue. I am on one big online message board that is sports related but most of the people on there refuse to talk to me as they think I am weird and depressing. I am weird but not depressing but you can't argue with idiots. *laughs*

I don't do Facebook. I tried Myspace and that was a nightmare of a site. Really horrible set up. Like you, I don't see the point in have a big list of people as "friends" who I never talk to.

I used to have no problems with being a hermit. In college, when i was a freshman, there was a senior who nicknamed me hermie cause I was always secluded from other people. Luckily it was a name in fun and not as a bad joke. He was cool and had no problems with me hanging out with him in the cafe. It did lead to a strange meal once though. He was on the baseball team and was dating one of the cheerleaders. One day in the cafe I sat down with him and his gf and suddenly all the girls from the cheerleading squad sat down at the table beside me. I kept trying to figure out if I was asleep and having a bad nightmare. HA HA HA!

But yeah, the idea of giving up on life and being a hermit again sucks. Just twiddling my thumbs waiting to die one day seems too boring for me. Unfortunately I don't know the secret out of it.

gnome3:

Yeah. I know what you mean. Sometimes it doesn't bother me to be alone. I can do whatever it is I want to do. But other times it is horrible. I can't listen to the radio since most songs are love songs in some fashion. I have problems with tv shows as most commercials are about people being in love. TV shows too can be iffy. I can be sitting there watching my favorite show and suddenly they will say something or I will see something and I will curl up in a ball crying. Comedies are the worst.

I have found the best time to go for a walk is at about 1-2AM. No one else is out walking that late at night.

I go out on nightly walks aswell. Nobody to be found outside at midnight and when the weather is nice you can stay outside for hours. I don't watch TV or the radio anymore but I like reading love stories (especially ones with a good endings), they kind of give me hope.. for a few hours.

I feel like I will never get out of this crappy cycle. Always trying to have hope yet always being beat down.

2 things recently have sent me back to loneliness.
1.) Not as big and more just pisses me off. I have been talking to a female on a dating site for over a month. She has been very chatty which I love. I kept trying to meet her but she always would find reasons not to even though she wanted to. She gave me her phone number but as usual when women give me their phone number, they refuse to answer the phone. Anyways, she used the word "busy" in a sentence. What does that mean? Means I'll never hear from her again. *laughs* It seems to be the magic word among dating site females for "I found someone else to talk to". I'm finding women think of dating websites as something similar to trying out a car or looking at houses. Every time they find one that is perfect, they continue "shopping" for another one cause there has to be one better than perfect. They don't seem to realize there is someone on the other end of the conversation. But as usual, she quit writing and I can tell from her login habits she has found someone else to talk to.

2.) This one is the one that has me so messed up though. The person I mentioned in the original post as being the only person I have ever "dated" sort of popped back up. I haven't spoken to her in over a year. Well a couple of weekends ago I was at home as usual. The phone rang. I looked at the Caller ID and it was her mom. That's very strange since I only met her parents twice. Never on the phone. Yet over a year after she pushed me away due to her BiPolar issue, her parents are calling me. Anyways. The phone rang once and I stared at the caller ID. The phone rang twice. I was unsure what to do. The phone rang a third time and I picked up. It was her mom. Her mom began asking me questions about when I found out about mer daughter's issue. Things about how physical we were when we were dating. Things about how we broke up. All kinds of strange things. I knew her parents knew nothing about her issue. So this was odd. I answered everything honestly. When I mentioned she broke up with me, her mom said she had been told that I broke up with her but they found out later in her e-mails that she did the breaking up. Told her her daughter was never physical. We tried to kiss a few times but couldn't figure that out. I could tell that disappointed her mom. Well finally her mom stops and says I most likely already know the news. i told her I haven't heard anything in over a year.
Her mom then tells me that back in Feb, her daughter killed herself. I was just stunned. The only person that has ever showed any type of interest in me is gone. I understand why she did it but I just wasn't expecting it.
It made it rougher when her mom told me that with the suicide note were things that her daughter held important in her life. One of the things was something I had made for her after a trip we had taken together.
Now I just feel completely alone... again.

hmmm.. someone new contacted me wanting to talk.
I noticed she said in her profile that she is "busy".
This is going to be weird. Busy before even talking. I wonder if the "busy" virus has the same effect or if it's even worse that way.

blackdot said:
hmmm.. someone new contacted me wanting to talk.
I noticed she said in her profile that she is "busy".
This is going to be weird. Busy before even talking. I wonder if the "busy" virus has the same effect or if it's even worse that way.

don't have such a negative attitude. At least they got in contact and wanted to talk to you.

gajputns said:
Hey!

I definitely relate to your situation and how you are feeling. It's like we're secretly lonely, people just assume you are happy. When I'm with others people also say I'm fun to be with/entertaining etc. But still people don't invite me places, people very rarely contact me.

I feel so sad looking at my facebook. I have few friends (about 70).. but no one ever initiates a conversation, no one ever writes on my wall.

It felt amazing on my birthday, because everyone acted like they actually cared. I felt the most included in a long while. People actually sent me txts and messages and asked me how I was.

+1

I deleted fb coz everybody was unsociable & fake (a whole 250 of them), they would wish a happy birthday... if it was written on their page but once I hid my birthday a grand total of 0 birthday wishes!

OP, I hope things work out better for you!

blackdot said:
I don't have a negative attitude though. I have a factual attitude. :)

don't have a factual attiude then :)

dannyr22 said:
gajputns said:
Hey!

+1

I deleted fb coz everybody was unsociable & fake (a whole 250 of them), they would wish a happy birthday... if it was written on their page but once I hid my birthday a grand total of 0 birthday wishes!

OP, I hope things work out better for you!

nobody remembers my birthday either. Apart from my Mam. My dad usually remembers the month and has to ask me what day it is. I will probably like you, get birthday wishes on facebook. It doesn't bother me though.

Blackdot,

I have to say that I am sorry for your loss regarding your friend & the woman you loved. I can't imagine how horrible that must've been for you. In fact it made me cry to read that post and I don't cry reading posts often.

I know i am late to this thread but I want to say that if you ever want to talk about it on ALL, please. don't hesitate to do so.

-Soph

SophiaGrace said:
Blackdot,

I have to say that I am sorry for your loss regarding your friend & the woman you loved. I can't imagine how horrible that must've been for you. In fact it made me cry to read that post and I don't cry reading posts often.

Thanks for the message. It was a terrible loss. Both when she left me and also when I found out she left everyone else too.

There is an old 80's song that pops in my head every time I hear or see something that reminds me of her.
"There's always something there to remind me."
That song just pops in my head. Unfortunately I find it pops up a lot every day because so much reminds me of her.

blackdot said:
SophiaGrace said:
Blackdot,

Thanks for the message. It was a terrible loss. Both when she left me and also when I found out she left everyone else too.

There is an old 80's song that pops in my head every time I hear or see something that reminds me of her.
"There's always something there to remind me."
That song just pops in my head. Unfortunately I find it pops up a lot every day because so much reminds me of her.

I don't know if this is a bad thing to say...but...

I guess in a way she didn't leave you personally, but everyone.

You know?

Yeah. I know. Her parents took it the hardest because unlike me, they didn't know about her issue.
It's hard looking back and trying to tell if I was the issue in the relationship or if it was her. I remember asking her that question and she told me it was a mix of things but couldn't tell me what it was.
She did tell me that she didn't like that I would keep her "grounded" because she was always into changing things all the time and I couldn't handle change. She wouldn't listen to me when i told her that she needs someone to keep her somewhat grounded so that she wasn't always stressed out.
Her mom told me that stress was something that looks to have caused her to finally end things.
So I feel bad that I didn't punish myself into staying her friend just so I could try to keep her feeling better. Even though in the end I know even I wouldn't have been able to stop her from doing what she did.

Latest posts

Back