How can an idiot like me build a website?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cumulus.james

Reaction score
I have an idea for a comedy blog fake news report website thingy i would like to do by I am not very good at that stuff. Back in the day i managed a bit of HTML for my MySpace page but basic code was very hard for me - I cant even get you-tube videos to embed on these posts!

I am aware there is a book called building websites for dummies but have you seen the size of it! I cant be doing with all that.

I tried to use web template software years ago but it was really cheap looking and all boxy. Does anyone know of a software or site or something that could help someone as daft as me build a professional glossy website?

If you want to start a blog you can use blogspot, wordpress (free blogs with plenty of options) or you can try the google site building tool (very easy and still pretty slick). For forums you can try looking in to phpbb (easy install forum but you need your own server/host that runs PHP5 and MySQL)

cumulus.james said:
I have an idea for a comedy blog fake news report website thingy i would like to do by I am not very good at that stuff. Back in the day i managed a bit of HTML for my MySpace page but basic code was very hard for me - I cant even get you-tube videos to embed on these posts!

I am aware there is a book called building websites for dummies but have you seen the size of it! I cant be doing with all that.

I tried to use web template software years ago but it was really cheap looking and all boxy. Does anyone know of a software or site or something that could help someone as daft as me build a professional glossy website?

also if you know html-you will have it made !
Yup, what he said :)
Good luck, let us know so we can have a looksie.:)

mountainorc said:
If you want to start a blog you can use blogspot, wordpress (free blogs with plenty of options) or you can try the google site building tool (very easy and still pretty slick). For forums you can try looking in to phpbb (easy install forum but you need your own server/host that runs PHP5 and MySQL)

Don't understand none of them letters. I wanted to make more a general website with features than just a blog (I'm too lazy to write honeysuckle EVERY day or week)

Nolife Princess said:
cumulus.james said:

I dont know any HTML - if I remember right I found some commands and was copying and pasting them. Found it bloody hard just figuring that out!

Hi,
They do have easy easy site builerds out, click and drag type thing, so easy! do a google search, check some of them out, and pick the one you like.

Also- what I do in my wedsite is type out all that I am about to post in notepad- then just copy and paste.
(And if you are like me-run it through spell check before posting!)

*Big Grin*

I've tried different site builders, sadly some easy to use ones are now gone. :( Geocities used to be great, I used it for years, and it was free. Then it closed down because Yahoo wanted to start making money off people with irritating over priced site builders. I took over a site that uses Simple Machine, it isn't free but it's not overly priced either and their forums have a lot of support. You will need to learn some HTML if you want to start customizing your site, or you can just stick with the standard templates.

cumulus.james said:
mountainorc said:

Don't understand none of them letters. I wanted to make more a general website with features than just a blog (I'm too lazy to write honeysuckle EVERY day or week)

Nolife Princess said:
cumulus.james said:

I dont know any HTML - if I remember right I found some commands and was copying and pasting them. Found it bloody hard just figuring that out!

If you just go to googlesites or blogspot you can make a free site/blog there. No need to post daily/weekly (you decide what and how you post) also you don't need to understand HTML or anything technical.

Wordpress is ideal for blogs. You can have a free blog over there hosted for you.

http://wordpress.org/

Should be more than ideal for what you're doing.

If you want a more customized site you'll have to find a webhost with PHP 5.x / Mysql support. Although you'll most definitely need someone with experience helping you put it up.

Find a domain name and some hosting. Make a Wordpress blog. Hire a good designer. It will probably cost a few thousand dollars but it will be worth it if you actually plan on taking the website seriously. From then, you can either learn the programming yourself or have the designer set you up with someone who can program their design.

You can try to design the website on your own but unless you have a lot of time to learn about design then I would say just hire a pro.

I don't want to poo poo on Wordpress, but a site I'm involved with uses that, and man in the past few years Wordpress users have been hacked like crazy. It's okay as programs go once you get use to it though.

I think the reasons they get hacked easily is because a lot of the third party add-ons and plugins/scripts aren't very secure.

kamya said:
Find a domain name and some hosting. Make a Wordpress blog. Hire a good designer. It will probably cost a few thousand dollars but it will be worth it if you actually plan on taking the website seriously. From then, you can either learn the programming yourself or have the designer set you up with someone who can program their design.

You can try to design the website on your own but unless you have a lot of time to learn about design then I would say just hire a pro.

Few thousands of dollars sounds slightly exaggerated unless you're going for a very personalized site. I've put up similar sites for a couple of hundred(granted I'm no pro but I know my way around), for most of the average site's functionality demands out there, you've got PHP code ready available. I'd do it for free if I wasn't busy with other stuff already and didn't have to worry about maintaining the site once its up.

wuts wrong with sumthng free like tripod?
can use its scant templ8/write the code urself
sounds like sumthng like that would b more than enuff 4 wut u want 2 do

That's why.

kamya said:

That's why.
hence y i said OR u could put in ur own code
:rolleyes:

by reading Idiot's Guide to Building Websites...

and if you constantly call yourself an idiot then your blog wont be successful anyway. You have to either start with positive thinking process or leave it

and if ur too lazy..then hire someone to do it for you :)

I AM NOT MAKING A BLOG! I SAID COMEDY BLOG TYPE THING!!!!

Incognita said:
by reading Idiot's Guide to Building Websites...

and if you constantly call yourself an idiot then your blog wont be successful anyway. You have to either start with positive thinking process or leave it

and if ur too lazy..then hire someone to do it for you :)

I was being flippant when i said idiot. But I cant read or learn from a book like that I as I have an anxiety disorder and cognitive deficit brought on by a prescription drug I used to take so I can not concentrate or focus like normal people. That's why I dont get the book. But I am informed that a project like this would help rebuild my cognition by doing little bits of things here and there. That 4 inch thick book and sitting for hours writing code is just way too much for my mind to handle.

I dont hire someone because its not going to be a commercial site and I dont have any money to throw away on a hobby.

hhhmmm....for someone so terribly unfocused and sick...you sure put your sentences and THOUGHTS well and in order...I am 100% sure you can do it.

Incognita said:
hhhmmm....for someone so terribly unfocused and sick...you sure put your sentences and THOUGHTS well and in order...I am 100% sure you can do it.

These posts on here take a lot of effort - my brain literally feels like its burning. I have been learning to drive this year but though I am going great with the practical lessons over here we have to do a theory test and I cant do it I can not focus to learn that s***.

I was not always like this. Its the pills wot done it.

i would really check in2 sum websites that maybe teach u a lil bit of html @ a time?
then play around on sumwhere like tripod
its free n u dnt HAVE 2 use the templ8
u could just cover sumthng like 1 small topic/week
n practice n practice it by playng around w/it on there
all free
n all @ ur own pace n style

Latest posts

Back