Poll! Please vote!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should guests be allowed to place threads?

• Yes

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Princess Cleocatra

Hello all,

Due to the recent troll invasion we've been experiencing, bluey and I thought it might be a good idea to put it to vote whether or not we are all for allowing guests to even post in the 'I am lonely' and 'Feedback and news' categories.

Please let us know what you think.

Thanks!!

Cleo and bluey

I'd hate to think that we'd be stopping genuine people from posting in this forum, is there a way that the posts could be monitored for approval first?

Hi Red,

That is an option, and if everyone thinks that would be ok, then we can do that. But we're trying to also keep things friendly and easy here, and with that latest bombardment of trolls, we're just trying to find out how people here feel about guests posting in general. :)

Voted no

Some people might lose on it, but if you want to post on this site you might as well become a member. Of course, the trolls can do that as well, but I'm sure a lot of them wont bother

I voted yes. All the I do agree that in most forums you have to be registered be for you vote I myself do like to post as a guest fist just to test the water as it where. I myself did just that hear be for I registered. I think by not letting guests post we would be stopping some from participating in this place. See this is not a normal forum as in a lot hear I think would not wont to register cos they think by just posting as a guest they remain moor Private about who they are. This makes no difference but not everyone is aware of this. Even if your a member you don't have to give details out about yourself.

With saying all that we have had a big problems with guests that just come hear to spam. And in my view we most look after the members that we already have. All in all I think feed back should be made for members only but keep the one forum that we have already now open for guests. This when working properly dose work very well. I think if it was made easier for us mods to bane a guest that is just our for spamming then I don't see that there would be a problem in less we got one that could hide/scramble hes IP. Which is quiet essay for a lot of ppl to do.

So I like the idea of having somewhere where gusts can post and hopefully then become a member. But all that spamming we where getting also has to have been putting some gusts off from posting any way. And has anyone actually seen a genuine guest post in the last fer weeks with all that spam. I would say the genuine ones are not getting fro at the moment any way.

Anyway there's my two cents and I hope every one hear well have a say

The lastest 'troll' is just a single, very determined person.

I voted 'no' because I don't see any other way it can be stopped.

If someone wants to post, I don't see what's wrong with them making an account, even if they just use it the one time and never again. I mean, they'll still be anonymous.

I also think having moderators verify the contents before something is posted could be a good idea, depending on how quickly this can be done and how many posts they'll have to sift through.

Thank you for the work you've done so far. :)

Oh D-D It would be imposable for us to read every post as it comes in. You would need a lot moor mods and for at least I would say two to be on all the time. As it is we do miss a lot of stuff, Of course we do, where only human. That's where the report function comes in. A vere useful tool for us indeed.

The moor Pacific problem that we was having with this particular troll is he was being personal against certain members hear. This was getting to moor then a few as me and Queen Cleocatra have had PM's from moor then a few members that was being affected by this. If it was just spam we would have probably just keeped cleaning it up. But it was someone trying to genuinely upset ppl which was starting to work and is just not on and something had and has to be done about it.

Sorry Bluey, I meant to say Guest posts. Even then I suppose there'd still be a lot of them...

Also I would just like to add if where keeping it so we can let guests post then I think it would be a good idea that it be made that they have to what 60 seconds between each post.

The other reason I think its a good idea to let guests post also is that if a member wants some advice on something but wishes to do it anonymously from all the Friends he/she has made hear then that can be done as posting as a guest. course that person could just make a second account as well.

Also it dose look like am the only one that voted to keep the guests up to yet witch is weird sense am one of the mods that have spent hours cleaning there mess up :( I must be mad :)

But I hope that what ever everyone decides that is what we go along with. I also hope moor ppl vote. Every member hear should have a say.

Okay i voted yes.
Although i don't wish to see the forum and the members on here being attacked by Guest/trolls/spammers, i think we can't entirely ban ALL the Guests. If there are ways to curb the spamming, then i think we should go to all measures to ensure that it is limited/taken care of while at the same time other Guests can post on threads here.

Sorry but i've got no extra ideas on how to go about doing this lol.
But if Guest posting is to be disallowed forever, then perhaps there could be one special forum for Guests to post in? But then that particular forum would have to have some extra security..a spam detector system or something like that. *shrugs* lol i really don't know much about these internet security stuffs :D
Or things can go back to the way they were..but i don't think many would like this..

But i voted yes.

It's nice to let people express their opinion anonymously. If spamming is a problem, then we need more (active) mods.

I voted no because if people really wanted to post here they would take the 5 seconds to register, that way they get to post. If a troll registered he would be easy to pick out and get rid of.

how is a registered troll easier to get rid of than a non-registered?

trying to understand...
can't a troll simply register then post the same amount of rudeness under the name MR.lonely..
even if guest can't post.. how does this decrease trolls. I mean you'll said the troll was very determined.. it's a free site to join. Even if you disabled his/her account because they trolled...couldnt they just start a new one.

I guess what i'm asking is how is it easier to stop a member from trolling than it is to stop a guest?
(sry if this is a dumb question with an obvious answer)

No its not a dumb question, Queen Cleocatra is able to bane a member but not guests for some reason. I think that's because the only way to bane a guest is fro an IP address. She has deleted lots of accounts that troll has made.

The only person that can bane guests is bjarne him self as he knows a lot moor about this stuff then myself are Queen Cleocatra but unfortunately he is not always able to be on line. That is after all why he has moderators.

I voted no. I have been on this forum for quite a while now and I see the troll guests attacking and flaming as an ongoing problem which should be stopped. Ever since I have been a member the troll guests have been here and some members couldn't cope with the abuse hurled at them and have left the forum.
This is a support forum for lonely people and some of them are quite sensitive and fragile, they seek advice, friendship and support, so I think that they shouldn't be subject to any abuse at all.
This forum has changed alot since the two new moderators were first appointed. I remember the flaming and swearing that used to go on between the members and even the first couple of moderators, if you have been a member for a while you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.
I know that banning all the guests from posting doesn't seem fair but, if they are that lonely they will probably work up the courage to become a member anyway because they won't have the choice of posting as a guest.
We have had the unregistered guest section for a long time, it's been tried, it hasn't worked, so now it's time for another change for the better.

Wait I'm confuse, I don't know if to vote NO or YES because some people NO is the same as some people YES. I didn't even know there was a troll invasion? Anyway I want the guest forum to stay put. You can argue sure they could sign up one time and never post again but that not the point. The point is registering take a while and then you have to wait for that stupid email, and in some site, you have to wait 24 hours before you can even get the chance to post.

So I want the GUEST threads to stay.

This is a very old thread Chris. We've dealt with security a long time ago.

Robin said:

Oh! Now I feel just plain silly, guess I must really be bore then:D

Chris 2 said:
Robin said:

Oh! Now I feel just plain silly, guess I must really be bore then:D

The font of the dates at the bottom of each post is awfully small, don't You agree? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back