Going back in time to the teenage years...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lonely in BC

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to A Lonely Life and have found surfing through the various posts to be interesting and thought provoking. Many of the members are describing their day to day life giving us a bit of insight into who they are.

Mouse and a couple of the other teens inspired this- its been kind of pleasant to think back to happier more care free days......

Hopefully some of the other contributers to this site will chime in and give some feedback as well. I've noticed a wide variety of people from different countries (continents for that matter) posting so it might be kind of interesting to learn about others backgrounds and experiences.

Here I go,

Back in 1984 when I was a 17 year old I had just bought a neat little 1973 Ford Capri (the German model) and was working at the local Coca-Cola bottling plant at nights. This had a major contribution to my skipping a lot of school (which I loathed anyhow) during the day. The spending power I had back then was insane, waaay more than today's dollar stretches. Quiet Riot was telling me to "Cum on feel the noise" and the ZZ Top video "Legs" had me panting. Speaking of videos, MTV was still pretty new to the scene, computers were in their infancy (remember the first Apple desktop?" and the "city" of about 70,000 I lived near didn't have a single ATM machine. It was pretty easy to sneak into the local bars (they seldom checked I.D.) and you didn't have to worry about GHB or anyone packing a weapon. The winter was harsh, usually a couple of months of -25 C and the summers were +30 C. Seemed like it was always windy as well.

It was a pretty carefree time for a boy living on the Canadian prairies (Alberta). I honestly didn't have a clue- very, very innocent (with the exception of an abusive father that I had put into his place when I grew up over the previous summer- 6' and 215 lbs- I was fit) and having a great time.

Anyone got a time machine handy?

Lonely in BC said:
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to A Lonely Life and have found surfing through the various posts to be interesting and thought provoking. Many of the members are describing their day to day life giving us a bit of insight into who they are.

Mouse and a couple of the other teens inspired this- its been kind of pleasant to think back to happier more care free days......

Hopefully some of the other contributers to this site will chime in and give some feedback as well. I've noticed a wide variety of people from different countries (continents for that matter) posting so it might be kind of interesting to learn about others backgrounds and experiences.

Here I go,

Back in 1984 when I was a 17 year old I had just bought a neat little 1973 Ford Capri (the German model) and was working at the local Coca-Cola bottling plant at nights. This had a major contribution to my skipping a lot of school (which I loathed anyhow) during the day. The spending power I had back then was insane, waaay more than today's dollar stretches. Quiet Riot was telling me to "Cum on feel the noise" and the ZZ Top video "Legs" had me panting. Speaking of videos, MTV was still pretty new to the scene, computers were in their infancy (remember the first Apple desktop?" and the "city" of about 70,000 I lived near didn't have a single ATM machine. It was pretty easy to sneak into the local bars (they seldom checked I.D.) and you didn't have to worry about GHB or anyone packing a weapon. The winter was harsh, usually a couple of months of -25 C and the summers were +30 C. Seemed like it was always windy as well.

It was a pretty carefree time for a boy living on the Canadian prairies (Alberta). I honestly didn't have a clue- very, very innocent (with the exception of an abusive father that I had put into his place when I grew up over the previous summer- 6' and 215 lbs- I was fit) and having a great time.

Hi Lonely in BC, I'm LoneKiller. It's nice to meet you.:)

gr8 reminiscent post
i wouldnt want 2 go back 2 my teens tho
in fact?
that would probably worry othrs more than me
LoL

Nah, nothing really positive to speak of in my teenage years. Whiny little prat of a fail, I was, complete with ridiculous notions. I grew up, thank God, and put aside childish thoughts and hopes.

Good one Bread. You have a mad scientist, a hover board and a car full of manure to go with that by chance?

Lonely in BC said:
Good one Bread. You have a mad scientist, a hover board and a car full of manure to go with that by chance?

Well, I'm short two cars, the scientist and any hoverboards. Plenty of the rest, m'afraid. :)

Lonely in BC said:

No, but I wish. Would love to have gone back in time to your safe days, to walk the streets without a worry in the world, to sneak into a bar and order and G&T or a beer; and dance the night away and come home feeling I rule the world. Except for your father, the complete opposite to how mine was as you already know.

You learnt how to survive. Not only the bitter harsh winters and the heat of a summer's day, but to shut in yourself against your father's nastiness.

How I wish I could reverse time. To stand between Dad and Martin holding their hands, looking up in awe and wonder at our brightly lit Christmas tree, and singing carols. Now, in the silence of this grey wintery morning I sit alone bereft of the only one I ever loved and missing my brother because he's at work. Outside, a seagull's plaintive mournful cry brings back echoes of a time long past gone of tears and of feelings one would rather not to have had. Except we have, you and I, an understanding that we will never treat children the way we were treated: yours by a heartless father, mine by a screeching mother bent on breaking me. And that machine could take us back to those happier times of your growing up in the Canadian prairies on whose land I'd have dearly loved to have walked.

Hold onto those carefree times, my friend. As surely as this soon to be seventeen year old holds onto hers.

mousebeachsmaller.jpg

Love, Anna Mouse

Sounds great, BC. I'm sure growing up in the 80s was an awesome experience. How was working at the Coca-Cola plant like?

Thank you for sharing those memories with us brother, I know exactly how you feel, sometimes escaping into the past through our memories can make us question the direction we are heading in now. Sometimes it can be painful but sometimes I can help too. It’s very much a double edged sword.

My own teenage years were quite dull growing up in a small Welsh coastal town. Things perked up when I joined the International Red Cross at 18 and went to work in South America. At 22 I was working private security in the Middle-East, while peers back home were getting drunk and chasing girls I was patrolling oil plants in body armour with a rifle slung over my shoulder, talk about a wake-up call. At 24 I moved to Japan, got myself a job working as a foreign journalist and part time counsellor, I had a nice apartment in Tokyo complete with stunning views of the city where I would spend my nights sitting out on the balcony with a cold beer in hand. My life was perfect for the following six years.

Now I’m back in the dull Welsh coastal town, stuck in a dead end office job, feeling washed up and defeated. If you find that time machine then I’m next in line. :D

DreamerDeceiver,

Growing up in the 80's was cool. The Coke plant was a brutal job- stacking those old heavy wooden crates with glass bottles was mind numbing but sure an awesome workout. The equipment we used was ancient and constantly needed tweaking. The boss was a guy brought in from China who was a slave driver but we got along well and he always knew he could call me in on short notice to work.

LostDrifter,

You indicated feeling "washed up and wasted"- kind of nailed it on the head there for me. My current position is a job I took to stay close to home but the way it sucks the life out of me isn't worth it. I suspect I'll be moving along right after the holiday season to get back to feeling creative and good about what I do.

Mouse is attempting to procure a time machine for us- getting a bit impatient waiting though!

I'm currently living them.

My beginning years were honeysuckle, things are starting to turn around now.

Sounds like your teens were pretty **** good, with the exception of the abusive father of course :)

Mine were crap unfortunately. I was overweight. Nothing but non-stop bullying, having to fight people, people putting me down. A feeling of profound loneliness hit me from 17 onwards and that was about it really. I don't think I have a single good memory from my teenage years, depressing as it is.

No good times with friends, no cars or bikes, no parties (didn't go to any!), no exciting fumbles with beautiful sweethearts. Just rubbish!

I actually sort of long for time to have been as it was back when you described things. The world seems to have lost that kind of innocence now, the world rams adult things down your throat before you are perhaps ready for them.

Anyway, I'm trying to improve for my 20's so that I don't feel the same about them when I look back :)

TheSolitaryMan said:
Mine were crap unfortunately. I was overweight. Nothing but non-stop bullying, having to fight people, people putting me down. A feeling of profound loneliness hit me from 17 onwards and that was about it really. I don't think I have a single good memory from my teenage years, depressing as it is.

Hear hear! Similar with me. :)

Except I was 13-14 when it hit and I still have a chance of "saving" my teenage years.

Ak5 said:
TheSolitaryMan said:

Hear hear! Similar with me. :)

Except I was 13-14 when it hit and I still have a chance of "saving" my teenage years.

Hi guys,

Interestingly enough I was the short fat kid who got picked on at school, etc. I can clearly recall running my short legged little ass home at last bell as I was terrified that the bullies I grew up with would get their hands on me and make me cry like a baby.

Then came the 1st summer at the Coke plant. I leaned down, built some muscle (testosterone, how I miss your excess in the teen years) and when I returned to school no one recognized me. I didn't end up becoming the popular guy as depicted in so many two hour teen movies but no one really messed with me either. That was around the time I had a go at the old man as well- I was extremely lucky that year.

I despise bullies. God (or your deity of choice) help the person who is dumb enough to try that crap with my daughter.

Yeah, my New Year's Resolution for 2011 was to lose weight and start building muscle. Thankfully I lost it all and during this year's summer I started doing strength training.

I find myself in a completely different situation from where I was last year. Show me a bully and I'll deck him!

I'd go back to my teenage years in order to change them as I completely wrecked my own social life without even knowing that I was doing it and despit knowng what I did wrong I am still feeling the inertia as it's much harder to meet people now. In fact if I had a time machine I'd be tempted to go back and punch my older self.

TheSolitaryMan said:
Sounds like your teens were pretty **** good, with the exception of the abusive father of course :)

No good times with friends, no cars or bikes, no parties (didn't go to any!), no exciting fumbles with beautiful sweethearts. Just rubbish!

I actually sort of long for time to have been as it was back when you described things. The world seems to have lost that kind of innocence now, the world rams adult things down your throat before you are perhaps ready for them.

Anyway, I'm trying to improve for my 20's so that I don't feel the same about them when I look back :)

If you're a student at the moment then I say you should really go all out when trying to improve your social life.
I allowed myself to think that my studies meant that It wasn't very imortant to put more thought and effort into my social life even though I wasn't spending all my time studying. lesson I accepted the status quo and just hoped that things would somehow improve later on but it only got harder.

Latest posts

Back