I Can't Stand to See Myself Happy!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MORBIDNITRO

Reaction score
I cannot stand to see myself happy at all! I do not know if it is because of my childhood or the people around me or what! When I laugh or smile at someone I feel like a witless slut and I can't stand it! I feel like if I tell people about my happiness, I feel like I rub it in their faces while I tell them! I view most happiness as stupidity and I do not know why I do this! I hate that about me so much! I have never opened up about it before until now. Please, how can I change myself before it is too late?

MORBIDNITRO said:
I cannot stand to see myself happy at all! I do not know if it is because of my childhood or the people around me or what! When I laugh or smile at someone I feel like a witless slut and I can't stand it! I feel like if I tell people about my happiness, I feel like I rub it in their faces while I tell them! I view most happiness as stupidity and I do not know why I do this! I hate that about me so much! I have never opened up about it before until now. Please, how can I change myself before it is too late?

Why do you feel like you rub your happiness in other peoples faces? As long as your not boasting or showing off I don't think they would take it that way.

Also are you scared that if your happy or things are going to well then its inevitable that things will get worse or go terribly wrong? That's how I use to feel when I very depressed.. Whenever anything good happened in my life I would shut it out because I was afraid it wouldn't last.

Or are you feeling down or depressed and that's the reason for your unhappiness? Any extra or specific information would be great. Or anything else you want to talk about or let out is okay too.

That's an interesting quote LD. ^
Been true about me for quite a while. It's never really happiness most people sabotage though. Rather a true fear about something negative. Which is often hidden under apparent perfect happiness. If your subconscious can't seem to *get over it*, there's always a little something - and sometimes it's NOT little. It can be difficult to find out what it is, though. When you're happy, any negative things about your source of happiness tend to get masked from you, by your own mind.

For example, in my last significant relationship, we had an intense passion, true love, a lot of trust, a solid emotional bond. Yet, when I felt he was starting to want to marry me, I had this subconscious panic. At that moment, I started letting bad things happen in the relationship, up to the breakup.

It may seem very sad, silly, self-destructive, against one's own romantic interests. I truly loved that guy. But a long time after the breakup I realized there has been one major bad point about him : financially. He spent *my* money, and even his own, very foolishly.

Prior to being with him, I had been a successful single mother for 13 years. I have always had a very healthy relationship with money, but during these 13 years it's been a tough struggle to never lack anything and offer me and my eldest daughter a materially comfortable life, with even improvements over the years. Each of these improvements were hard-earned. I never had any financial help from anyone, all by myself, WITH the burden of offering a living to a child.

I poured rivers of tears for years after that breakup (he broke up) because I loved him so much. But it's my subconscious who *told* me to not go for it for the long term. At first it seemed to me like I destroyed what could have been my chance for a happy marriage, but ultimately I let that relationship sabotage itself because deep inside, I felt he would be a threat for my successful 13 years of hard efforts.

My life got broken down anyway, as the breakup brought its own trail of catastrophes, financially and on other levels. And after I told him about what I realized, he realigned his way of managing his money and is better now, so he had this potential. So there could have been a better way to deal with this problem than what I did rather than let my subconscious panic me and blindly let it do what it pushed me to do. But there was a true reason, a genuine worry behind it.

MorbidNitro, your problem seems different, but a lot of people worry that they sabotage their own happiness. Sometimes it's a little more complicated than that. It's important to listen to our inner voice, and try to find out what's the red flag that is pushing us to sabotage what is otherwise a happy situation.

You might find it beneficial to talk to someone professional about this and try to get to the root of the problem?

I feel the same way, when ever i noticed myself smiling or having a good time, i tend to shun myself because i feel like if im happy i make bad decesions and in the end just destroy something. Im scared to be happy because it doesnt seem to make anything better except give people a false sense of well-being comming from you.

Latest posts

Back