Pet Peeves

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lonely in BC

I think about my hang ups from time to time, you know the ones- the little things that drive us a little loopy from time to time. I suspect that they've been contributing to my loss of connection with people lately.

Here's one I experienced today that drives me nuts- being the phone loser. It really irks me when I'm on a call to someone and they want to put you on hold because another call is coming in. I always let them know that if I'm put on hold I'll hang up. It's amazing how many people don't believe me- they'll call later and often are annoyed that I hung up on them. My response is what is so dam important about taking a call from someone else when you have voicemail?

Sure seems to be a lot less respect conversation wisewith the maturing of our communication capabilities- how ironic.

On the phone, I usually give people some time - around 5 minutes, depends on my patience - then hang up as well. It's not an automatic thing, but it's an anger-management technic, I prefer to tell the person "Sorry but you were busy with another call and I had to go", than to keep there waiting and see my frustration level raise at each second.

I do that in real life too. When someone is late, or meets me but makes me wait to do something else. I give them a certain time after which I consider they're too busy for me and consider my time "mine". I leave and will see them another day. As I honored my side of the deal and already wasted some of my precious freetime for them, it'll be up to them to explain the situation if they want quality time with me again later.

I don’t use the phone since watching Gremlins 2 but I share a similar peeve (I do like that word) when it comes to face-to-face talking. There seems to be a culture at my workplace that if two people are talking then its perfectly acceptable for a third person to interrupt and a new conversation develops where one of the original two speakers is expected to hold much like on a telephone.

I’ve walked out of meetings due to this, if its related to the conversation then I don’t mind so much but if not I count to twenty and leave, if someone isn’t going to respect my time then I’m not going to respect theirs.

My pet peeve is coming home physically tired and mentally frayed after a 12 -hour shift in a busy coffee bar, and just as I'm about to sit and eat, someone of a religious sect knocks on my door, asks me the state of the world and thrusts a copy of The Watchtower in my face. Thou shalt not do that and expect to walk away intact.

Or a telesales woman cold-calling me when I am trying so hard to write. For that is when I'm likely to enquire what colour knickers she likes, whether she's a deviant, or is she a back-door gal or some such dreadfully personal question designed never to call me again, screeching "Pervert!" before slamming the phone down on me. Works every time - guaranteed.

Interrupting a conversation going just for some other petty talk is a bit lame indeed, LD. Good point. I try to avoid doing that unless there's some truly important matter that requires attention.

For that is when I'm likely to enquire what colour knickers she likes, whether she's a deviant, or is she a back-door gal or some such dreadfully personal question designed never to call me again, screeching "Pervert!" before slamming the phone down on me. Works every time - guaranteed.
Lol, I'll have to try that.

I find the door and phone spectacularly easy to ignore at home.

Though it always used to bug me that if I was talking to my ex on his mobile and his home phone rang he would insist on answering it. Mostly because his lazy brother could have just got it. That said nothing was worse than when we'd be talking and his brother would shout what was he doing and his answer would be "nothing". Urgh if I had anything about me I'd have hung up, once at least.

I also hate when your with someone and yet they are constantly texting someone else. Reading and replying while your trying to hold a conversation. It drives me absolutely mad. You are so clearly saying you'd rather be somewhere else. With someone else.

Ah.

The correct way to deal with that is, "Oh, well I'll come back when you aren't busy texting." I've used that line a few times and it seems to work. As for the on hold thing? Unless it's really shot just hang up. They will call back if they care.

When people blast really terrible music. This is especially the case with auto-tune, gangster rap and teen pop. I cannot stand it, I cannot stand it, I cannot stand it!

Ak5 said:
People who repeat things over and over.

Especially while using words such as ....ummmmm...., ...like..., ....you know.... or any of the catchwords of the day more than 3-4 times in the brief 1 minute conversation you have with them.

Makes me want to utter many colorful metaphors!

I don't like when I'm put on speaker phone unless it's for a few minutes. I can hear myself talk and it makes me feel like they aren't really into the convo or something. I have felt guilty using speaker phone so I don't lol.

kamya said:
The correct way to deal with that is, "Oh, well I'll come back when you aren't busy texting." I've used that line a few times and it seems to work. As for the on hold thing? Unless it's really shot just hang up. They will call back if they care.
Pretty wise. May I add that it works even better if you're truly ready to go and have a next activity in mind. That way if they truly let you down and don't care if you go, at least you won't waste your whole evening for them.

know it all.
boastful bragger.
show off.
holier than thou.
big shot.
conceit.
people who take credit (for a job you did)
..... and I could go on with this!

Nolife Princess said:
know it all.
boastful bragger.
show off.
holier than thou.
big shot.
conceit.

did I inspire all this? :S

Arsenic Queen said:
Nolife Princess said:
know it all.
boastful bragger.
show off.
holier than thou.
big shot.
conceit.

did I inspire all this? :S

Nope, she knows my boss:D

I hate it when parents let children run around putting their hands on windows.

I hate it when parents allow their children to scream at the top of their lungs.

I hate it when kids allow their parents to run around acting like dumbasses;)

I will forever be indebted to Red Foreman (The 70's Show) for putting just the right amount of sarcasm into the word "dumbass".

Latest posts

Back