The forum's Kismet Banning System

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mouse

It is not and never will be a pleasant feeling being banned for no more than playing an innocuous forum game which is what happened to me this morning after I logged in. Kismet also previously banned me when I was posting an answer on someone's thread and including a Photobucket image link. In both cases, I burst into tears.

The only way to contact forum staff was my being able to access one of the Xat chat rooms I frequent and leaving a message. Otherwise I would probably still be permabanned off the system.

Would a forum Admin kindly adjust the Kismet auto-banning system to prevent this happening again?

I should like to take the opportunity of thanking Ignored One for contacting forum staff, and said staff for allowing me back in.

Thanking you,

Anna Mouse

hehe, i wouldnt take it to personal ;)
something had to be done about all the spam flying around here.

not working perfectly yet but better than it was.
i havent seen the support group in a while so things must be improving :)

no reason to cry though, maybe a formal introduction to the auto banning system would prevent it from happening again ;)
im sure he just needs to get to know you, he`s just as scared of you as you are of him :p

Unfortunately, the only person who can alter it, is the person who has access to it, which is the site's owner, Bjarne.
I did see you were banned this morning and lifted it.

blackdot said:
I guess the question is, what is the auto-banning system and how does it work?

im guessing a little asian dude in a basement somewhere..

oo **** i went to far didnt i..

Akismet is here because a few months ago we were over run by spammers. by overrun i mean every other thread was a spam thread. Akismet takes care of that for us. :)

SophiaGrace said:
Akismet is here because a few months ago we were over run by spammers. by overrun i mean every other thread was a spam thread. Akismet takes care of that for us. :)

Ok, it takes care of that for us.. but how do WE avoid it?

You don't. If it chooses you, it chooses you. We've yet to figure out it's reasoning, as we have no access to it.

EveWasFramed said:
You don't. If it chooses you, it chooses you. We've yet to figure out it's reasoning, as we have no access to it.

hehe, scary.
i hear judgmentday arriving o_O

is this how it will end ??
Akismet will take over, bann us all and distroy the world ??
if so, there is no avoiding it.
the end in nigh i tell you.

Nolife Princess said:
..... but how do WE avoid it?

The company does not give out a lot of information about what the filtering is based on. The spammers have been working hard on figuring that out so that they can more easily avoid it.

The company just describes its workings as "Each time a new comment, trackback, or pingback is added to your site it's submitted to the Akismet web service which runs hundreds of tests on the comment and returns a thumbs up or thumbs down. As a result, you don't have to waste your time sorting through and deleting spammy comments."

I have yet to find what those "hundreds of tests" are.

EveWasFramed said:
Unfortunately, the only person who can alter it, is the person who has access to it, which is the site's owner, Bjarne.
I did see you were banned this morning and lifted it.

Hi Eve,

Thank you for your help and lifting the ban. :)

Sincerely,

Anna Mouse

It seems to ban me if I begin a thread with a link instead of a sentence. I think. If nope then it might just be certain sites. I'm going to try to post my thread again and might wind up banned again. I never post anything commercial only information sites.

EDIT: This does appear to be the case. I reposted the same post to begin with text instead of a link and there were no problems.

This is worrying lol. The chat things don't work for me very well due to having poor internet. If anyone has any contact details outside of here that they don't mind me having, let me know please x] (PM Me)

Well I was wrong. It will ban you if there is a suspected spam link anywhere on the page, and the last time it banned me was just for pasting something from a site about meditation. The ban before that was I trying to post the link to where you can watch south park episodes online, as I wanted to illustrate something reminded me of a certain episode. The ban before that was over the emerald tablets of thoth thread. It seems to be totally random as to what it considers spam or not, and will even ban messages with no links that are considered to be spam. I'll try to be more careful...

lol I'm always going getting kicked out, am I become the brainey smurf of the forum? The lifepath 5 has a knack for bug testing and getting into situations like this.

Apparently the spam filter doesn't approve of me posting in the thread about dating sites. I've attempted this twice (several days between both times), both resulting in a ban. No links, no bad language, nothing in particular I can understand would provoke the spam filter. I'm puzzled and amused.

Latest posts

Back