Depression prevents people from being productive?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duality

Reaction score
Is it normal for depressed people to have a hard time doing something productive? Because I'm having trouble doing something productive because of my depression. It's like I'm having a mid-20s life crisis right now, so I keep thinking about how I can't make anything out of myself.

Absolutely.
It can really make it hard to get out of bed in the morning and make yourself do anything at all.

A good way to try and offset this if you have strong willpower is to force yourself into a short and easy exercise routine in the morning as soon as you wake up.
Even just getting out of bed and doing like 5 or 6 star jumps can get your blood flowing and make you more active.

As for doing things that are productive, you really just have to make yourself do things, nobody can do it for you.

duality said:
Is it normal for depressed people to have a hard time doing something productive? Because I'm having trouble doing something productive because of my depression. It's like I'm having a mid-20s life crisis right now, so I keep thinking about how I can't make anything out of myself.

I've never thought of it before, but it'd make sense. Perhaps I am actually depressed.

Because I too am having the whole mid-20's life crisis, plus I seem to be completely devoid of motivation.

It's an immensely irritating situation, because all you want to do is fix it and be productive, but it's like you can't do anything to change it.

At least, that's my experience :p

When depression hits me, it does as you said... I don't even wanna get off my bed.. however as mentioned, you must MAKE yourself do it.. what I do is make a list of 3 to 5 things to get done for that day, and check them off as I finish them, and when it is all done, I feel accomplished, and in that makes me feel better. even little bitty things ( wash the car, vacuum the floor, walk in the park (do laps) or brush the dog, just small things.. it really works.. I promise(:)

Also , I don't promote drugs.. but sometimes it is the only way (depression medications) they help also.

Hugs (:)

I agree with Princess here. And I'd like to add, don't worry too much about the lack of focus. It will leave you as you force yourself being active.

If at the end of the day, your negative thoughts are still with you, you can write them down in a journal, your mind will be clearer the next days and you'll have more focus then.

everything makes me eat a lot :)

I have to push myself to get things done too which is why things don't get done. I don't remember the last time i vacuumed the floor or cleaned the bathroom.

The detrimental causes of depression varies from person to person..

A real bad case is when it shuts everything down... you don't feel like doing anything, except sleep. I was like that for close to 10 months..

I'm in the same **** boat, and I wish it would go away (some mid 20's crap). Wish I could figure it out. Depression drains your energy.

Depression and stress also destroys your immune system. So unless you want to take antibiotics for life like I have to -

Eat well, sleep all you can and try to detract your mind whenever possible to take some respite.

Know its not easy, but your body suffers equally during such times. So look after it - I didn't !

duality said:

This is exactly what im living with :(

Latest posts

Back