Your family .....

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Factotum

Reaction score
i used to be really close to my cousins when i was a kid. i grew up with them. we have been drifting apart for the last 10 years or so. everyone caught up with education and careers and families.

i visited an old cousin today, i used to like her a lot. we used to be very fond of each other when we were kids. she was visiting with her husband at her parents. part of their old house had been demolished. and i felt really bad. we used to play there.

and we didnt even have much to say to each other. we had drifted apart so much. i felt like a stranger. and i felt like killing myself. boy, life really tears you apart.

anyone have similar experiences with their families? do post and discuss.

have you had a similar experience with your family? do post!

Oh yes, very much so. My family doesn't really get along either. I have a few cousins I got a long with really well. One set of cousins we became very good friends with, we'd spend weekends over at each others place and had a blast hanging out together. Then along came life and some crazy stuff went down and we lost touch. I tired to keep in contact over the years but there were always hurt feelings between my brother and one of them. It wasn't until last year when my grandmother passed away that the two of them finally let the bad feelings go, same with an Uncle of mine and my mom, he told her that there comes a time to do just that. They are family. Of course my other Uncle and an Aunt are still a huge butt but oh well can't win them all.

One of my cousins I used to really get along with, we were so much alike, still are but our interests are a bit different now. Last time we got together it seemed he and my brother talked me and I was left out. They played a similar game, which I don't. It was kind of odd for me, I just sat with another cousin of mine and talked to her. There are a few that feel like complete strangers since we've never known them very well.

I never see most of my cousins. That's what happens when the grandparents die. The only time you see anyone is when there is a marriage or a funeral.
Since the odds of me ever getting married are pretty much 0, I'll have to wait till my funeral to see everyone. *laughs*

That's true Blackdot, sad but true. That's the only time my family all gets together, for a funeral or marriage, and over the past few years its been funerals...I think the last wedding I went to was 10 or more years ago.

I never liked my fathers side of the family despite never seeing them much, my father doesn't like them either now, I haven't spoken to them for at least 8 years.

My mothers side of the family is huge, my grandparents had 5 daughters and they all have children so I`ve got cousins everywhere. I used to see all my family regularly when I was young but as every year passed I would see them less and less, at around the age of 10 I would be lucky to see them 3 times a year. A few years later I emigrated to France, since then I've only been in regular contact with my grandmother, my youngest aunt and her 3 children, the rest have just seemed too busy and whenever I do hear from them it feels very awkward.

I like to think that I have 2 families, I have my family which is massive but who I have no real connection with anymore and my 'real family' who are those few members of my family who won't let me drift away no matter where I am, and who actually want me in their life baggage and all.

Think about having a BIG family bond.... then ya get married (family disagrees with your partner of choice) then dumps you.... I mean the entire family.

Life does suck... but you pack up your gear, put on your armour and carry on.

it hurts, yes.. you cant beat yourself over what others do.. it is their loss.

BLACKDOT--------> *huggies to you sugar*

I used to hang out with my cousins in family meetings as kids but now I don't even talk to them, I have nothing to say to them, nothing i can think of or in common... It is kind of sad, but what you gonna do? Maybe it will change someday... (don't think so but it's possible). Life takes you down diferent paths... there is also the fact that I see them 1-2 times a year, it's impossible to keep up.

Pezza> I know how the large family thing is.

My dad's parents had I believe 9 kids. I'm not sure the # of grandkids. People on that side didn't do much getting together. They lived about 2 hours away so it was too far to make frequent trips.

My mom's parents had 7 kids and 6 of those had 2 or more kids each. That side had frequent get togethers so Christmas day was a huge gathering of people.

Now for Christmas, we go to one of the aunt's house and that's it. Sometimes the one single aunt that didn't have kids will come visit too but not often.

blackdot said:
I never see most of my cousins. That's what happens when the grandparents die. The only time you see anyone is when there is a marriage or a funeral.
Since the odds of me ever getting married are pretty much 0, I'll have to wait till my funeral to see everyone. *laughs*

jeez blackdot, you will get married and be happy man.

I have a pretty big extended family. I haven't seen any of them in years though. I don't even go to weddings or funerals. I bet it would be weird if I saw them now, I shouldn't think we'd have much to say to each other.

I used to be really close to my sister but not so much anymore. We drifted apart as we grew up and now there are issues :( I always used to think we'd be best friends forever.

I try to avoid weddings.
Funny story:
One of my cousins got married. At the end they wanted to do the toss the garter thing (which I think is just plain stupid). I tried to hide but my dad dragged me over to stand next to one of my other cousins. Neither of us had ever dated. The groom shoots the garter at us. We both see it coming right as us. I'm not daring to move. He's not daring to move either. As it gets right to us it loses energy and falls straight down about a foot in front of us. Both of us just stand there and watch it fall. Then this little kid, maybe 2 years old, runs over and grabs it and runs off with it.
The people in the crowd were not exactly happy with either of us.

blackdot said:
I try to avoid weddings.
Funny story:
One of my cousins got married. At the end they wanted to do the toss the garter thing (which I think is just plain stupid). I tried to hide but my dad dragged me over to stand next to one of my other cousins. Neither of us had ever dated. The groom shoots the garter at us. We both see it coming right as us. I'm not daring to move. He's not daring to move either. As it gets right to us it loses energy and falls straight down about a foot in front of us. Both of us just stand there and watch it fall. Then this little kid, maybe 2 years old, runs over and grabs it and runs off with it.
The people in the crowd were not exactly happy with either of us.

I've never heard off that. Here its always the bride who throws her bouquet and the woman who catches it will be the next one to marry (yeah right). This fiasco normally ends in a rugby style scrum...

Or at least thats what used to happen when I actually went to weddings.

Latest posts

Back