So I hate myself.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedAugust

Reaction score
When I'm talking to people I put on a happy face and all, but when I'm alone I just can't bring myself to smile, I feel like an empty shell, only smiling to people so they wont treat me differently for it.

I just can't connect with anyone, I get invited to parties and the like, Its not that I'm isolated, but I don't feel like I'm surrounded by people and I feel isolated, despite still hanging out with friends and doing things that seem fun.

Does anyone else feel like this? has anyone felt like this and managed to get out of it what do I do?

Yeah, been there before. The problem with me was that I wasn't being who I wanted to be. You really have to look at yourself and ask if you are happy with who you are and list the reasons why or why not. Why you feel so isolated, and what you are looking for.

Once you are more honest with yourself about what you are looking for and need, you should be able to start to pull yourself out of it.

I can relate to you on a certain level. I used to dislike myself a lot as well and I'm pretty shy but had no issues being invited to go out and do things. Going out though, where it was to a party, bowling, or even just out for drinks; I just felt uncomfortable and awkward the whole time.

I'm not sure if its because I'm older or because of my close group of friends now- but I actually enjoy going out! I think it really has to do with the right people that bring out the person I want to be. I think the hardest part is realizing who we are and what makes us happy. Once you can figure out the type of person you are and the type of people you want to spend your time around, I think you will enjoy going out and doing things much more.

RedAugust said:
When I'm talking to people I put on a happy face and all, but when I'm alone I just can't bring myself to smile, I feel like an empty shell, only smiling to people so they wont treat me differently for it.

I just can't connect with anyone, I get invited to parties and the like, Its not that I'm isolated, but I don't feel like I'm surrounded by people and I feel isolated, despite still hanging out with friends and doing things that seem fun.

Does anyone else feel like this? has anyone felt like this and managed to get out of it what do I do?

First off, it's great you are getting invited to parties. At least you are getting out. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like your current social (and private) lives are satisfying.
Maybe try and get to know yourself better. Start with small things like your likes and dislikes, hobbies, interests. Then move into examining deeper things like your beliefs and values.
If you feel like you already are in tune with yourself then start to work on altering the things about you that you don't like. Start with something small. For example, I might choose procrastinating. That's something I don't like about myself and sometimes when it's cram time it even makes me hate myself for putting myself in that position.
I went through the self-hatred phase and I found that the more I learned to understand myself, the less frustrated I was and the less I hated myself.
When you know who you are, you are more likely to gravitate towards relationships that will be personally meaningful to you. Hopefully, that will help you feel less alone.

My god, whatever you do don't do drunken bowling! Bad things happen. Wonder if I'm still banned?

If anyone here is going to do drunken bowling make sure you get someone to film it.

...and then put it on youtube.

THANK GOD there was no You Tube or cell phones with cameras when that night went down- photographic evidence would have resulted in some penitentiary time for sure. I'll see if I can find the old newspaper clipping I had. Bowling balls make for extremely nasty projectiles in the hands of drunken youths.

Oh honeysuckle, I just hijacked a thread. VERY sorry RedAugust:(

I can one hundred percent connect with you!
I get invited to events by friends all the time, but every time I go out I feel ridiculously ackward and facaded.
I try to smile and have fun, but I still feel so empty and unfulfilled inside. If you find yourself a solution to this problem, let me know, because I wish I could just have real fun for once!

I know the feeling. I am very very shy as well and when I do go out with my friends, I become silent and just feel awkward. I don't why this happens. At school, I am very timid and super shy as well. I can't look at a person's eye when I talk with them and I don't like speaking up at class. I try to change and do better everyday but it's just difficult. But I will try my best and hopefully it will pay off. :)

I relate to the first part, but I don't get invited anywhere or have friends. If I did I probably wouldn't relate to the first part anymore

Yes, I've definitely been there... I get invited to various occasions.... But I still feel alone. I don't like to go out to parties most of the time and I just feel like if I go, I'll just embarrass myself. I'm lost.

I always feel like this in social situations. I dont really have any friends at the moment, but even when I used to I would always end up feeling alone or unhappy even while hanging out with them, for no real reason at all. I was hanging out with my brother recently and I know he actually likes hanging out with me, but I still had that same feeling, like he didnt want me there and I was just feeling all isolated even hanging out with him.

I totally feel this thread. its such a strange feeling of absolute alienation that washes over me like an icy cold blanket, sometimes even when in the midst of friends i've known for life.

I think this is the common problem .Everyone knows the drawback of himself .Just try to overcome this problem.
This is the human nature that we are not comfortable with everyone . ALL different situation anyone have different expressions.

flaneur said:
Ledia said:
I hate myself too. Let's party

I'm supposed to hate you too, remember? (wary) *parties with the Liley pond*

come to chat and party with us (hmm). you can hate me there all you want, i dont mind. hey, we can even hate me together (y)

Latest posts

Back