Not good at anything

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lonelyloser

I feel like my whole life I have been average at everything. I tried sports, but was never that good because I'm not athletic. I tried music, and it was fun but I felt like I could only be so good at it no matter how much I practiced. I wish I could sing but am absolutely horrible at it. Even at board games like Monopoly and Parcheesi, I never win. It seems like there are people who are just naturally good at everything and win without trying.

I know how it feels when you just cant do anything right. I always seem to make mistakes in everything that I do as well. And most of the time I fail to connect with people because I just cannot say or do anything right when Im around with people that Im not close to or that Ive never met before.

And winning is not everything. The most important thing is that you've gave things a go :)

lonelyloser said:
I feel like my whole life I have been average at everything. I tried sports, but was never that good because I'm not athletic. I tried music, and it was fun but I felt like I could only be so good at it no matter how much I practiced. I wish I could sing but am absolutely horrible at it. Even at board games like Monopoly and Parcheesi, I never win. It seems like there are people who are just naturally good at everything and win without trying.

I think a lot of people feel this way. I tried playing the bass guitar and was yelled at by my instructor and told I have "stubby fingers" and would never learn to play. I don't have stubby fingers, but I never could get the hang of it. The only time I've ever won a board game is when I play with my 6 year old. I don't think that counts. There isn't really anything that I can say that I excel at. I like writing, but I'm too much of a chicken to share it with others and find out if I'm any good. You're not alone. I feel the same way.

lonelyloser said:

I'm with you there I'm not good at anything with any practical use. The only thing I've ever been able to do well is on tests and other school stuff and even there I'm never even near the top in any class, just a little above average, nothing spectacular, there always has to be someone better at everything, it sucks.

Well at least you are average. I am below average at everything. I tried it all too. Tried music...ha! that lasted a day....tried sports did not make it through the try-outs...tried photography and lost interest in it because i was not good at it. oh and i am not even good at my job. I do nothing right and then I always look like a fool. So trust me being average in things is not that bad. I would rather be average at everything than what I am now!

lonelyloser said:

Aside for the very few people born with some natural skill...being good at something just takes a whole lot of practice. While being great at something..takes time, practice, patience and a love for what you're doing.
And by the way..you express yourself very well with words. Perhaps your gift is.. in being able to write?

Arianna said:
lonelyloser said:

Aside for the very few people born with some natural skill...being good at something just takes a whole lot of practice. While being great at something..takes time, practice, patience and a love for what you're doing.
And by the way..you express yourself very well with words. Perhaps your gift is.. in being able to write?

Oh thanks well I do like to write, it comes sort of naturally to me...I write poetry when I have inspiration, and I enjoy writing analytical and expository pieces. When I was in college I loved writing papers over taking tests. I feel like my writing is not as developed as it should be, but on certain subjects I think I express myself well.

lonelyloser said:

I can definitely relate...I can't even hit my coworker with a crumpled wad of paper. I suck at most board games, and I'm pretty horrible at talking to girls. But one thing that gives me a little motivation is there is more reward at the end (even if its just from yourself) if you have to put a ton of effort and/or practice to get good at something.

lonelyloser said:

I'm sure there's things you're good at. You either haven't discovered them or you're just too hard on yourself.

I'm good at a few things, it's just that no one notices or cares. I'm not sure which is worse. Not being good at anything, or being good at stuff and ignored.

dang

i know it does feel like that a lot

I played soccer for over a decade and i was still only on the b team and i still couldn't control the ball

i can't draw,

and i spend so much time pratcing the guitar i deny homework,
but i don't even think i'm getting anywhere

but ehat makes me feel even worse is that so many people can play the guitar that even if i did get good at it, it wouldn't be anything special.

But just keep moving on if you can, thats what i'm trying to do. even though i feel no motivation or gratifcation in school work i guess it's just something i have to do.

sorry i know that doesn;t sound like much encouragement

just try not to give up hope

:)

Get into your writing. Do what you love.
You could share some of your work here with us. Where I live there are writing workshops and groups where writers get together to share their work, their love of writing, and get support. Maybe you could find something similiar in your area.

Focus on what you love. Sounds like you have talent and a love for writing. I highly encourage you to persue your love of writing. Don't focus on what you feel you cannot do.

I write music and lyrics . I'd love to read some of your writing.
I could share some of mine with you if you're interested? Anyway go for what you love.

Good luck
christine

I totally see how you feel cause I feel like that all the time, so I blame myself for being socially rejected.

sometimes I feel average. I am not really really good at anything. I want to be uber good at something so I can be unique but I don't think there's anything i can be that good at. however I am good at somethings that many people aren't like rubik's cubes, drawing, guitar hero, some more stuff like that

Don Tonberry said:
however I am good at somethings that many people aren't like rubik's cubes, drawing, guitar hero, some more stuff like that

hah am rubbish at all them things.

If you gave me a Rubik's cubes I could not do it even if you gave me 10 life times to do it in.

bluey said:
Don Tonberry said:
however I am good at somethings that many people aren't like rubik's cubes, drawing, guitar hero, some more stuff like that

If you gave me a Rubik's cubes I could not do it even if you gave me 10 life times to do it in.

Same here stupid Rubik's cube, I got one like 5 years ago and I still haven't solved it, now I just keep it locked up in my closet,lol:p

NeverMore said:
bluey said:
Don Tonberry said:

Same here stupid Rubik's cube, I got one like 5 years ago and I still haven't solved it, now I just keep it locked up in my closet,lol:p

:-D Have you tried taking all the stickers off and then putting them back on haha nobody knows lol and you can make out you did it :p

Its not cheating, its using your initiative

bluey said:
NeverMore said:
bluey said:
Don Tonberry said:

:-D Have you tried taking all the stickers off and then putting them back on haha nobody knows lol and you can make out you did it :p

Hmmm, outsmart the cube, brilliant... bluey you are truly a genius:D

bluey said:

Lmao! I actually did that when I was still a kid lol :D
So in reality when people think I've solved it before? I haven't solved one at all :D:D

I've also always been very average at everything. However, I do feel if I had put more effort into things then it might be different.
oh wait... I'm pretty good at Counter-Strike :D

Latest posts

Back