What was the last book you read?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hyped for being the youngest author writing for The New Yorker so I checked it out. Second half kicked.

books0515tigers.jpg

Most recent read was this.
ERE.jpg

Review - "It's really dense and takes time to get through. It's more like a college textbook than anything. There's some basic college level math but it's nothing too hard. Even if you can't follow the math it's pretty easy to follow along and get the gist of the ideas. Also some of the ideas are a little...extreme!"
Here is a better review. http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2011/05/17/book-review-early-retirement-extreme/

Does the operating manual for my wall oven count? Swear to god that it was an evil minded engineer who put this one together!

The novel version (it was originally a short story) of Flowers for Algernon.

flaneur said:
Hyped for being the youngest author writing for The New Yorker so I checked it out. Second half kicked.

books0515tigers.jpg

Image is blocked at work, is it the Tiger's Wife (judging from your description)? I read this last year when it came out and was a little disappointed, it was ok it just felt a little to self aware and it didn't draw me in. I would read her next novel though if it reviews well.

I've almost finished the Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Murakami all his books are so similarly themed but I can't seem to stop reading them!

Also finished Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski the week before which was brilliant, the central character Chianski is a true American Anti hero. Read that along with the Post Office about the same character. he divides oppinion and not for litterary purists (apparently) but I love his style direct, angry and at times very sharp and funny.

Over break I've read:

The Depression Atlas - By: Andrew Solomon

The Tales of Beedle the Bard - By: J.K. Rowling

Magical Beasts and Where to Find them - By: a Ghost Writer

Dune - By: Frank Herbert

Odd Thomas - By: Dean Koontz

The Extraordinary Tale of Nicholas Pierce - By: Alexander Deluca (spelling?)

Game of Thrones - By: George R. R. Martin (which I am 34% of the way through)

The Good Citizen said:
flaneur said:

books0515tigers.jpg

Image is blocked at work, is it the Tiger's Wife (judging from your description)? I read this last year when it came out and was a little disappointed, it was ok it just felt a little to self aware and it didn't draw me in. I would read her next novel though if it reviews well.

I've almost finished the Wind Up Bird Chronicle by Murakami all his books are so similarly themed but I can't seem to stop reading them!

Also finished Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowski the week before which was brilliant, the central character Chianski is a true American Anti hero. Read that along with the Post Office about the same character. he divides oppinion and not for litterary purists (apparently) but I love his style direct, angry and at times very sharp and funny.

Yes, it's the Tiger's Wife. I thought it was brilliant for a first novel. As for Murakami, I read Sputnik Sweetheart and tried to read Norwegian Wood but just couldn't get interested, although I definitely see the appeal. I may have to give him another shot one of these days. To each their own, I suppose. :)

Just started "In search of lost time - swann's way" by Marcel Proust

This is the first book in a 7 part Opus which supposedly makes up the longest Novel in the English Language. I am suitably daunted at the thought of reading the whole lot!

Recently started re-reading 'The Ebony Tower' by John Fowles, a collection of stories of which 'The Ebony Tower' is one.
I loved John Fowles novels, I read them when I was going through depression and they gave me a glimpse into another world. One where I could explore my innermost feelings without fear or blame.

Attachments

• ebony tower.jpg
    ebony tower.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 4
Skimmed through digital excerpts from Madison Grant's The Passing of the Great Race and The Rising Tide of Color Against White World-Supremacy by Lothrop Stoddard. These men were lunatics!

That was the book Jane eyre and have created a nice love world in it. I really got inspired from the same.

Latest posts

Back