Interview Anxiety

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFrozenSoul

Reaction score
So I hate asking for encouragement... but things have not been going my way recently. I am job hunting and I have been turned down for every job I have had an interview for. That is depressing, however, tomorrow I have an interview meal with the president of a company who said that the company really liked me. I mean they said the interview went really well. This company is a remote office company so I am the only person in my area. The president just happens to be passing through.

Maybe it is just my skepticism. I mean... every other recruiter/HR person said that they really liked what they heard on the phone. Yet... every time I get to the real life interview. It is determined that I am not good enough. So I get all excited and happy, then boom I crash back down. This has happened 3 times in the past month. I get built up really good. I mean... one company flew me out and spent $1000 on me to give me an interview. Then turned me down the other company seemed to like me. I knew my stuff, but I guess I was not a good office fit... maybe it is because I have trouble focusing my eyes... I do not know... that is just how I am... the third company just sort of gave me a test and was done with it. So I am pretty depressed. Especially since I have not received a return call from any recruiters who I have failed an interview for.

So I do not know.. I really want this new job. It would be the perfect job for a loser like me. I would almost never have to leave home. However, I am anxious... it is not every day the president of a company comes to see you... if he does not like me then I am back to square one. I am really starting to hate my current job. I really hope I get this one. The guys on the phone sounded really impressed. However, now I have to add etiquette to this... I do not know... every time I screw up in the live interview. It is just depressing. I get so hopeful and no one wants me. It is just like my life.

So yeah I am venting about trivial nonsense... I know most people would kill to be in my position in this economy. If you want to kill me let me know I have no problem arranging appearing somewhere to let you. However, I could just use something to make me feel like I have this job. I mean one company spent $1000 on me just for an interview then turned me down... now I am meeting with the company president. I want to take that as a good sign.. but... I do not know how to take it.

Thanks for reading... I know I am a waste of space. Complaining about not possibly getting a job when I have plenty of other recruiters trying to get me interviews.. thanks...

Hmmm, you are pretty rough on yourself, a waste of space... no way. I find that i get turned off by people who try too hard and are fake, and insecure.
Maybe something like that comes out in person and makes the employers change their minds.
Well all i have to say is how i live my life... be yourself, know that you are perfect in beeing yourself. You are going to get the job if it is for you . If not, well it would have probably been a bad job in the long run.
Good luck, i know the best will happen for you, and sometimes the best is not what we think it is ...lol

There are no failures only learning opportunities.

Ill be sending positive thoughts your way, and during your meeting, if you feel insecure... think of me beeing there with you and beleiving in you !!

AFrozenSoul said:
So I hate asking for encouragement... but things have not been going my way recently. I am job hunting and I have been turned down for every job I have had an interview for. That is depressing, however, tomorrow I have an interview meal with the president of a company who said that the company really liked me. I mean they said the interview went really well. This company is a remote office company so I am the only person in my area. The president just happens to be passing through.

Maybe it is just my skepticism. I mean... every other recruiter/HR person said that they really liked what they heard on the phone. Yet... every time I get to the real life interview. It is determined that I am not good enough. So I get all excited and happy, then boom I crash back down. This has happened 3 times in the past month. I get built up really good. I mean... one company flew me out and spent $1000 on me to give me an interview. Then turned me down the other company seemed to like me. I knew my stuff, but I guess I was not a good office fit... maybe it is because I have trouble focusing my eyes... I do not know... that is just how I am... the third company just sort of gave me a test and was done with it. So I am pretty depressed. Especially since I have not received a return call from any recruiters who I have failed an interview for.

So I do not know.. I really want this new job. It would be the perfect job for a loser like me. I would almost never have to leave home. However, I am anxious... it is not every day the president of a company comes to see you... if he does not like me then I am back to square one. I am really starting to hate my current job. I really hope I get this one. The guys on the phone sounded really impressed. However, now I have to add etiquette to this... I do not know... every time I screw up in the live interview. It is just depressing. I get so hopeful and no one wants me. It is just like my life.

So yeah I am venting about trivial nonsense... I know most people would kill to be in my position in this economy. If you want to kill me let me know I have no problem arranging appearing somewhere to let you. However, I could just use something to make me feel like I have this job. I mean one company spent $1000 on me just for an interview then turned me down... now I am meeting with the company president. I want to take that as a good sign.. but... I do not know how to take it.

Thanks for reading... I know I am a waste of space. Complaining about not possibly getting a job when I have plenty of other recruiters trying to get me interviews.. thanks...

Hey AFS,

I could have wrote this almost word for word two months ago (except for the company president interviews). Same situation though, doing a job I loathed (and for which my skill set didn't suit), getting up in the morning and forcing myself to drive to a site run by one of the most incompetent people I've had the misfortune to be "supervised" by.

I had a half dozen phone interviews and four face to face for positions that would get me away from the insanity I detested but after the initial contact there would be follow up calls and emails- still nothing.

Then a week ago a job I had interviewed for back in November called me up and asked me to report for duty Feb 6th. It's the one I really wanted. Here's the irony, the day I was told about the new job I got laid off from the shitty one. I lucked out- a couple of weeks off with extra pay due to the layoff that I wouldn't have had if I had given notice.

I think I gave the strongest interview of my life to get this position- I went in and displayed a confidence beyond anything I'd ever had before in an interview situation- basically I had faith in myself, knew my stuff, and didn't hesitate when it came to Q&A. The eye contact was a bit tough but I focused on the interviewers forehead to "hold" their gaze.

AFS, go in there tomorrow with a mission to get this job. Shake that "loser" label you tagged yourself with- you're not. Youre going to be VERY confident, not desperate. I think they better snatch you up quick because you're not going to be waiting around forever. You are the guy that they're looking for, make sure they don't waste any time on anybody else because you're the best candidate for the position- period.

Get some rest, you don't want to go in there yawning and red-eyed. If you're too wound up review some of your stuff- you already know the answers but a little reinforcement doesn't hurt. Don't know if you have a copy or not but reading a few pages of "The Power of Positive Feeling" by Norman V. Peale can give you a confidence boost.

I'm not going to say good luck, I'm already saying congrats, job well done!

How well I know the interview anxiety thing! I feel for you guy! I spent months looking for work, and even getting an interview was a very rare thing. When I did they would ask me questions like "What are you passionate about?" Huh??? They would sometimes ask me to provide an example of how I'd provided "world class service" in the past. Excuse me???

I'm not at all sure what "world class service" is, but I'm pretty sure I've never gotten it, perhaps because I can't afford it. I always had huge anxiety going to interviews, but at one point I decided that it was for nothing, since if I didn't get the job I'd be no worse off than I already was. They couldn't do anything nasty to me really, or take anything from me.

Hang in there, and just know that whatever the outcome you are a worthwhile person, and it's their loss if they can't see that.

Well, I survived the interview. I like the high I get from actually completing one. Because I suck at reading people so I think every interview went well. I hope I get a call today. I don't want to have to wait till next week to hear. But they said today or Monday.

Well, they want to fly me out for an interview at their HQ. This is officially where I screw things up. Last time, All my phone stuff went really well. According to the HR people. Then I flew out there and interviewed. That is when everything went downhill. I hate this the most about interviews. You do so awesome in the beginning only to be let down miserably at the end. Which will hurt more this time since I really want this job.

whispers said:
Hey you impressed the president, that is very promising. I'm crossing my fingers for you !!!
I am doing my best to stay optimistic. However, it is hard to say one way or another. Plus I am kind of broke right now and I need a new dress shirt... that way in case I run into the president again I do not look like a one-act show.

Like I said though, every recruiter and HR person said they were really impressed with my screens. However, all of the decide at the in person interview that I am not what they are looking for. However, thanks I will hope and try... I guess I should make some notes... I have a week and a half before my next interview. I hate waiting at a dead-end job.

TrailerTrish said:
How well I know the interview anxiety thing! I feel for you guy! I spent months looking for work, and even getting an interview was a very rare thing. When I did they would ask me questions like "What are you passionate about?" Huh??? They would sometimes ask me to provide an example of how I'd provided "world class service" in the past. Excuse me???

I'm not at all sure what "world class service" is, but I'm pretty sure I've never gotten it, perhaps because I can't afford it. I always had huge anxiety going to interviews, but at one point I decided that it was for nothing, since if I didn't get the job I'd be no worse off than I already was. They couldn't do anything nasty to me really, or take anything from me.

Hang in there, and just know that whatever the outcome you are a worthwhile person, and it's their loss if they can't see that.

They ask the most random, generalized crap. I don't think they are even interested in your answer most of the time, only in knowing how fast you can make up some bull that sounds good.
I hate effing selling myself like that. I'm a person, not a product!

roguewave said:
They ask the most random, generalized crap. I don't think they are even interested in your answer most of the time, only in knowing how fast you can make up some bull that sounds good.
I hate effing selling myself like that. I'm a person, not a product!
Actually... you are trying to sell a service as a person.. so you still have to sell yourself in a manner of speaking. It is fair to say you should have to convince them of your abilities.

AFrozenSoul said:
Well, they want to fly me out for an interview at their HQ. This is officially where I screw things up. Last time, All my phone stuff went really well. According to the HR people. Then I flew out there and interviewed. That is when everything went downhill. I hate this the most about interviews. You do so awesome in the beginning only to be let down miserably at the end. Which will hurt more this time since I really want this job.

We're pulling for you AFS, you're going to wow them. I'm not really into prayers but I can say my hopes are with you.

Lonely in BC said:
We're pulling for you AFS, you're going to wow them. I'm not really into prayers but I can say my hopes are with you.
Well I cannot keep myself psyched up for a whole week. My interview is on the 31st. I can hope that they are desperate though. They did mention an immediate need. I am only good for the most desperate of the desperate. For everything in life.

That may be the way you feel but you are selling yourself short.

So I went to the interview for this job. It went alright, I do not know... I felt all my other job interviews went well. Anyway, I will get an official answer next friday. According to the HR person my interviews went well. Then again according to most of the recruiters and HR people my past interviews went well.

At least I have another interview next Wednesday as well to keep me occupied.

This is something that I've learned from going on multiple job interviews over the years.

Research the company. Their morals, values, standards, history, and everything to do with them.

Then when the manager asks you why you would like to work there, pull out, "Well, I value the company because it has a long history..." Then go into everything that has gone on with the company, abit briefly.

The manager will be so impressed that he/she will be begging you for the job!

Latest posts

Back