How would one know if someone whom you chat with online mainly is angry or pissed

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevj

Reaction score
I used to have a relatively good friend whom I knew for years, but after moving, I am somehow unable to figure out what he is thinking per se. As a buddy, I used to believe that that we were best friends, but after being estranged over some ethical issues which we could not agree over, I barely started talking again. I always get this strange feeling as if I am talking to someone who takes personal offence at some of my words or if not, could get a chip off his shoulders and hence, my concern is, for friends whom you now only manage to talk to online, how would you even be able to know if they are pissed at something you wrote or said?

Online chatting is difficult, very easy to misunderstand something. When i am in doubt, because of the choice of words or the short sentences, i ask. Am i anoying you ? If the persson lies when answering, well you cant do anything about that. The use of emoticons helps alot too.

Sometimes you have to read between the lines. Most people will type things differently, just like we speak differently when in different moods. They will either use shorter sentences or certain negative words in forming their replies, or lack of emoticons or internet short forms like lol.

Usually if you get the feeling that someone is pissed then that is a good indicator. You can always ask if everything is okay, if they have anything the need to rant about. Some won't and just brush it off. The important thing is to never push the subject, just like in real life you wouldn't want to force a person into talking about something they don't or aren't ready to talk about. That only makes people madder.

I've always found that when someone is ready to talk about what is bugging them the conversation stays much calmer, people are more rational and accepting of advice or suggestions.

Latest posts

Back