Are shy guys really appreciated by women?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shy would be considered "cute" by girls, but not "cute" as in "I'll have sex with you" type of cute.

I agree with that.

And it's not that shy guys are disliked completely. I have been able to form friendships.

I guess I'm just cynical at this point, because I've seen it happen, time and time again, that I don't get anywhere because I'm "too shy."

Depends on the woman. I mean, I know it sounds cliche but there is no law of attraction that says no woman will appreciate a shy guy. Given the fact that shy people do end up in successful relationships should be enough evidence. However, I think shy guys are at a huge disadvantage because men are generally expected to make the first move. Initiating the relationship is much harder for the shy guy, but actually maintaining a relationship depends on more factors than just being outgoing.

I think it depends on the level of shyness, as well as the woman. If a guy is a little shy, I find it adorable. If a guy is too shy, there is a good chance that we'll never talk.

nerdygirl said:
I think it depends on the level of shyness, as well as the woman. If a guy is a little shy, I find it adorable. If a guy is too shy, there is a good chance that we'll never talk.

^This.

I personally always liked (reasonably) shy guys. I even preferred them over the gregarious sort, they always seemed like a lot less trouble. But if a guy was too shy then that just became impossible.

No they are not, and for good reason. If you are too shy to make decisions and be assertive in the relationship, then you won't have much luck. No one likes being in charge of all of the decisions. You might find someone that goes for that eventually but it will take a while.

I am shy myself, and if I am on a date with a man who is even shyer than I am, it is difficult as I feel that I have to do all the work of keeping a conversation going and of being entertaining. If he is not responsive, it makes me think I am not being interesting enough. So if a man is too shy to uphold his part of the conversation, my lack of confidence kicks in and I find I can't be with him. However, if he tries to meet me halfway conversationwise, then his shyness is an advantage and I really like it, because it means he won't be pushy or expect too much of me.

Well, speaking personally, if a girl is shy, then I generally find it easier to talk. So a situation like that, Tiina, I wouldn't have any issue with it.

The problem I have is with "the mile a minute" talkers. Theyexpectyoutofillineverysinglespaceandwordwithanotherwordlikeso...see?

Which has been every single woman I've met that is interested in me, slightly.

Of course they are. Because women know that shy guys won't say "put out or get out". Women know shy guys don't know anything about dating so the shy guy will always do the 50s thing and pay for the whole meal. The shy guy will give her his trust while she goes out and cheats on him. Then when she lies to him he will believe her.

Shy guys are all wonderful targets for women. Because shy guys can be so easily used and abused. Without shy guys women would have to give equally in all their relationships. So with a shy guy she can give all her sex to a man she is actually attracted to and all her emotions to the shy guy.

AFrozenSoul said:
Of course they are. Because women know that shy guys won't say "put out or get out". Women know shy guys don't know anything about dating so the shy guy will always do the 50s thing and pay for the whole meal. The shy guy will give her his trust while she goes out and cheats on him. Then when she lies to him he will believe her.

Shy guys are all wonderful targets for women. Because shy guys can be so easily used and abused. Without shy guys women would have to give equally in all their relationships. So with a shy guy she can give all her sex to a man she is actually attracted to and all her emotions to the shy guy.

Cool story, bro.

AFrozenSoul said:

That's pretty **** cynical. 0_0

sylvestris lybica said:
Depends on the woman. I mean, I know it sounds cliche but there is no law of attraction that says no woman will appreciate a shy guy. Given the fact that shy people do end up in successful relationships should be enough evidence. However, I think shy guys are at a huge disadvantage because men are generally expected to make the first move. Initiating the relationship is much harder for the shy guy, but actually maintaining a relationship depends on more factors than just being outgoing.

^ This.

I think generally even very shy people open up eventually. Especially if they have a partner who they see as a close friend aswell. Conversation should then be no problem or atleast there should not be any wierd moments of silence. Some people are just not big conversationalist's anyway and enjoying the company of the person even without conversation is a huge factor. It is not like you are going to be in deep conversation 24/7.

Shy guys are definatly at a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to the whole relationship thing. I may very well be wrong but I think there are alot of women, a majority, who would instantly friend-zone a guy (or maybe not even friend-zone) if there is not easy conversation straight off. I think with guy's then it does not even matter alot of the time and sometimes might even find the shyness attractive.

sylvestris lybica said:

Thank you. There's no law or rule to attraction. Everyone is different. It's nothing that's set in stone. It's not one particular thing. Thank you for saying this.

Barbaloot said:
AFrozenSoul said:

Cool story, bro.

Lol, Barb. That was my first thought. Bunch of bullocks, isn't it?

Like others have said, I think shy guys are considered "cute" by some girls but maybe not relationship material.

Speaking from experience, although I wouldn't necessarily consider myself a shy person (just painfully introverted), shy people (and introverted people) are a lot harder to get to know. I get the feeling that not a lot of people are willing to put in the kind of effort to get to know a shy or introverted person, especially when there are so many other people to choose from who are open books.

I get the feeling that's my problem anyway. I just need to find someone who sees something in me and is willing to put the effort in to get to know me.

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
Ahh! :(

That is not something I needed to read, FrozenSoul.

Pay him no mind. He knows not of what he speaks, nor does he have the experience with women to make judgments about what their motivations are. He's just a bitter, misogynistic troll who jumps at every opportunity to demonize women. Unfortunately this forum does not suffer from any lack of that ridiculous mentality.

And nilla, indeed. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back