Does "Power Save" Mode Affect My "Defrag" Process?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.:)

Before I went to bed last night, I started a defrag with "Defraggler". I stayed up a little then went to bed. Before I retired, it stated that the estimated time it takes to finish was like 3h or something.

I woke up today and it was only 57% complete, and where the estimated time left was a day. We all now that after 20 minutes or so, the computer goes into power save mode and the screen goes black.

While I'm asleep is the power save mode influencing my defrag conduct? Does it slow the process in some way? My OS is Vista and I use Chrome.

Thank you for viewing.:)
-LK

If by power save you mean just the monitor getting turned off then it shouldn't. Unless you know of a way to defrag your monitor. ;)

blackdot said:
If by power save you mean just the monitor getting turned off then it shouldn't. Unless you know of a way to defrag your monitor. ;)
Hi blackdot.:)

What I mean by "Power Save" is when there is no activity on the computer
whatsoever for a given amount of time and the screen fades to black until an action is
taken by say, clicking your mouse or moving it.:)

well the screen saver will kick in even if there is activity going on in the background.

I don't think it does. My cousin told me once it's better for it to go idle, because the process runs faster and more efficient, or something like that.

Yes, when you leave things alone, background process have access to the CPU more often so they can run better.

If by "Power Save" you are talking about sleep mode, a manually activated defrag process can go into sleep mode and that will pause the defrag until you wake the machine up again. Your Vista machine came with three different power plans that you can switch to depending on your needs. Each power plan has the ability to set both when it turns the display off and when it puts the machine into sleep mode. You can add more plans if you have the need.

Yeah, you can't defrag when you sleep or hibernate the computer.

If you have a problem with your computer hibernating while the defrag process goes on, try using uTorrent or something similar to keep it awake. uTorrent, for example, will not let your computer shut down while it's running (and you mentioned that you love torrenting, so it's a thought!)

Danke Schoen!

medium_101497_wayne-newton.jpg

I used "Diskeeper Pro" and it defragged in only an hour or two! Granted it's only been a short while since I last defragged.

Latest posts

Back