Working out

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lonelyloser

To what extent does working out alleviate your low self-esteem and depression? I've found that it does wonders for me, the problem is getting the motivation to work out. I generally do a mixture of weights and cardio. Whenever I work out for about an hour, I come out feeling refreshed, and much more confident. My thoughts turn positive and I feel like I can conquer the world.

It' the same with me, working out really makes me feel good but it's getting up the motivation to actually work out is a different story, I usually go running, do sit ups and push ups, or play ping pong if available:p, it really does help though quite a bit:D

Working out does amazing things not only it makes my body look better but it gives confidence too. I recomend that everyone who feels down and lonely try to motivate themselves to work out and it will definently help

I've been tryng to get into woking out the past 4 years (I'm 18). I've to actually keep hold of it. It's true the hard part of working out is to actually start working out. In the end though, I find myself wiped to do anything else, especially when it comes to terms with my job.

Blah, I say to myself for making remedial excuses...I'm just lazy. I just look at it as more work...college, job, and working out...I guess that's life. Perhaps, I'd be in a better situation if I actually had kept going on my previous attempts.

In my next excuse, I don't like working out alone, but I don't like going to the gym...I know it's out of sense, but it makes it easier when someone is doing the same work as I am...or something of the sort...

Same here. I don't work out as regularly as I should, but when I do, I feel pretty good.

I've actually spent like half a dozen hours developing my perfect exercising schedule. It's all typed up on a text file on my desktop. Only problem is, I spend too much time planning and perfecting my routine and not enough time actually carrying it out...

Doesn't help me... just reminds me how unfit I am ;)

I never work out...I walk, sometimes, but i get very little vigorous excersize.

I've always wanted to work out but I've always been too scared to go to the gym (meeting new people, walking in the open etc.) Luckily, an acquaintance was joining and I tagged along so now I'm a member :) I'm very unift and just 30 mins of exercise killed me (my whole upper body is sore). But I've read that exercise makes the brain release serotonin which can help alleviate depression.

Yes the brain releases doses of serotonin, also there are psychological benefits such as an improved self-image. I quit working in offices and changed over to physical and outdoor careers over four years ago... it was the best thing I ever did for myself. I found this hugely improved my attitude in general over the years. Mind you I still get down, but nothing like when I worked office jobs under florescent lights all the time, and got no physical activity other than typing on a keyboard. There's certainly something to be said for a hard days labor. I would strongly suggest anybody that is in an office work out at least once a week.

When I was in college I had a very busy schedule, but I could always find an hour in the evening to speed walk/jog a few blocks. I liked night jogging because the local park was always empty. I don't like public gyms... two reasons... I don't like people watching me and there are always those nosy people that are rude and stare, the other would be people sweating all over equipment and leaving dirty towels, used band-aids etc... groooossss... so I bought a bunch of free weights, a bench, and a skipping rope to use in my basement. I find working out six days a week with 60% of your maximum weight to absolute exhaustion is good for building muscle... get 3000 calories at least though or else you won't gain much. Otherwise, if you want to keep tone and fit, three times a week with primarily cardio exercises work fine... but I find that everybody has to find what's best for them. I have an unnatural metabolism, so I burn weight waaaay to fast... I need to eat a lot, do heavy lifting, and do only minimal cardio or I lose all muscle tone.

Oh just to mention, when I was too poor to afford equipment, I would use whatever heavy objects were at my disposal for weights instead... full paint cans, pails filled with water, tire rims, etc... plus push-up, crunches, and jogging cost nothing. So no excuses... and, unless you are completely paralyzed, then any disabilities you have should not be an excuse... my cousin always says cause he messed up his shoulder that he won't play any sports for fun, or go workout. Just because he can't lift his left arm above his shoulder shouldn't exclude him from keeping fit or joining in on sports... its just an excuse for some other reason that he just doesn't want to share.

Lost in the Oilfield said:
I don't like public gyms... two reasons... I don't like people watching me and there are always those nosy people that are rude and stare, the other would be people sweating all over equipment and leaving dirty towels, used band-aids etc... groooossss...
Lmao...I have always had the same thinking!
And I would prefer nights too for jogging but then sometimes the nights are way too quiet that it gets a little scary lol..so I think mornings are still the best.

Yeh. Generally going to the gym means wearing revealing clothing (shorts)- which I NEVER do. Another reason why not.

I love night walks, especially when it's starry. I have walked drunk in pitch blackness totally alone before. Also fun (and stupid) and fun

There's this thing coming out for a game system called Wii. I don't know if you all have heard of it. It's by Nintendo. Anyway, there's this application called Wii Fit, which uses an external device that's being called a balance board. It looks like a scale, really. This board is basically a form of an input device. The force you apply to it will yield some output and stats will be calculated to accurately reflect the work you've put into the exercise. The Wii's standard input device, the Wiimote, is also applied. You do all kinds of little exercises with these devices, such as yoga, pushups, situps, jogging, and more. There are little mini-games integrated into the exercises, such as hula hooping and skeeing.

I have a Wii, and I'm thinking about getting this, as I've been wanting to find some motivation to consistently do the kinds of little exercises this application is said to encourage. And yes, exercise helps a great deal with stress and other mess.

lonelyloser said:
To what extent does working out alleviate your low self-esteem and depression? I've found that it does wonders for me, the problem is getting the motivation to work out. I generally do a mixture of weights and cardio. Whenever I work out for about an hour, I come out feeling refreshed, and much more confident. My thoughts turn positive and I feel like I can conquer the world.

At the beginning of last summer I started hitting the weights pretty hard. Made me feel better about myself, but it certainly didn't change my life in any drastic sense of the term. I went from being a lonely guy to being a lonely guy with muscle tone. I guess that's sort of an improvement.

Lost in the Oilfield said:
I don't like public gyms... two reasons... I don't like people watching me and there are always those nosy people that are rude and stare, the other would be people sweating all over equipment and leaving dirty towels, used band-aids etc... groooossss...

I think for guys at least doing weights is really important. When I run it feels good afterward but I don't really get any definition from it. Since I have a high metabolism the only way I can gain weight is if I eat a TON, work out 5 times a week, and drink the protein stuff with milk 2 times a day. People watch you at the gym? That's strange. I don't really care about the sweating over equipment cause I just shower after the gym anyway.

Plus the gym is a great way to meet people! Meeting people at a gym vs a bar is like night and day. Even the hottest girls at the gym will talk to me.
I guess it has to do with the whole safe environment thing. I always make it a point to go to the gyms with the best ratio.

Working out makes me feel better if I'm feeling really down.. motivation is something I lack though, as some of you have also said. I usually just run on the tredmill, cycle and either lift weights or do sit-ups. I've only been to a proper gym once, well it was the uni gym. I didn't like it.

tennisgirl said:
Working out makes me feel better if I'm feeling really down.. motivation is something I lack though, as some of you have also said. I usually just run on the tredmill, cycle and either lift weights or do sit-ups. I've only been to a proper gym once, well it was the uni gym. I didn't like it.

The first time I went to the gym I didn't like it either. But then it became addicting, like I needed to go every day. It was easy to do that in college because I knew so many people who wanted to go with me. Now it's a lot harder cause ppl have different schedules and are a lot further away. I try to go at least on a weekend if I can't go during the week. I like going because I'm around people and it's a positive environment.

i do a fair amount of exercise, and was really into sports when i was younger

my problem is that i can never find any friends that liked sports, it's be great if i had a friend i could work out with.

and i agree sometimes find it extremely hard to get enough motivation to work out. I haven't done anything for about 2 months since cross country got over.

I like swimming laps too. I like to go at a relaxed pace and it's really calming. Though I think running on a track is boring torture. I've just always felt the water to be alomst thermaputic, so i don't get bored very often one time i was able to get 60 laps in an hour. I recently got a membership to the Y because all the out door pools are closed now givin that its freezing outside now. I just got a pair of googles and if i can find a suit that fits i hope i can go tommorow. I also like playing racketball by myself. I just like smaking that rubber bouncy ball as hard as i can and trying to hit it again as it comes my way. though i get bored of that after awhile.

but it makes me feel good. And it feels good just knowing that i'm doing something thats healthy and good for me. I always like to eat after i exercise it just feels so much rewarding. and I'm lucky at the moment that i don't have to worry about my weight. I signed up to donate blood but they said i didn't weigh enough. hehe

But i do miss more contact sports like softball and soccer a lot. But it's not very much fun when you can never make friends with anyone on the team, the girls on my gross country team are nice, but we never have anything in common to talk about.

I want to go out for maybe soccer or softball at school again, but anouther reason i don't want to is even though i played those sports for a decade and always worked hard and praticed I never got very good at it. And that always just made me so mad, at how some of the other kids were so good.

Latest posts

Back