Finding happiness in the company of animals

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DesertWolf

I've suffered serious mental and physical bullying since my first day at school, and never had any real long-term friendships with other people... But I have lots of beautiful memories of non-human animals, particularly dogs, that I regularly spent time with. Some even defended me from bullies after school after I ran to them for help. A couple years ago I have finally had the opportunity to adopt my own dog, and he has made a huge difference in my life. I used to literally cry myself to sleep every night due to immense feelings of loneliness, but this has finally come to an end when he came into my life. I can finally hug someone while sleeping and feel loved and appreciated. I have much more strength and motivation to go on with my life. I no longer feel as suicidal as I used to because he has brought so much joy to my life, and I want to be there for him. He is very affectionate, sensitive to how I feel, and intelligent. I still long for some human company as well, but I definitely feel much less lonely now. I can only hope I make him as happy as he has made me.

Is there anyone else on this forum who has found non-human animals to be an amazing source of strength and love? Please share your stories. :)

This isn't my story, but I remember reading an article in my city's newspaper about an agency in the States which matches mentally or physically disabled kids with training dogs. Anyway, one family had a son who suffered from serious fetal alcohol syndrome. He could barely speak any more than one syllable words, he couldn't forumulate opinions on his own, he threw horrible tantrums in public and couldn't really engage with other people or think critically at all. All this and he was already around 8-9 years old.

Some of the individual stories are amazing, but what it came down to was a dog who could sense when he was getting angry and would force himself onto him and cuddle with him to calm him down. The boy has also begun speaking in full sentences, and engages in critical thinking. He's starting to finally be able to understand that his actions have consequences, and that other conciousnesses exist (the boy often wonders how his dog feels).

I'm sorry I couldn't give any names, I just remember reading this article in the past. I also remember that the founder of this agency is a woman with a disability, who after a lot of effort got a helper dog for herself. This dog was strictly trained to never answer a phone without being told to, however one night the dog sensed something was wrong. When a call came in from the owners brother, the dog picked up while his owner was asleep and continuily barked into the phone. Her brother called 911 and sure enough, her breathing tract had collapsed and she wasn't getting enough air. If it wasn't for the dog betraying orders in favour of something greater, she would have died, and maybe all the kids she places dogs with (around 600 a year now) would be without this amazing bond.

Dogs embody so many human values, from undying loyalty to empathy. So yeah, I definitely think dogs are a crucial part of society :p

I get what you mean by finding solace in animals. I kind of want a dog myself, considering I've never had one. Just a puppy I can take care of and raise and have around for company and some excitement would be nice.

Animals are good for lonely people, they don't discriminate due to shyness and they don't bully. Lol

i tend to have more compassion towards animals than people most times. the way i see it, animals may do stupid things that may hurt people but for the most part they dont know any better. humans know better.... and they still do stupid honeysuckle that hurts other people.

That is wonderful, dogs really make such good friends.. I am sure, the dog gets as much from it as you do.

The best friend I had when young, was a dog. Very much I miss her.

Also, dogs I find are much easier to get along with than people.. I can easily make a friend with dogs. They are often happy and enjoyable to be around. I do not have my own dog now, but I wish to adopt a big hairy mutt some day.

What I like about dogs is that they are far less deceptive than humans, not riddled with insecurities about showing and receiving affection (and other unhealthy attitudes drilled into our brains by human society), and (contrary to popular belief) not obsessed with dominating others as much as humans and other primates. All this makes it far easier for me to get along with them.

SophiaGrace said:
I love dogs except for when they pee in my house...

LOL, that's what house training is for. ;) Mine hasn't peed in the house since the first week we shared our lives together. But even if he did it all the time, I would love him no less; His caring personality more than makes up for it.

anthonyS13 said:
Aww what breed is he?

Siberian husky.

fox said:
The best friend I had when young, was a dog. Very much I miss her.

Yeah, if there's one thing I could change, it would be to give dogs a longer lifespan. :( Being able to bond with animals like that has a terrible price - losing the ones you care about to old age over and over again throughout your lifetime...

My cat, who died some years ago, got me through a lot of bad times. I remember when my mum died and I was sitting crying on the couch one evening on my own and my cat jumped up beside me, and put her paw on my arm and just sat there with me. Animals can be closer to us than people because they don't judge us, they give us love even if we mess up or fail at everything or most things, or if we don't fulfill society's image of what we 'should' be like.

I keep being told I should get a pet. The problem I have with getting a pet is that they are going to end up dying.
I see pets as having the opposite process as to what I am looking for.
A puppy/kitten is so enjoyable. They it gets older and is less enjoyable. Then it gets old and it gets sad watching it struggle. Then it's depressing when it dies.
I need something that works opposite. I need something that is depressing at first but gets better the longer it is around.
*laughs*

blackdot said:
I keep being told I should get a pet. The problem I have with getting a pet is that they are going to end up dying.
I see pets as having the opposite process as to what I am looking for.
A puppy/kitten is so enjoyable. They it gets older and is less enjoyable. Then it gets old and it gets sad watching it struggle. Then it's depressing when it dies.
I need something that works opposite. I need something that is depressing at first but gets better the longer it is around.
*laughs*

I am not sure you have that order right..
A puppy or kitten, it is cute, but also bounces off the walls and drives you crazy, and full potential of the bond is not there yet.. I am not sure about cats, but it is said "old dogs are the best dogs" and I think is very true. It is a dog you known for years who is the best friend, and who is very "in tune" to you, and who adapted to your routine so he or she always a constant companion by your side. There is novelty in a puppy but true friendship in a adult dog.

No, I have the order right. I like the energetic side of kittens/puppies. Once they get older, they lose that fun side and just lay around.

Fully understand your point of view, Blackdot. I've lost many dogs before that I was close to (didn't own them, but spent so much time with them I might as well have). I've had this debate with myself many times before. I've decided though that for me the joy of being able to share our lives together, no matter how short, far outweighs the inevitable tragedy at the end of the dog's life. Besides, every time you adopt a dog/cat, there's a chance you are saving one from homelessness or worse.

I agree with the topic, as I am very fond of dogs. I've only had one, which lasted 13 years. I loved him a lot, and like many have said, he could feel when I was sad and he cheered me up. Maybe he was unique, but he was lively until the day he died. He just never stopped playing and having fun. He died 6 years ago, and I still constantly have dreams with him in them :(

Gerardo, it isn't unique. I have a dog who's 11 and he's very lively.

A couple of days ago, I was having a panic attack at 2 in the morning. I went to lay down. My cat (who's 6 now) laid down next to me, and put his face on the back of my head, and started licking it and purring. I calmed down eventually.

I agree, animals can sense when you're upset or troubled.

Oh, I cannot WAIT to have my own pet! I love animals so much. I grew up playing with my neighbors' cats and dogs (my mom is scared of animals that try to rub against you/lick you, so we never had anything other than fish). Even now, if I go to a friend's house and they have a pet...I will probably spend 50% of my time there playing with their pet.

After I get my own place...a pet is high on my priority list. Not sure what I should get yet! I think a dog would get too lonely because the nature of my future job requires a lot of late nights. I'm worried a cat might be a bit distant...even though I understand them better cuz I've had more exposure to various cats.

somber_radiance said:
After I get my own place...a pet is high on my priority list. Not sure what I should get yet! I think a dog would get too lonely because the nature of my future job requires a lot of late nights.

If you get two dogs, they'll have each other for company when you're at work.

I have a dog that means the world to me. He is my best buddy don't know what I'd do without him.

Latest posts

Back