New here and ready for a change

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwburbs01

Reaction score
Why am I alone? Where do I start? Growing up (grade school and junior high) I had a lot of friends – I hung with the popular kids. Key Events in my life happened to me that have left me without a friend today.
My father died when my mom was three months pregnant with me and remarried when I was seven. I don’t have much of a relationship with my step-dad. All I know about my real dad is that he used to beat my mom (one time so bad that it caused her to lose a child) and cheat on her.
When I was in sixth grade- I went over to a friend’s house to play baseball. His German Sheppard got loose and attacked me. I was bite in face (it was split open ) and had to have a total of three surgeries on my face and ear to deal with the scarring/cosmetics. I was afraid to be around people after this happened.
Growing up (grade school) my mom would go on rampages and mood swings and was put into a mental hospital for a couple of weeks because they didn’t know what was wrong with her. I could never go to my parents when I needed advice or needed help with something…
In Eighth grade- things changed drastically. I still hung out with the cool/popular kids but that changed in the second half of this year. Basically all of my friends turned against me and I got the “nerd” label. Basically didn’t want to hang out with me anymore.
My first year in high school was horrible. I was singled out by a bully and he would threaten me and took my lunch money every day. I was teased by other classmates because I was tall and skinny.
Luckily the bullying stopped my sophomore year but I was still picked on and made fun of the rest of high school.
I did manage to make a friend at a part- time job my sophomore year in high school. We've grown apart every since college and I haven't talked to him in about three years.
I did not date at all in high school and did not have my first date until I was twenty years old and it wasn’t the greatest experience. I was so thrilled to have met someone that I thought that enjoyed spending time with me but that was short lived- ended it by telling me how I didn’t have any diseases and that she was sure that I’d meet someone someday. My dating options have been on-line and I’ve had a couple relationships but I’ve realized that I stayed in those relationships rather than be alone. I’ve been told I’ve very attractive but I think I turn most people off because I’m shy and don’t have much to talk about when I meet new people.
I worked and went to college and didn’t have time to meet new people/socialize since I was either at work; school, studying, or sleeping…

Right now- I don’t feel comfortable in large groups but prefer smaller groups of people. I’m at a point in my life where I’m just tired of being alone and dread the weekends of being by myself. I want to have friends but its hard meeting new people and not having the social skills to develop friendships.

Latest posts

Back