"Friends" or No Friends At All?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ak5

Reaction score
What do you guys think is better? To have "friends" in which you cannot really trust in, but you guys usually hang out; or having no friends at all?

That's a toughy. I want to say the first choice, but I almost think the second choice is a healthier choice. Since.. untrustworthy friends aren't true friends. :\

the first... yeah it's not ideal and I'm the kind of person who enjoys intimacy in a frienship but at least you have something which is way better than nothing.

I'd rather have no friends as opposed to ones that you can't trust. If you can't trust your friend, then it gets in the way of the friendship causes discord. Especially if you have a girlfriend.

Nothing. I'd rather be by myself than to have people around who I couldn't trust. At least I can trust myself.

Ak5 said:
What do you guys think is better? To have "friends" in which you cannot really trust in, but you guys usually hang out; or having no friends at all?

I have through most of my life chosen the latter. And I think because of that, I am so socially awkward, and overly sensitive. But I don't know if I could honestly live my life associating with people who I couldn't actually trust.

Yeah, it's true. Having a social circle can lead to making new friends.

For example, I was just invited to a party by a friend a few hours ago, before a concert. I can possibly make new friends there.

My social circle was destroyed fourteen years ago.
Having real friends again might be nice, I imagine.
But I no longer know how to be a friend to anyone, online or in person.
For the most part, I feel better off on my own- less trouble that way.

if you have "friends" aka aquaintances, at least you give yourself the opportunity to make real friends. I think people would be more likely to approach a person in a group than a person standing alone by themselves, so this advantage alone might help you make true friends, the ones you want.

Jilted John said:
There are friends,then there are acquaintances,just don't get the two mixed up.

That is a good point.

SophiaGrace said:
I think people would be more likely to approach a person in a group than a person standing alone by themselves, so this advantage alone might help you make true friends, the ones you want.

This is very true. I've noticed that most people don't like to hang out on a one-on-one basis. Unfortunately, that's the only situation that I am actually comfortable. It seems like if you want to hang out with a friend, you have to call up a whole bunch and organize a big, expensive outing.

I'd rather be one-on-one. I don't enjoy a bunch of people crowding up my breathing room.

I can count only 3 really...well...people I would count friends, around my age.

The rest are acquaintances.

I used to have trouble recognizing between the two, but I've gotten better. As I've been stabbed in the back, over and over, I've gotten better at recognizing who my real friends are.

I'd rather be alone than be with "friends", even if it's probably not the most tactical choice when it comes to the game of social life. I just have too much pride; I refuse to be with anyone who doesn't genuinely want to be with me.

Equinox said:
I'd rather be alone than be with "friends", even if it's probably not the most tactical choice when it comes to the game of social life. I just have too much pride; I refuse to be with anyone who doesn't genuinely want to be with me.

I agree with this.

Callie said:
Equinox said:

I agree with this.

I concur with Jen's agreement.

Latest posts

Back