The crying girl on Westminster Bridge - 18/02/2012

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My Lounge Act

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to put this thread, so I hope this is the best place for it.

Last night I went into London to take a few photos with my friend and his girlfriend. As we were walking back from Big Ben across Westminster Bridge, I could hear someone crying. At first I couldn't work out where it was coming from, but once the traffic going across the bridge died down, I noticed a girl on the other side of the road. It was her that was crying. I stopped my friends and said we should go and see if she was ok.

By this point she was crossing the road, albeit very slowly. I approached her and asked her if she was ok (stupid question, I know) and if there was anything I could do to help. She looked quite well dressed and has some shopping bags with her. She didnt seem drunk or as if she was on drugs. Just upset. She literally could not not stop crying and it seemed like she couldn't speak because of it. She kind of just ignored me as if I wasn't there and carried on walking. I got my friends girlfriend to try and speak to her as I didn't want to seem intimidating etc, and she got the same response from the girl. Just total nothingness.

The reason I am writing this is because I feel kind of guilty because after a few minutes, we just turned around and left her. What happened to her? What was making her so upset? Why didn't she want us to help her? Could we have even have helped her?

I kind of feel frustrated as well because it was like she was crying out for help, but just didn't take it when it was offered to her.

It was really sad to see. I swear London is the loneliest city in the world.

I see how that could unsettling but i too would be at a loss for how to help someone who won't talk to you. You tried and the fact that she didn't talk to you may have indicated that there was nothing that you could do for whatever it was that was troubling her.

That's a sad story and really makes you think, Lounge.
I don't know that you could have really done anything more than what you did. It was kind of you to check on her - a lot of people wouldn't have bothered.

Minus said:
I see how that could unsettling but i too would be at a loss for how to help someone who won't talk to you. You tried and the fact that she didn't talk to you may have indicated that there was nothing that you could do for whatever it was that was troubling her.
Yeah, you summed it up Minus, I was at a total loss as to what to do. You expect to be able to help, and when that happens your mind just goes blank.

EveWasFramed said:
That's a sad story and really makes you think, Lounge.
I don't know that you could have really done anything more than what you did. It was kind of you to check on her - a lot of people wouldn't have bothered.
That's exactly what my friend said: How many other people stopped her to see if she was ok? Probably none :(

Well, I actually find that's an extremely common response. People are gradually becoming more detached in such a digital society that they don't know how to interact with people even on a basic level. Let alone how to let another person they've never met support them emotionally. The idea is as foriegn as letting someone else brush their teeth.

Wow, she must have been in alot of pain, sounds like she was in shock. The fact that she couldnt even respond to you worries me. I get like that when i crack, i dont remember much anymore, but remember that im sort of in another world on my own, totaly disconnected. I hope she was able to get herself together enough to make it safely home.

Maybe she felt like she couldn't tell you, a complete stranger how she felt. I mean someone appearing out of the blue asking me if I was okay. Idk.

It toally sucks to have a melt down in public.
Whatever that was devistating was devistating.
Not surprressing our emotions is the most natrual and healties thing in the world.
But I have to behave a certain way in public so people dont think I'm crazy.
So i gotta stuff my mother fucken feelings until I get home or cry in private.
By the time I get home...it's stuffed and burried

Yes, when something traumatic happens. It hurts and it hurts really bad.
When I have a melt down. I dis engauge from the world.
In public or not. My pains and emotions arnt set to eastern standard time.
When it hits me...it hits me like a tons of bricks.
No one can fix me or say anything to me to make me feel better.
I'm not suppost to feel better or cover up my pains when honeysuckle gose wrong.
This way i dont trun into a walking mental and emotional baggages for years and years.

yes, the most anyone can do is makesure I'm not a danger to myself or others
when processing and releasing my emotions.
I wouldnt know what to tell anyone...cuase it just hurts very much when I fucken snap.

In anycase...at least she's not going to be a walking time bomb.
She simply release or releave pressure when it was required of her and when it needed to be release.

Once Ive let go of the pain (orginal source) theres really no need to talk about it anymore.
Talking about it again and again simply will just get a person to relive the pain over and over again.
Sometimes it'll become chornic or sufferning. Sufferning is reliving the same pains over and over again.

SophiaGrace said:
Maybe she felt like she couldn't tell you, a complete stranger how she felt. I mean someone appearing out of the blue asking me if I was okay. Idk.

I suppose you're right. I didnt think of it like that at the time. Just upsetting to see someone like that.

London is full of sad lonely people.They ignore each other to the point that if someone does give a s**t,they think they are going to get mugged!

At least you tried to do something.

And there is no telling what caused her to act that way. I had a breakdown once in public, and I could barely talk to people. So I know what that's like.

You just can't feel guilty for it, because if you reached out to her, and so did your girlfriend, someone else would have.

My Lounge Act said:
SophiaGrace said:

I suppose you're right. I didnt think of it like that at the time. Just upsetting to see someone like that.

I think you did the right thing though Lounge

It was really nice of you to approach her. Even if she didn't respond, it could have helped her to feel less alone, to know that there are decent people in the world who care.
Maybe she couldn't speak English?

Tiina63 said:
It was really nice of you to approach her. Even if she didn't respond, it could have helped her to feel less alone, to know that there are decent people in the world who care.
Maybe she couldn't speak English?

Yeah maybe. Hopefully she was ok in the end. Maybe she just had a bad day. We all have 'em.

In a similar vein Lounge,a few years back,I was driving an overnight coach up from London to Holyhead on Anglesey to catch the Irish ferry.As I was going over the Britannia Bridge over the Menai Straits,I noticed a guy standing in the middle looking down into the water.When I'd passed him,it dawned on me that in was 2.30am,and that pedestrians were not allowed on the bridge,so when I got to the other side I stopped at the first phone box to notify the police that a guy was stood in the middle of the bridge (which is a notorious jumping spot). The reply I got astounded me." What makes you think he intends jumping sir?" I explained the time and circumstances,to which they replied "Well we've got nobody around at the moment,but I'll log it and get someone over later"
To this day I don't know whether he jumped or not,but it makes you wonder if it's worth bothering again.

You know the title of this thread sounds like it should be the title of a ghost story!

Jilted John said:
What makes you think he intends jumping sir?"

*Facepalm!*

Jilted John said:
In a similar vein Lounge,a few years back,I was driving an overnight coach up from London to Holyhead on Anglesey to catch the Irish ferry.As I was going over the Britannia Bridge over the Menai Straits,I noticed a guy standing in the middle looking down into the water.When I'd passed him,it dawned on me that in was 2.30am,and that pedestrians were not allowed on the bridge,so when I got to the other side I stopped at the first phone box to notify the police that a guy was stood in the middle of the bridge (which is a notorious jumping spot). The reply I got astounded me." What makes you think he intends jumping sir?" I explained the time and circumstances,to which they replied "Well we've got nobody around at the moment,but I'll log it and get someone over later"
To this day I don't know whether he jumped or not,but it makes you wonder if it's worth bothering again.

Things like this make me really angry, why the hell do they even question it? I don't even know what to say.

Some wear testers reported the 851's feather weight comes at the expense of the monster beats comfort that is a New Balance trademark, though the shoe scored an 8.8 in the cushioning category. The herringbone monster headphone outsole offers a slightly simpler traction pattern than the more expensive 1187. If you're a big, strong, physical player with a tendency to punish shoes, you may want to try the heavier 1187.In our past beats by dr dre reviews of New Balance shoes, wear testers have praised their performance and fit, though some pointed to the sometimes bland cosmetics and bulky weight beats dr dre as two areas the brand could improve.
Beats By Dre Studio
Beats Tour Black
Beats By Dre Tour White
Monster Jamz Headphones
Monster Turbine Pro Copper
You realize the majority of earphones an individual discard the Beats By Dre guidelines since you eliminate these whenever you rip all of them out of the bundle, these kinds of actually Beats By Dr Dre have a great user guide that informs you concerning the characteristics and how to have Monster Beats used them.Among the greatest functions will be the Dr Dre Beats removable headphone cable. Along with headphones, the speaker drivers themselves extremely seldom goe bad, exactly what generally will go bad is the cable Dr Dre Headphones proper exactly where that attaches to the headset.
Ferrari Beats Studio
Graffiti Beats Studio
Graffiti Beats Studio White
[url=http://www.beatsbydrecheapforsale.com/graffiti-beats-studio-by-dr-dre-red-monster-headphones-limited-edition_p37.html]Graffiti Beats Studio Red

iBeats By Dr Dre
iBeats By Dr Dre Red Black
iBeats By Dr Dre Red white
One of the some other Portland Trail Blazers neat reasons for this headset, there is a nice padded Sacramento Kings vacation situation by using it which also has the tote to keep the actual San Antonio Spurs accessories that are included with the actual headset in addition to any little 2011 MLB all star jerseys accessories you might need for your device. The case in fact features a good Arizona Diamondbacks freezer to ensure that it's going to be as durable because the headsets do.

Latest posts

Back