Advice or venting?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joejoeyjoseph

Reaction score
I can't tell the difference between someone venting and someone asking for advice. I also think it's rude to make a statement that seems like you're asking for advice and then tell the person trying to help that they're basically not being helpful. Does this happen to anybody else? Do people not expect responses or something? I was talking to someone earlier who said they needed help learning motor skills. I said I was a drummer and offered some advice to help them but that they would have to work slowly and practice every day in order to learn. Then they were just going on in total disagreement and dismissal from there saying they only wanted to spend a short amount of time getting their problems fixed??? I also tried to help someone who said they didn't think something that made them different was important but that it was a weakness. I said that what makes a difference a weakness and the reply was "No". Is this happening to anyone else or should I just hide in a corner forever and never try to help anyone ever again? What's the deal?

Consider context and tone. It is pretty easy for the average human to become offended over nothing. I would say it is pretty easy to tell the difference between attention seeking behaviour and actual requests for help. Make a note wether any actual questions have been made or if they just sound like they need to vent something out. Humanity has a long list of complainers, hell Im one of the best :)

This happens A LOT! People will ask for advice but when it's not what they want to hear they go on the offensive and lash out at those. Then there are some that just want to twist things and create something that isn't there for their own sick amusement. Sometimes it's figuring out whether or not the person replying is being genuine or just an ass. That happens A LOT as well. To me, when someone is asking for advice they are going to have to expect a varying of opinions. Everyone has their own. Some you'll want to hear, others you won't. Then ignoring the jerks who just want to irritate you further.

When venting, people will still give their advice, you'll have to expect that as well. There are people who are just wired that way.

Thanks for the clarity guys. I was looking for questions being asked and they were apparently rhetorical or just something else altogether... These forums didn't seem to be a place of amusement to me and I thought that people would be asking and receiving advice with a little more maturity. I know it's not everyone who acts like this, I just must have very back luck.

I'm glad to learn this doesn't just happen to me though. I was feeling very singled out and I hate that more than anything - especially when I'm taking my time to help someone.

Sci-Fi said:
This happens A LOT! People will ask for advice but when it's not what they want to hear they go on the offensive and lash out at those. Then there are some that just want to twist things and create something that isn't there for their own sick amusement. Sometimes it's figuring out whether or not the person replying is being genuine or just an ass. That happens A LOT as well. To me, when someone is asking for advice they are going to have to expect a varying of opinions. Everyone has their own. Some you'll want to hear, others you won't. Then ignoring the jerks who just want to irritate you further.

When venting, people will still give their advice, you'll have to expect that as well. There are people who are just wired that way.

Oh yeah lol.

Latest posts

Back