Do You Ever Try To Help Someone And End Up Making Their Problem Worse?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score

Lately, every time I try to help or comfort someone in pain, my efforts have ended up making their problem worse. Sometimes what I'm thinking comes out differently. My life is one giant episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm". I feel like Larry David. Does this ever happen to you?

I've never seen that show so I have no idea who that character is. :D

The problem I have is when someone asks for my help, I give it, they don't take it (totally up to them), but then come back and complain cause they should have.

:club:

You never know what that person might want though. Some people just want you to pity them and feel sorry for them. Some people want a pep talk and reminders of the good things in their life. It's less of what you'd want someone to do if it were you, and more of, what does that person want.

LoneKiller said:

Lately, every time I try to help or comfort someone in pain, my efforts have ended up making their problem worse. Sometimes what I'm thinking comes out differently. My life is one giant episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm". I feel like Larry David. Does this ever happen to you?

Making problem worse? I don't recall you do... lol

Anyway, if you think your doing the right thing, it is the only thing that matters.

Ak5 said:
LoneKiller said:

Making problem worse? I don't recall you do... lol

Anyway, if you think your doing the right thing, it is the only thing that matters.
Very funny. I shall petition to bjarne for your immediate dismissal from these forums.:p

I will try to help anybody any way I can, but if I start to feel I am just making it worse I will usually just crawl back to my hole till I am summoned again.

Bjarne isn't here. You can ask the Mods to dismiss me, but I got them all bribed. :D

LoneKiller said:

If it was, it would be funny when bad stuff happens to me. :D

Great show though.

FreedomFromLiberty said:
LoneKiller said:

If it was, it would be funny when bad stuff happens to me. :D

Great show though.
lol

LoneKiller said:

Yes! Almost everything I do creates another problem. haha

This is why good help is so hard to find. You feel like you should be helping but you also think that it's going to do harm for this and that reason. Online you can't really send good energy to people without saying anything or I haven't figured out how to yet. In real life a passing smile can really make someone feel good about their self but online a :D may come across as sarcastic or trolling. Interesting thoughts...

Sci-Fi said:
I've never seen that show so I have no idea who that character is. :D

The problem I have is when someone asks for my help, I give it, they don't take it (totally up to them), but then come back and complain cause they should have.

:club:

You never know what that person might want though. Some people just want you to pity them and feel sorry for them. Some people want a pep talk and reminders of the good things in their life. It's less of what you'd want someone to do if it were you, and more of, what does that person want.
larry_david.jpg

Ak5 said:
Bjarne isn't here. You can ask the Mods to dismiss me, but I got them all bribed. :D
I wonder if they accept "Paypal". I never thought to ask.

"Curb Your Enthusiasm" is a comedy show on HBO much like "Seinfeld". Set in California, this show stars Larry David(Co-Creator Of "Seinfeld") and his daily "Comings and Goings". Some of the most ridiculous things happen to him.

On one episode, he was given a bench seat at a Lakers game. Shaq was walking by Larry to get ready to go in the game. Larry David wasn't paying attention, and decided to stretch his legs. Not aware of Shaq going by him, he accidentally trips Shaq while stretching his legs, putting O'Neal out of commission with a knee injury.

Latest posts

Back