Bi-Polar Disorder

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

Ox Blood

Sorry if there is a thread around already like this.

Curious... For those of you diagnosed with BPD (Bi-Polar Disorder), or have loved ones with it --

What were the first symptoms you experienced?
When were you diagnosed? If so, what were the "key" things that led to your diagnosis?
Was drug-abuse a factor?
Did symptoms progressively worsen?
Do you have a family history of BPD?
Are you on medication? If so, do you feel that it helps relieve your symptoms?

Feel free to add your stories... Thank you.

I've never experienced this with a loved one, but I had a manager and employee who dealt with it, and the employee I believe was in denial that he too suffered from bi-polar disorder. He was, at times, very difficult to deal with. His family had a history of it, and I'm pretty sure drug use was a factor. He progressively became worse until he snapped and caused his own dismissal.

My former manager had a wife who was bi-polar, it eventually split up their marriage because she refused to take medication for her condition. He wasn't sure how to deal with it and just went through the motions for years, thinking it was just normal married life. He was very unhappy in the marriage but was willing to stick it out. She left him and afterwards got the help she needed. Sadly though it was too late since it drove a wedge between her and her daughter.

I know it was very difficult on both men to go through it with someone they loved, to the point where it destroyed that love and pushed them apart. Even during their divorce both admitted to saying that their ex's put them through pure hell. They know it wasn't intentional.

It was very interesting to listen to them talk about it, at least to me.

Thanks for responding, Sci-Fi.

Been wondering if I should get screened for it. The disorder runs in my family; among other mental illnesses. I've read that certain events can trigger it...
Hah, it's actually been one of my worst fears -- and starting to think I might have enough reasons to think it's probable...

Anyone else care to add stories/experiences?

I have a friend who is bi polar. She was very unwell some years ago, very delusional-she believed that the world was about to be flooded. I didn't know her at the time and have only got to know her since she has been on medication and stablised becuase of it. She was lucky enough to have a strong family support network, too, which helped her a lot.

*hugs* Thank you, Soph...

Even if I don't agree, it still means a lot to hear it.

hate to sound like a ****** again... but I thought it was just a made up "condition"

Psychologists started out just treating mental patients with experimental procedures. shock therapy, drug administration... whatever else they did in one flew over the coo coos nest.

now they are drug dealers. nothing sells better than a story. and the story is... everyone is sick.

because apparently, all of a sudden, they know what a perfect brain looks like.... no... the brain is one of the most complex things in the universe. we are all uniquely adapted.

besides, love is the best cure.
my intention was to spread some of that cure... but maybe its poison.. im not sure what the effects are....

Made up and misdiagnosed are completely different things Mad. Little Timmy is a handful, we'll call it ADD and give him some ritalin. There are people out there who are genuinely suffering from mental illnesses and need the medication, but the majority are looking for quick fixes and excuses for their problems instead of solutions. So people find something that sounds remotely like what they are feeling and it's not their fault anymore that they are mean to everyone, because they have have Imanass syndrome. All of this leads to the general public believing that mental illnesses aren't real and those that need help don't get it.

Ox,
Growing up with a mother that was Bi-Polar and didn't know it was . . . to say the least unpleasant. Now that she knows what is wrong she takes medication and it does help.

kaetic, I agree with you. Mental illness isn't taken as seriously as it should be. That, or it is widely misunderstood. For example, many are under the impression that Schizophrenia often means having a "split personality" -- which is untrue.

I will also agree that some doctors dole out medication like candy. But like anything else, that's the way pharmaceutical companies make bank. On the other hand, medications are used to rule out particular mental illnesses as well by studying how one responds.

Like you, I also have a family history of mental illness. My father is Bi-Polar/Schizophrenic. Though he did show symptoms at a young age, it's gotten progressively worse with drug and alcohol abuse. Unfortunately, he is beyond treatment and does not respond to any medication. As a result, he no longer has guardianship of himself, and is what most would describe as "legally insane". To anyone who discredits mental illnesses as being "made-up", I would invite for them to spend five minutes in a room with my father.

My sister has been diagnosed as being Bi-Polar.

My grandfather is diagnosed as being Bi-Polar.

Great-grandfather was put in prison in his country for being "insane".

This is all from only one side of the family.

I've also with an ex for three years that was diagnosed with as Bi-Polar/Schizophrenic...

Don't really know what I am looking for out of this thread -- perhaps just those who have any sort of experience with it or have been surrounded by it.

Debating whether or not I should be screened... But it really is one of my worst fears. I see the stigma that is associated with mental-related conditions, and witnessed the nasty side-effects that the medication can cause. I wonder whether it would be worth it at all, and whether or not I would be open to the treatment anyways.

Therapy/counseling hardly worked because I "saved face". If I was blunt and honest... I think I would be committed.

MadMonkè said:
hate to sound like a ****** again...

No you don't.

Bipolar Disorder can mimic Borderline Personality disorder. I had a friend that was diagnosed with BP, but it wasn't til she was diagnosed with BPD that she got better.

She's a lovely person.

Shells, you may want to consider having a general mental health screening to rule out other possibilities. I wish I could point you to a specific test. It probably would be called a mental health assessment. Those cost a bit of $$. But, you could start by discussing your concerns with a counselor and having them make a suggestion for you.

There's also an answer section at psychcentral that get answeered by mental health professionals. Answers.psychcental.com (I think) and if not just go to psychcental.com ad poke around unil you find it. . You might want to try asking your questions there. Its free as far as I know.

LeaningIntoTheMuse: Completely understandable. Though, I hope you know it's nothing to feel ashamed about -- and I hope nothing about the way the questions were asked made you feel that way.

Latest posts

Back