What does it mean to be "cool"?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyYogi

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was on FB today and I was reading a woman's post and how she described someone she met as "cool".

This woman is in her 40's!

Not a huge deal but it irritated me. Cool? Really? Is that really important still?

If I were to meet someone new that I liked, I don't think I'd use the word "cool". I'd maybe say she is funny, or lighthearted, or intelligent. But I wouldn't say "cool".

I'd expect that from high schoolers or young adults.

What do they mean by "cool" I wonder?

I don't find the word cool, cool lol. :p

Middle-aged. She's feeling old, reverts to using "cool" from her younger years.

High schoolers or young adults indeed.. its been around for years :p

"Ronald Perry writes that many words and expressions have passed from African American Vernacular English into Standard English slang including the contemporary meaning of the word "cool."[11] The definition, as something fashionable, is said to have been popularized in jazz circles by tenor saxophonist Lester Young.[12] This predominantly black jazz scene in the U.S. and among expatriate musicians in Paris helped popularize notions of cool in the U.S. in the 1940s."

The Good Citizen said:
"Ronald Perry writes that many words and expressions have passed from African American Vernacular English into Standard English slang including the contemporary meaning of the word "cool."[11] The definition, as something fashionable, is said to have been popularized in jazz circles by tenor saxophonist Lester Young.[12] This predominantly black jazz scene in the U.S. and among expatriate musicians in Paris helped popularize notions of cool in the U.S. in the 1940s."

Arse you got there before me!

I'm 45 and it's sitill in my vocabulary- not likely to change. Anytime I use it it's meant as a compliment or an expression of appreciation.

There's even a smilie for it- :cool: seems to me it's very much an accepted word in our vocabulary.

As for the middle-aged remark and feeling old my experience is that there are many of us who fit into the category of being older but feel youthful, I'd rather be that person appreciating life than be a younger person acting old and being miserable not appreciating what life has to offer.

That's my 2 cents.

I think 'cool' applies to the sort of person who is the opposite of what I am. Someone who doesn't blush easily, who always has something witty and interesting to talk about, who quickly and easily becomes the centre of attention, who knows what to wear with what, who has heard of the latest films/plays etc. The sort of person I can't stand as I feel they look down on me:(

Cool as in an atmospheric temperate description of one's personality. Not hot, warm, and uncomfortable. Cool as in comfortable, easy to vibe with. It's not cool if you are bothered by a particular vocabulary, but then again, being cool isn't everything, you dig?

TropicalStarfish said:
Cool as in an atmospheric temperate description of one's personality. Not hot, warm, and uncomfortable. Cool as in comfortable, easy to vibe with. It's not cool if you are bothered by a particular vocabulary, but then again, being cool isn't everything, you dig?

^To be remotely anything like Trops over there.^ :cool:

I hope you are not talking about me because I don't feel old at all. In fact I was told the other day I look 15 years younger and I have a lot of joy in life. I appreciate more than you can even imagine!

That wasn't the point anyways. I dont' use the term not because I don't feel young, but because it just sounds sort of immature at this stage of my life. I am less interested in someone's "coolness" than other aspects of who they are. That is all.

Lonely in BC said:
As for the middle-aged remark and feeling old my experience is that there are many of us who fit into the category of being older but feel youthful, I'd rather be that person appreciating life than be a younger person acting old and being miserable not appreciating what life has to offer.

That's my 2 cents.

I think I know why it's irritating. And yes, it's only mildly so...just a passing thought. But all of you who are talking about being "cool", there isn't that much substance. People who try to be cool are often not that deep or preoccupied with being "cool" instead of just being nice, sweet, open, funny, whatever. And I realize something..>I don't care if someone is "cool" in the sense that is described above. I like people who I can have good conversations with, trust, share, have fun with, etc. cool or not.

Latest posts

Back